Player Discussion Warren Foegele - next contract?

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Even with
Wrong time to be thinking about a contract extension for this player.

He’s got 15 points on this 14 game win streak. He’s playing great hockey, but that production is unprecedented for him and highly unlikely to ever be repeated. He was on pace for 30 points this season prior to this stretch of wins.

I think there are better gambles every offseason, even at his current pay grade.

Even with 15 in 14, he still feels a bit feast or famine with his production. One 5 point and three 2 point games over that stretch will do that.
I still think his proper home should be on the 3rd line with Hollloway and Perry, but he's earned this tour in the top 6.

As for his next contract he's likely getting a Benoit Pouliot special. Good on him to preform during a contract year and earn that, but that's the type of contract a team that's up against the cap can't/shouldn't offer.

Reactions: TB12

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Other than his contract year, he’s been a disappointment. I wouldn’t offer him anything more than $3M/year.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The guy was playing at a 30 point clip before this hot streak pretty much what he's been his whole career. Now he's on a heater that brought him up to a 50 point pace.

I think there is a wait and see approach with the player at this point. I'd love him back around what he is making now, but if he continues this pace and/or has a very good playoffs he'll be too much for us.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I'd be funny if Foegele is the piece that gets teams to take Campbell off our hands lol

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
He’s taking a pay cut if I’m signing him. This is the first stretch he’s played up to his contract. I’d offer him term as incentive and let him make his choice. 5 or 6 years at 2.0-2.5 with a partial NTC. If he wants to take the money elsewhere, he’s welcome to

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Foegele's agent:

Huberdeau: 6G, 26PTS, -14 in 46 games
Foegele: 10G, 26PTS, +1 in 43 games

"As you can see, my client clearly deserves about $10 million dollars using this comparable".

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Everything depends on the result of the season. If Oilers win the post season tournament, our UFA's will have suitors. Foegele is probably the hardest workinh forward on the team. That is a very attractive asset for any NHL team, along with his age, might be tough to keep him

Imo, the one UFA we absolutely must sign, is Vincent Desharnais. He's such a rare breed with a unique mix of attributes. He's evolving rapidly, and there will a plethora of suitors at his step come July. I hope he stays loyal, and with his bff Skinner. He's so important to this team, and imo, will end up a top pairing dman. Toronto wanted him badly for a reason

Hopefully both Foeg Daddy and Desy sign extensions. They're both right in their prime, and so is the team

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Warren Foegele is one of the only significant UFAs on the Oilers this upcoming summer. He's having a massive season - I've always liked the player, but he's totally outperforming what I'm sure any of us could've imagined at the beginning of the season. Based on the team's cap structure going forward, it seems likely that the team won't be able to retain him, so I ask the following:

- what do you think the Oilers are willing/able to offer Foegele on a next contract?
- what kind of offers do you think he'll get from elsewhere?

I'd imagine the Oilers would feel comfortable with something like $3.5m x 4, but Foegele I'd bet is looking for (and will get offers for) $4m+.
He will price himself. 3M is probably as far as the Oilers can/should go, but he will get 4 million on the open market if he scores 40 points.

If he keeps playing like this I'd like to see him back. That said I wouldn't go a penny over $3.5 million AAV for him and I'd honestly be reluctant to give him that. IMO it's a bit of a character flaw for guys that only do well in contract years. Where was the commitment to improve prior to that?
Horcoff syndrom.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I don't see him sticking around. This summer is probably his last chance at a real payday. Someone will bite and we can't really afford to bring him back at his current rate let alone a raise.

He's also an entirely replaceable player even as good as he has been.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I don't think it's a good idea to give big money and term to a player who suddenly figures it out at age 27. He's been a 25-30 pts player until this season and i would bet that he'll most likely be something close to that going forward.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If we can clear some cap space (Campbell out) Foegele has a chance of staying.. I hope it's a one year or a front loaded deal so it doesn't mess up Drai/Bouchard contracts.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't think it's a good idea to give big money and term to a player who suddenly figures it out at age 27. He's been a 25-30 pts player until this season and i would bet that he'll most likely be something close to that going forward.
I would like to re-sign the player, I think he's found a level consistency at the NHL level that will be helpful, but if he's looking for what I suspect, I don't know the Oilers can or should. And that's fine.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i think the oilers offer a decent 2-3 yr deal and it will entriely up to foegele if he wants to have a chance at a stanley cup or 3 or take the money elsewhere for his future and family. being 27 i think he goes for the money if he was 33 id think he would chase the cup

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
This is a perfect example of a player you let walk and fill the position internally with a young elc player or someone who’s already signed through next year. Seems like a good dude, but he won’t fit in with our cap structure. McLeod or Holloway can take his minutes.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

No idea who they are, but whatever model they use has Foegele at 3.5M x 4 years as a contract comparable.

How do we feel about that? 750k raise isn't too outlandish.

Just posting this here for this thread.

I think that’s a reasonable projection, and they’ve obviously put some math into the whole thing in order to project. So 4x3.5M essentially could he Foegeles next contract. That makes sense to me, considering the uptick in his game this year, he’s also getting noticed around the League with his play.

If that’s the projection, i would ask Foegle to take a longer term to get that cap hit down. 3Mx6 and he’s part of our core like Nuge, Hyman, Nurse etc for many years. At that price too, he’s always going to be tradeable as a fast, huge winger with a great motor. I think you need to reward Foegele here and give him a chance to be part of the core now. Well liked in the room too… he’s a line up spot we could have Penciled in for many years and not have to worry about.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
With the Brown bonus, I think we have to replace Foegele with a league min contract. Hopefully Bourgault can step up, or we find a good player cheap.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
With the Brown bonus, I think we have to replace Foegele with a league min contract. Hopefully Bourgault can step up, or we find a good player cheap.

Brown signing at league minimum to average out his overpaid bonus wouldnt be the worst thing, if he finally gets his game together at the end of the year.

Reactions: oobga

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Brown signing at league minimum to average out his overpaid bonus wouldnt be the worst thing, if he finally gets his game together at the end of the year.

Would be nice if he would do that after this season. 2 years with avg ~2.5M would be a reasonable way for things to work out. Maybe takes the pressure off him too if he's feeling any after the fat bonus for 0 goals.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Would be nice if he would do that after this season. 2 years with avg ~2.5M would be a reasonable way for things to work out. Maybe takes the pressure off him too if he's feeling any after the fat bonus for 0 goals.

Yeh in my fantasy wishful thinking scenario. Brown is complete shit value for us this year, but if he finally breaks out he becomes a bargain next year.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Guy's having a career year right before he needs a new contract. I've seen this before and you stay the hell away. Try and find a cheaper replacement instead.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
He's going to the Flames in a trade for Tanev as per the Shames fanboys. It is Ceci, Foegele, Holloway and the 1st for the impending free agent! A trade with the Edmonton Oilers for Chris Tanev could make sense for both teams

Guy's having a career year right before he needs a new contract. I've seen this before and you stay the hell away. Try and find a cheaper replacement instead.
Yeah, he's going to get 4 million on a 4 year contract somewhere, but it won't be with the OIlers.

Yeh in my fantasy wishful thinking scenario. Brown is complete shit value for us this year, but if he finally breaks out he becomes a bargain next year.
Actually Brown at a league minimum would be a good player to have. At worst he's a PB guy who can kill penalties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad