Player Discussion Vladislav Namestnikov LW/RW

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Breaking Down Vladislav Namestnikov Trade For the Ottawa Senators

Last season, he had 31 points in 78 games with the Rangers. His career-high came in 2017-18 when he had 48 points between New York and the Tampa Bay Lightning. Namestnikov came over to the Rangers in the Ryan McDonagh trade. However, of the 48 points, only four of them were with the Rangers in 19 games. Namestnikov has never appeared to be a massive scorer and part of the Tampa boost was playing with skilled players like Steven Stamkos and crew.
What Namestnikov does bring though, is a solid defensive game. From HockeyViz, we can see his isolated defensive impact.

The best part of this deal for Ottawa is simply the term. With Namestnikov in his last season, the Sens have the option to simply let him go if things don’t work out. However, if things do work the Sens have even more options.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Breaking Down Vladislav Namestnikov Trade For the Ottawa Senators

Last season, he had 31 points in 78 games with the Rangers. His career-high came in 2017-18 when he had 48 points between New York and the Tampa Bay Lightning. Namestnikov came over to the Rangers in the Ryan McDonagh trade. However, of the 48 points, only four of them were with the Rangers in 19 games. Namestnikov has never appeared to be a massive scorer and part of the Tampa boost was playing with skilled players like Steven Stamkos and crew.
What Namestnikov does bring though, is a solid defensive game. From HockeyViz, we can see his isolated defensive impact.

The best part of this deal for Ottawa is simply the term. With Namestnikov in his last season, the Sens have the option to simply let him go if things don’t work out. However, if things do work the Sens have even more options.

It seems to me that Namestnikov has the options as he will be a UFA. The Senators can sign him, trade him, or let him go to UFA.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
So Namestnikov is already our top scorer. It goes without saying that I believe he's the best player to ever wear a sens jersey.

Reactions: Beville

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
2 games in, leads the team in scoring. I think Pager was better with Nasti and Browntml than Arty

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Definitely think he can stick with our core. Good young fast skilled player entering his prime.

Reactions: DrEasy

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
He's probably the most dynamic forward on the team right now. That's kind of sad, given he's a "reject" who we got for a 4th, but credit to this guy who'se come in and played his butt off. He's gonna be in line for another payday if he keeps this up.

He should start OT every single time, as well. No one (save for Chabot) was better with all that open ice.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Dorion is really going for these reclamation projects. We got guys like Nilsson, Duclair and now Namestnikov for peanuts. Could even throw Zaitsev and C. Brown into that category.

I hope we can keep him. He's still only 26, and he's quite talented.

Reactions: NB613

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Namestnikov must be loving this trade. He's getting a good opportunity in a year where he will need a new contract. Good for him for making the most of his opportunity so far. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He's probably the most dynamic forward on the team right now. That's kind of sad, given he's a "reject" who we got for a 4th, but credit to this guy who'se come in and played his butt off. He's gonna be in line for another payday if he keeps this up.

He should start OT every single time, as well. No one (save for Chabot) was better with all that open ice.

Lol, our two most dynamic forwards are Namesntikov a cast off we landed for a 4th, and Duclaire, a throw in that Clb probably wasn't going to be extending a QO to...

Ah well. Credit where it's due, the pro scouts identified two pretty good reclamation projects there.

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
Dorion is really going for these reclamation projects. We got guys like Nilsson, Duclair and now Namestnikov for peanuts. Could even throw Zaitsev and C. Brown into that category.

I hope we can keep him. He's still only 26, and he's quite talented.

It's funny how he's done really well with the low-risk trades. However the high risk trades have completely backfired. (Zibanejad and Duchene)

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
It's funny how he's done really well with the low-risk trades. However the high risk trades have completely backfired. (Zibanejad and Duchene)

I mean, strictly speaking from a hockey perspective, the trade was a huge win. Duchene was miles better than Turris. Duchene improved, while Turris floundered and became a healthy scratch. What made the trade look really bad was the fact that our 1st rounder became good, and Duchene wasn't going to re-sign, both of which I would argue are more Melnyk's fault than Dorion's.

edit: Also, don't forget, a big sticking point in the Turris contract negotiations was the fact that Turris wanted 7 years whereas the Sens were only ready to give him 5 years. Thank the f***ing lord Dorion didn't give him 7 years. He knew Turris would regress. That 6 year deal with Nashville looks atrocious right now.

Last edited:

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
I mean, strictly speaking from a hockey perspective, the trade was a huge win. Duchene was miles better than Turris. Duchene improved, while Turris floundered and became a healthy scratch. What made the trade look really bad was the fact that our 1st rounder became good, and Duchene wasn't going to re-sign, both of which I would argue are more Melnyk's fault than Dorion's.

That's true Turris looks like a shell of himself. But I along with many others knew they were not as good as they thought. The trade should have never happened.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That's true Turris looks like a shell of himself. But I along with many others knew they were not as good as they thought. The trade should have never happened.

I haven't caught any Nashville games this year, but he's putting up some points from the bottom 6. Maybe it's a bounce back year for him...

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Good news...

Winger Vladislav Namestnikov, who suffered a tailbone injury in the club’s victory in Montreal, was back on the ice at the Sensplex. Smith will provide injury updates after the club’s skate Sunday morning, but Namestnikov was moving OK during the skills sessions. Naturally, he’s got to get medical clearance before returning to the lineup.

SNAPSHOTS: D.J. Smith has a tough decision on who start to in Columbus

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Good news...

Winger Vladislav Namestnikov, who suffered a tailbone injury in the club’s victory in Montreal, was back on the ice at the Sensplex. Smith will provide injury updates after the club’s skate Sunday morning, but Namestnikov was moving OK during the skills sessions. Naturally, he’s got to get medical clearance before returning to the lineup.

SNAPSHOTS: D.J. Smith has a tough decision on who start to in Columbus
Glad to hear he's recovered. A tailbone injury is literally a pain in the ass.

Reactions: Variable26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad