Waddell and Brind’Amour Media Availability?

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I’m really looking forward to
See how Waddell defends his trade deadline with the acquisitions and how it didn’t work , and if he thinks he should stay on as GM

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
See how Waddell defends his trade deadline with the acquisitions and how it didn’t work , and if he thinks he should stay on as GM

“I decided to keep my valuable picks and prospects, rather than wrecklessly sending them off for rentals. My team still made it to the final four, even with multiple injuries to key contributors. Now, I’m I in a really good situation to improve and add to my team over the summer because I’ve managed my cap well and still have all those picks and prospects.

Man, I should remove myself”

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
princess-bride-get-used-to-it.gif

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Just to play the devil's advocate: Waddell, after missing Meier, obviously made an effort at the deadline to acquire players that made us better on the PP and more difficult to play against.

Well, Pool party was a healthy scratch more than he was in the lineup, and Ghost (while serviceable) didn't affect the PP in any meaningful way.

Whether those faults lie on the players, the coach, the system, etc is up for debate, but it could definitely be argued that Waddell's deadline was a push, at best.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Just curious what massive deadline moves did Florida, Vegas, and Dallas make? Cause by my count all the teams that "won" the TDL went out before the conference finals
I liked the Barbashev and Domi trades for Vegas and Dallas. I think it's clear the Waddell and Dundon prefer to make impact deals during the offseason. I anticipate a big deal will happen this summer. Feels like, based on recent playoff performance, it has to. every team needs grinders but need more than complimentary scorers to get to SCF IMO.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I liked the Barbashev and Domi trades for Vegas and Dallas. I think it's clear the Waddell and Dundon prefer to make impact deals during the offseason. I anticipate a big deal will happen this summer. Feels like, based on recent playoff performance, it has to. every team needs grinders but need more than complimentary scorers to get to SCF IMO.
True, I didnt say they didn't make moves but those were small moves, nothing major. In fact a lot of people roasted the FO for bringing in Domi last year.

Point being the team's that won the TDL went home a lot earlier than the Canes did

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
The guy that beat us was the guy we almost signed in the off season.

This team doesn't do deadline day deals. They do off season deals, and this past off season they were all in on the best guy in this year's playoffs.

You can argue that maybe they should have given up more to get Tkachuk, sure. I'm guessing they're arguing that amongst themselves now. But you can't say they're not trying to make the right moves.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Just for posterity’s sake I'll state again:

Meier scored 1 more point than gostisbehere did through 2 playoff rounds. Is the difference in what they paid for ghost vs what they were dangling for Meier worth ONE playoff point? I would say no
Lets see how FA plays out before we start singing our victory dance here. If Meier signs an 8 year contract extension with NJ and becomes a major pain in our ass for years to come, it was absolutely worth what they gave up to bring him in.

As for Horvat, its way too early to claim victory there, especially with him extending 8 years immediately after the trade.

Reactions: zman77

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
TD talking in the O&G podcast about trading for big time scorers said to the effect that CM would be worth ~5 extra points over our 112. Not worth it for Canes but if you are close to a bubble team, yes.
I believe he said Conor McDavid would be worth it, but a more traditional rental wouldn't change outcomes that much the rest of the season (vs a bubble team where a rental can mean making the playoffs.)

When you reach the postseason and you end up with 4 games that the advanced stats say you win 70-80% of the time and you lose all 4 to a hot goalie and a team that makes the last good play, he didn't think there's a lot an additional player would do there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad