Blue Jays Discussion: waiting on the right moves to materialize

Status
Not open for further replies.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
wow... I am so jealous of that deal. We didn't have the pieces to give up to get him. Billy Beane is having an interesting offseason, playing like it's MLB 15 the show. They have a nice infield now... If Lawrie is healthy that will be quite impressive for them, and you know they can pitch

Yeah Billy Beane seems to be making it up as he goes... pop gun offence but they've got good pitching and D though. You know the A's are going to find some way to be in playoff contention come September

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
What the hell are the Athletics doing? They are receiving little returns for their players while paying more to acquire guys with less control.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Boog Powell is also going to the Rays. Rays get Jaso who will help the team but rest? Those guys are a little bit away from the majors so I don't think Rays are getting much help anytime soon.

They have pitching but that's about all they got.

Orioles and Yankees haven't done much in the off-season either. If Jays can just spend some money and fix their holes at bullpen and 2B, they could run away with the division.

Yanks have a few players that are another year older, Sabathia and Tex as examples who have been declining as well.

Wish the Jays would get a 2b.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I'm quite sure Billy Beane knows what he is doing.

But you have to admit, it's a strange offseason. Seemed like they we're rebuilding all of a sudden then suddenly buyers again. Why deal your best player for prospects/underachieving young guys?

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I actually like what Beane did. His team is still capable of competing, he just changed the complexion of them without really changing the style they want to employ.

Crisp (CF)
Zobrist (LF)
Lawrie (3B)
Davis (1B)
Butler (DH)
Reddick (RF)
Vogt (C)
Escobar (SS)
Semien (2B)

Phegley
Gentry
Sogard
(Someone that can hit lefties well?/Davis platoon)

Gray
Kazmir
Pomeranz
Hahn
Chavez/Nolin/Parker/Griffin/Graveman

Doolittle
Cook
Alvarez
Abad
Otero
O'Flaherty
Someone that doesn't make rotation

Butler was weird and they could really use Norris but if Lawrie bounces back and stays healthy they could really do some damage. If Lawrie goes down, Semien slides to 3B, Zobrist to 2B, and then Gentry or someone else takes over starting LF duties. Big pro is that they have a ton of versatility, as usual.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
How good were those prospects that the Rays got back?

Robertson was their best prospect. 20 year old prospect that crushed A+ and could come up within a year for the Rays depending on their aggressiveness. He might be better off in the future at 2B though, which makes some sense any ways since Franklin can play SS well.

I don't know much about Powell but judging by his season he seemed to have rocketed up rankings with his performance. Solid discipline, though virtually no power. Also he was suspended 50 games after testing positive for amphetamines. He came back and did very well in the Arizona Fall League.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
wow... I am so jealous of that deal. We didn't have the pieces to give up to get him. Billy Beane is having an interesting offseason, playing like it's MLB 15 the show. They have a nice infield now... If Lawrie is healthy that will be quite impressive for them, and you know they can pitch

Zobrist would have been a great piece for the Jays. Maybe Tampa didn't want him going somewhere in the division, but really, what do they care? If they've decided they're not going to contend, who cares where the players go? All that matters is the return.

Zobrist has just one year remaining on his deal, correct?

I don't know anything about the prospects the A's gave up, but man that would have been a solid deal for Toronto.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Zobrist would have been a great piece for the Jays. Maybe Tampa didn't want him going somewhere in the division, but really, what do they care? If they've decided they're not going to contend, who cares where the players go? All that matters is the return.

Zobrist has just one year remaining on his deal, correct?

I don't know anything about the prospects the A's gave up, but man that would have been a solid deal for Toronto.

Pompey would have probably been the likeliest comparable for us. Proximity + inside division cancels out. Plus it guts a thin position from us.

Last edited:

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Yep can only assume the A's have got more, shorter term contracts in all these deals ? And perhaps a lower payroll as well?

They will still be there come next September. He doesn't quickly become a bad mg overnight. Very smart guy.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I actually like what Beane did. His team is still capable of competing, he just changed the complexion of them without really changing the style they want to employ.

Crisp (CF)
Zobrist (LF)
Lawrie (3B)
Davis (1B)
Butler (DH)
Reddick (RF)
Vogt (C)
Escobar (SS)
Semien (2B)

Phegley
Gentry
Sogard

Gray
Kazmir
Pomeranz
Hahn

Doolittle
Cook
Alvarez
Abad
Otero
O'Flaherty

Butler was weird and they could really use Norris but if Lawrie bounces back and stays healthy they could really do some damage. If Lawrie goes down, Semien slides to 3B, Zobrist to 2B, and then Gentry or someone else takes over starting LF duties. Big pro is that they have a ton of versatility, as usual.

I can't see Lawrie batting 3rd, but then again I can't exactly say who would

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I could easily see them do it. But I can easily see them put Reddick there too (and have Davis/Butler flipped).

What has he done at the major league level that warrants him batting 3rd in a major league lineup. I think that if you have Brett hitting 3rd, safe to say that you're not a contender unless he massively improves at the plate. He shouldn't be anyone's best hitter.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
What has he done at the major league level that warrants him batting 3rd in a major league lineup. I think that if you have Brett hitting 3rd, safe to say that you're not a contender unless he massively improves at the plate. He shouldn't be anyone's best hitter.

Maicer Izturis once hit third for a portion of 2009 for the NL West champion Angels.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS

Crisp (CF)
Zobrist (LF)
Lawrie (3B)
Davis (1B)
Butler (DH)
Reddick (RF)
Vogt (C)
Escobar (SS)
Semien (2B)

Phegley
Gentry
Sogard

Gray
Kazmir
Pomeranz
Hahn

Doolittle
Cook
Alvarez
Abad
Otero
O'Flaherty

They'll also have Parker and Griffin once they're back from TJ. They also could resign Soto to be the right handed hitting backup C as Phegley is rather bad.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Marlins looking at signing dirks. I would like us to bring him back on a minor league deal. Maybe he's just holding out for a big league deal

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
•The Blue Jays have been linked to free agent John Axford and there are several reasons why they would make sense for the closer, including proximity to his hometown, as Richard Griffin of the Toronto Star writes. “Living and growing up not too far away from Toronto — Port Dover, Ont. — I lived just under two hours away,” Axford said of the proximity factor. “Growing up a Blue Jays fan, that would be a big deal for me, definitely. I still live close to Toronto, about 45 minutes away in the off-season, still close to home. So, yeah, it would definitely be big for me, but I’m not going to shut out any team.”

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/01/al-east-notes-blue-jays-axford-zobrist.html

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Like most players he's probably holding out for more money/term. Secondly a closers role if at all possible despite his many BB for a closer.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Like most players he's probably holding out for more money/term. Secondly a closers role if at all possible despite his many BB for a closer.

I think it's almost a guarantee he's not going to get a closers role, and also anything more than a 1 year deal.

We've got a lot going for us for the reclamation guys (which is not a bad route as far as filling BP roles). We have a closers role that is pretty much open for competition, dedicated money to fill relief roles and Russell Martin behind the plate.

Ax is certainly not an answer but he's another bullet in the chamber as far as filling those late inning roles. Hoping he and/or Delabar can regain form is better than having delabar only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad