VOTE: Trade James Neal (UFA next spring) or Re-sign James Neal (long term, NMC)?

Should Vegas trade Neal before the deadline or re-sign him long term?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Look, the franchise ain't stupid enough to ride him all season long and let him go elsewhere for nothing.

EITHER he is traded before the trade deadline this season OR he is re-signed to a new deal, which at age 30 and his early production level this season will mean a raise on his $5 million per, and an almost assured no-trade clause (unless obscene money is on the table).

So, let's not ignore the elephant in the room and either FOLD or DOUBLE DOWN on Neal!

Which should we do in the next few months?!

The clock is ticking,...

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Why not both? Trade him and try to re-sign him July 1st
So, trade him is what you think.

Still too early to have this conversation IMO.
The poll is open until the trading deadline, which is in February, just four months away. Feel free to wait to vote if you think a couple of months will make the difference in your opinion.

If the team should look to trade him, waiting until the last minute may not be the way to go.

I've been on HfBoards for a long time and it's normal to speculate and discuss UFAs entering their last year of a contract. In fact, I'm surprised at the relative lack of discussion of Neal (relative, say, to Tavares who has had a few headline stories in recent months over speculation over his future, he too becoming a UFA at the end of this season.)

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Note: The poll lets voters change their vote, if they'd like. So it's organic in the sense that developments in the few months there are between now and February could sway your opinion and you could simply change your vote.

But the conversation topic is VALID. It's frustrating to think someone is trying to shut it down. Ignore it if you have no thoughts on the matter at the moment.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
If he wants to be here I'd say re-sign him, maybe for one or two years and not five though. I think he'll stick around for a little while.
If you don't think a 30-year-old UFA who is still shooting the lights out is looking for a 5 year or more contract you're deluding yourself!

Neal will sign a contract in clearly less than a year for $40+ million.
Bank on it. I put the roots in the ground of this prediction right here, right now.

And my prediction is pretty "Duh."

If that prediction makes you uneasy, then consider voting to trade him away. Because it's foolhardy to think he'd sign for anything less!

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
He's said he wants to stick around, I don't think he's too old for us to have him stick around. I wouldn't go anything over 5 years though.

However, GMGM has said a million times that winning doesn't change the business plan and I fully expect him to get dealt.

Reactions: Puckrobber

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I voted with my heart, I know it's not coming true though.

I wish we were ready for players we could attach ourselves to long term.

Reactions: StrayShark

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I keep seeing people on the main boards saying we shouldn't trade James Neal because he's the "face of our franchise", and I shake my head. It's been 10 days. No matter how many goals he scores in a Knights uniform, the "face of our franchise" is as follows:

1. Bill Foley
2. Marc-Andre Fleury
3. The guys picked in the 1st round of the 2017 and 2018 drafts

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
... the "face of our franchise" is as follows:

... The guys picked in the 1st round of the 2017 draft...
WHO THE HELL IS THIS?

691288860.1497140840.jpg

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
You're both right.

There isn't really a face of the franchise outside of Fleury right now, and that's okay. Neal is growing in popularity, but he's also likely the second most famous hockey player we've got. It's going to take some time to get real investment in players from the public, and the team knows that. Even the marketing materials the team puts out are almost always highlighting the logo versus the players. The fact that the most popular player here is a goalie always wearing a mask in marketing materials helps that too.

I don't think they're going to market any individuals for a while, and they probably shouldn't. A lot/most of these guys aren't going to be here long term.

SP1966

Feb 11, 2013
Las Vegas
For as much fun as this team has been through 5 games their future doesn't begin for at least three years. Trade UFAs and stockpile as much young talent and draft picks as possible for now. My Wild were competitive their first few years and it completely stunted any chance at contending for a decade plus.

Living in Vegas now I'd love to see them build for contention rather than temporary success!

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Star players are hard to find, especially two-way guys who do the tough things a lot of stars won't do like when Neal obliterated Seguin out of the crease in game one. I agree most of the UFAs and veterans have to go, but I'd argue this is one you keep. Players of this caliber don't come in free agency very often. The team will be well under the cap soon enough as the vets are cleared out and spots given to rookies so as long as Neal is on board with that plan and wants to stay I say he's worth a heck of a lot more to the franchise than the maybe 2nd or 3rd round pick he could yield at the deadline. The only way a trade should be considered is if they get a true prospect with at least a year of professional experience, if not someone who has already gotten a cup of coffee in the NHL. Few teams are going to give that up at the deadline for an expiring so I presume its not happening. Besides if people in the building are taking the playoffs in 3 years theme seriously you can't do it with drafted players, Vadim, a couple of holdovers from the expansion draft and filler. They are going to have to sign a few free agents, why not a guy already in the building?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Personally, I'd move him and parlay the nice return into more building blocks for the future.

If he were 25 or 26, I'd say keep him.

Gerin

Aug 15, 2010
British Columbia
Trade him. Vegas won't be a cup contender till what, 5 years earliest? Neal will be 35 than no need to keep him. If Methot got 2nd & 3rd pick in late off season, than at the deadline where teams tend to overpay to prepare for playoffs, Neal can bring in a lot. Outside of Neal they don't have to many assets to trade for anything of much value

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
No doubt that Neal is a talented player, and one who is locked in right now, but he's also 30 years old in a sport that is getting younger and faster by the year. Additionally, he's played more than 70 games just once since 2012 - which is one of the reasons the Knights were able to pick him up.

You sell high and see if you can re-sign him in the offseason.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
The more I think about it the more I like the idea of having Neal come back and play on Cody Glass's wing. I wouldn't keep him for five years, but I think that could be a very successful combo, and when the deadline comes he would still be worth a good haul.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
His shooting percentage is currently 33.3% This question should be asked when his shooting % drops back down to 11-12%

Reactions: Gerin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad