Vladar and Wolf... Calgary Flames new goaltending tandem.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Or at least I assume that's the plan. Markstrom is out week to week but I have to think that will be 6 weeks or longer? Goalies are a breed unto themselves. The littlest thing can throw them off their game. Not being able to grip the stick like they normally do may be one of those things... or maybe not? I don't know... I've never played goal.

First lets talk about Vladar.... yes he was great in his last game but that is the exception not the rule with Vladar. I have very little confidence in his ability. I have to assume he will play half the games while Markstrom is out?

Now Wolf. Having to throw him into the deep end with the Flames usual miniscule run support worries me. I envisioned Wolf's introduction to the NHL being in a backup capacity to Markstrom where he plays 15-20 games and the Flames playoff hopes weren't riding on his performance.

Am I the only one that's worried? I'm worried about too much pressure being placed on Wolf too soon in his career.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Dansk should ask for a trade. Fricking insulting at this point to a proud pro athlete.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Or at least I assume that's the plan. Markstrom is out week to week but I have to think that will be 6 weeks or longer? Goalies are a breed unto themselves. The littlest thing can throw them off their game. Not being able to grip the stick like they normally do may be one of those things... or maybe not? I don't know... I've never played goal.

First lets talk about Vladar.... yes he was great in his last game but that is the exception not the rule with Vladar. I have very little confidence in his ability. I have to assume he will play half the games while Markstrom is out?

Now Wolf. Having to throw him into the deep end with the Flames usual miniscule run support worries me. I envisioned Wolf's introduction to the NHL being in a backup capacity to Markstrom where he plays 15-20 games and the Flames playoff hopes weren't riding on his performance.

Am I the only one that's worried? I'm worried about too much pressure being placed on Wolf too soon in his career.
Pressure isn’t a bad thing, a professional goalie should be able to handle pressure. That being said, if Wolf struggles for 3-4 games straight, send him down, call up Dansk, then ride Vladar until Markstrom’s back. If they both do OK, great. Adversity is great for a roster especially this early in the season.

Also Calgary has had a top 10 offense for the last month or so. How many goals do we have to score before people stop complaining about it?

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Really excited but it's bittersweet because Marky has been really good. He's been a massive improvement over last years version of himself. No real issues with him, so it's hard to see him possibly losing some momentum.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Also Calgary has had a top 10 offense for the last month or so. How many goals do we have to score before people stop complaining about it?

Probably at least until our leading goal scorer hits double digits. It was Blake Coleman with 6G until the 3rd period Saturday. The Flames don't even have a guy in the top 100 NHL scorers right now.

Reactions: Tofveve

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Probably at least until our leading goal scorer hits double digits. It was Blake Coleman with 6G until the 3rd period Saturday. The Flames don't even have a guy in the top 100 NHL scorers right now.
Then complain about that, not the 8th ranked offense since our team figured out our system. Our 3.47 goals per game since that losing skid would be 5th across the NHL over the whole season. Our “non-existent offense” has turned into such a boogeyman. We have been treated to watching our team light the lamp at the same rate as elite teams for over a month now and people still just want to whine about it.

Last edited:

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Then complain about that, not the 8th ranked offense since our team figured out our system. Our 3.47 goals per game since that losing skid would be 5th across the NHL over the whole season. Our “non-existent offense” has turned into such a boogeyman. We have been treated to watching our team light the lamp at the same rate as elite teams for over a month now and people still just want to whine about it.
This team scored 260 goals last year.

Seriously, I wanted Sutter gone more than anyone but people were partially blinded. One player underperformed their career averages. Then again, I don't think you would agree with me that goaltending has played a pretty large role in Calgary's struggles the last 2 seasons either.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Who is going to get the majority of the workload down the road and become #2 behind Markstrom?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Who is going to get the majority of the workload down the road and become #2 behind Markstrom?
The smart thing would be to play Wolf. Mgmt already knows what they have in Vladar. Time to find out if Wolf has the right stuff at the NHL level. But then that would mean carrying 3 goalies until Vladar is traded. The Flames won't do that and they won't waive Vladar to the minors. Wolf ends up getting the short end of the stick and returns to the AHL.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Lots of posters here will disagree with this but Calgary believes in meritocracy to a fault. Whoever plays better will play, Calgary has a back to back our next set of games so each will play once. Whoever outplays the other will probably get the majority of the starts from that point forward and it’ll be their net to lose. Once Markstrom comes back, whoever won between the two stays. A tie or a close race will go to Vladar though when Markstrom comes back, so they don’t have to trade him for nothing or chance him on waivers.

Another example of this is a hot streak probably cost Pospisil a lot of playing time this season. Calgary called him up and he was producing way too much to be sent down before he was waiver eligible. He then came back down to Earth, and now Calgary has Coronato who was playing too good for the AHL, and Pelletier eventually coming back from injury and not enough lineup spots to go around. Calgary basically threw his plan out the window due to his play, and it’s probably going to cost Pospisil not playing much in what was his best season of his career or Calgary risking him on waivers.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3