Traded Vladimir Tarasenko (1 year, 5 million)

SensCup2028

Mar 6, 2024
This is how their forwards rank in ice-time at 5v5:

Verhaeghe: 14:46
Tkachuk: 14:28
Reinhart: 14:28
Bennett: 14:19
Barkov: 14:10
Rodrigues: 13:36
Lundell: 13:01
Luostarinen: 12:41
Cousins: 12:24

In Ottawa, he was getting 13:45 a game at 5v5 (but we're terrible). Last year with the Rangers, he got 12:46 in the playoffs.

That's probably around what he'll get in FLA. So he'll be their 8-10th forward at ES and have a spot on the 2nd PP.

That's what teams call a depth piece.
Yup, classic Hale the villain making up stuff. Tarasenko is a marginal asset. He was a good signing for the sens, cost them nothing but money and we got free picks out of it. But he doesn’t do much for a contender

Reactions: lancepitlick

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If this is true. It certainly handcuffed the Sens I still don't like the return considering the retention. Its only my perspective. I am just disappointed in only being able to get basically a 4th .. when you consider the retention isn't free. I can cry in my soup but its not going to change anything. Sens land is froth with disappointment. Sure feels like the Cats were playing with loaded dice here.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I understand why people are upset.

For the value Tarasenko provides, a 3rd and a 4th are a deep underpayment. Unfortunately there are other circumstances which forced the situation.

Ultimately, it's best to keep in mind that he was a UFA pickup. We burned no assets to get Tarasenko in the first place (let alone 7th overall+). It's not a "win" sort of trade, but we acquired some picks for an expiring asset, and that's a small step in the right direction.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Defending the indefensible: the crappy picks Sens got back will never play for Baby Sens, let alone for the Senators. If we kept Tank for the rest of the season, fans would have seen him play for the remaining 20 games at a cost of $2.5mill. IMO keeping him is better than retaining $2.5mil for nothing. IMO Staois/Poulin got fleeced. Amateurs
I believe the cost to the team is actually only like 550K.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
And apparently he only wanted to go to NY last year?

What's different this year?
Well, Zito isn’t a moron, they don’t have a first, or second.

I’m not stoked, but hey, maybe we get Tank back in the off season with a couple bonus picks and some more playoff experience.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
One question is, if family resides in Florida, why didn’t vladdy go there originally, Florida had cap room.
Now he did go through a couple of agents in less than a year.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Friedman confirmed that Tarasenko would only waive for 1 team, Florida.
Blatantly obvious that's why the return was horrid. These long winded posts about Tarasenko being no good are embarrassing. Have you guys not been watching the team all year? He also has pedigree and a history of playoff performance.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The thing I can't seem to wrap my head around was what the retention got us in this trade.

Was it the condition on the 4th? The 4th itself? Would we have gotten 2 4ths with no condition without it?

Any thoughts on the value of the retention we provided?
Pretty obviously retention got us the only trade Tank wanted. Teams up against the cap need retention and we weren’t exactly in the driver seat when it came to what teams he was willing to be traded to, who could fit him in.

Strange that people weren't as sympathetic when DeBrincat did the same thing with Detroit. We still got a 1st round pick out of that one.
DBC didn’t have a NMC. He was able to choose who he would extend with, that not who he went to. There is a difference nestled in there.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
One question is, if family resides in Florida, why didn’t vladdy go there originally, Florida had cap room.
Now he did go through a couple of agents in less than a year.
They probably weren't offering nearly as much money/this might have been the plan all along haha.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
This nonsense that Wennberg is better than Tarasenko is absurd.

The return is because that's the only team Tarasenko would go to.
I didn't say he was, but I think its a better deadline play this year for NYR. They've been down the road with Senko and Kane already, so I like more of a role search this time for them.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I get a poor return, but why bother retaining any money? Florida got a great deal, it should've been up to them to find the cap room.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I didn't say he was, but I think its a better deadline play this year for NYR. They've been down the road with Senko and Kane already, so I like more of a role search this time for them.
He's a way worse player. Tarasenko had 3 goals and 4 points in one series last year. To suggest Wennberg is a better add in any scenario is not accurate.

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
My honest take - poor return but not a big deal.

Tarasenko was a free asset from before; SS was stuck with where Tarasenko wanted to go; we still got assets in picks; retention is whatever for this year; our GM gets some experience with a not so valuable asset; and SS also gets some goodwill as a "players GM".

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
If this is true. It certainly handcuffed the Sens I still don't like the return considering the retention. Its only my perspective. I am just disappointed in only being able to get basically a 4th .. when you consider the retention isn't free. I can cry in my soup but its not going to change anything. Sens land is froth with disappointment. Sure feels like the Cats were playing with loaded dice here.

In theory, Florida shouldn't have this information and Staois should have been negotiating from the position of "Tarasenko could waive to go elsewhere". Florida shouldn't know they're the only option. I guess, this being the NHL, they knew?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
In theory, Florida shouldn't have this information and Staois should have been negotiating from the position of "Tarasenko could waive to go elsewhere". Florida shouldn't know they're the only option. I guess, this being the NHL, they knew?
It's not hard for this to get out considering Tarasenko isn't a mute.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Pretty obviously retention got us the only trade Tank wanted. Teams up against the cap need retention and we weren’t exactly in the driver seat when it came to what teams he was willing to be traded to, who could fit him in.

DBC didn’t have a NMC. He was able to choose who he would extend with, that not who he went to. There is a difference nestled in there.

If not for bad cap management DBC should've been dealt at the deadline....

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022

Not a fan of the this deal at all. Probably could have held out till Friday and perhaps not accepted retention, or less of it. The returns are effectively useless unless the team gets extremely draft lucky!

The only positive I take from this is that perhaps Staios, having endured frustration and aggravation around the bullshit NMC will have learned that he should avoid the damn things like the plague they are. Best to avoid painting oneself into a corner. Perhaps he is really smart and creative, only offers LTCs (limited) contracts such as restricted list of 5 or 10 teams, or whatever. No matter what, I am of the opinion that if a full NMC is demanded, just walk-away.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I think its pretty likely that Zito presented two options: a 3rd/4th for Tarasenko with no retention or a 3rd + 4th for Tarasenko at 50% retention. It's possible that Florida would have had to pay more if they shopped the 50% retention role out to some other team, but that does us no good.

I guess we could have shopped our retention slot and received more in the end but not sure that extra drop juice is worth the squeeze

Reactions: Ralph Malfredsson

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Didn't it leak that he turned down an offer with Carolina to sign with us?
From what I've read, it was reported that Carolina had made an offer, but shortly after Tank fired his agent so any possible offers were no longer valid. By that time, Carolina only had $3.2 million in cap space and was also in the hunt for EK. Tank didn't like the Canes offer (too low) and signed with Ottawa for more money, less term. Will be interesting to see what happens with him this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad