Confirmed with Link: Vrana traded to STL

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
To think that what happened with Vrana in [the] Detroit [Red Wings organization] is a bad look for [the] Detroit [Red Wings organization] requires assumptions and conjecture. It's a conclusion based on fantasy.

Now, optics are a real thing. So while believing it's a bad look for [the] Detroit [Red Wings organization] isn't exactly the same as it actually being a bad look for [the] Detroit [Red Wings organization], there's a Venn diagram there, and people who believe it's a bad look for [the] Detroit [Red Wings organization] are manifesting a circle out of that diagram as this belief propagates.

Why? Why so determined to make [the] Detroit [Red Wings organization] the bad guy?

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
To think that what happened with Vrana in Detroit is a bad look for Detroit requires assumptions and conjecture. It's a conclusion based on fantasy.

Now, optics are a real thing. So while believing it's a bad look for Detroit isn't exactly the same as it actually being a bad look for Detroit, there's a Venn diagram there, and people who believe it's a bad look for Detroit are manifesting a circle out of that diagram as this belief propagates.

Why? Why so determined to make Detroit the bad guy?
Since when is a coaching staff Detroit?

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
I have zero insight into the locker room, so will focus on his play.

The guy can score. He is now doing that in St. Louis. This team is going nowhere and has zero need to clear out cap space for next season. Why not leave the guy in GR all this season, bring him up next season, showcase him and trade him off for something of VALUE. They ate half his contract for next season and gained last round pick.
As a pure value play, this was a bad move. The dump this guy but continue to carry a clear 1st round pic on the roster in Zadina. < This guy has no skills that are NHL level. That guy would clear waivers all day every day. I really hope the Wings just outright release the guy.

Reactions: TheOtherOne

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
As for the second Blues game Thursday night....

my god that was a terrible example of hockey... and I watched the whole thing for some reason

also, it seemed that Vrana wasn't exactly missed by the team considering some of the after-whistle stuff that went on.

And @Hen Kolland....
Has anyone noticed anything between Vrana and the Wings players between whistles? I’m just curious if there’s anything there. I know he was chatting with Walman at the end of the first but couldn’t glean if it was friendly or not

I missed the game live, but watched the recording last night. I keyed in on Vrana, and yeah, seemed clear at least some Wings players do not miss him. Larkin literally went after him twice with cross checks; once when Mickey pointed it out and said they were also chirping each other on the way to the bench, and once later on after Vrana tripped Copp and Larkin caught up to him right as a whistle went, kinda lunging at him with another cross check. He and Walman also had words after a whistle that appeared none too friendly. Perron went out of his way to give him some stick work at one point (to be fair, Perron does this to most players, but this felt like it was part of the theme).

Anyway, speculation alert, but this all fits with my suspicion that the problem with Vrana was not just with Lalonde, or just with Yzerman, but with his teammates as well. I suspect he did something, or some things, that really betrayed their trust, pissed them off even. They were done with him, and that was the main reason he was not dressed for those games at the end. I think he probably had the whole team against him, had crossed the event horizon, and there was no return.

That's only my suspicion though. I see nothing that rules that scenario out, but I do still default to "I don't know what happened and therefor I have no ill will towards anyone. At least, until I know more, if that day ever comes."

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

And @Hen Kolland....

I missed the game live, but watched the recording last night. I keyed in on Vrana, and yeah, seemed clear at least some Wings players do not miss him. Larkin literally went after him twice with cross checks; once when Mickey pointed it out and said they were also chirping each other on the way to the bench, and once later on after Vrana tripped Copp and Larkin caught up to him right as a whistle went, kinda lunging at him with another cross check. He and Walman also had words after a whistle that appeared none too friendly. Perron went out of his way to give him some stick work at one point (to be fair, Perron does this to most players, but this felt like it was part of the theme).

Anyway, speculation alert, but this all fits with my suspicion that the problem with Vrana was not just with Lalonde, or just with Yzerman, but with his teammates as well. I suspect he did something, or some things, that really betrayed their trust, pissed them off even. They were done with him, and that was the main reason he was not dressed for those games at the end. I think he probably had the whole team against him, had crossed the event horizon, and there was no return.

That's only my suspicion though. I see nothing that rules that scenario out, but I do still default to "I don't know what happened and therefor I have no ill will towards anyone. At least, until I know more, if that day ever comes."

The brief interaction with Walman is what I saw, and it seemed like a long winded conversation for it to have been between buddies. To the point where the linesman and official skated up to the two of them.

This was the first game against Vrana since his interview was released where he was very open about his “confusion” as to why he didn’t get a chance. All of the response from the Wings very well could have been a form of protest like “you know damn well why you weren’t given a chance here”.

But again, all conjecture. Just best if people tried to not assume the Wings management and coaching staff were engaging in intentional malpractice.

Hopefully both sides learned how to better handle themselves in situations and are better because of it. Regardless of what that situation was.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
The brief interaction with Walman is what I saw, and it seemed like a long winded conversation for it to have been between buddies. To the point where the linesman and official skated up to the two of them.

This was the first game against Vrana since his interview was released where he was very open about his “confusion” as to why he didn’t get a chance. All of the response from the Wings very well could have been a form of protest like “you know damn well why you weren’t given a chance here”.

But again, all conjecture. Just best if people tried to not assume the Wings management and coaching staff were engaging in intentional malpractice.

Hopefully both sides learned how to better handle themselves in situations and are better because of it. Regardless of what that situation was.
Yeah. I especially agree with the bold. I think whatever shit went down, there was kind of an agreement between the Wings and Vrana afterward that they wouldn’t make any of it public. Which would be pretty standard for these kind of things involving off-ice issues. And I suspect that that public quote by Vrana about the second chance thing was considered a breach of that agreement, at least by some of the players.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

And @Hen Kolland....

Total conjecture; Maybe he Lindros’d a teammate’s wife or girlfriend?

Is anyone a good lip reader here?

Reactions: jaster

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don't understand how a single Wings fan on this forum can actually think the trade had anything to do with Vrana's hockey skills. Teams don't get rid of talent for nothing just cause it seems like a fun idea. Doesn't matter if he scores 82 goals next season, THIS TRADE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH ON ICE SKILLS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad