Player Discussion: Vlad Namestnikov (the unsug hero(?) at 2C)

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Didn't see a discussion thread on Names

Beginning of the year I, and I beleive many of us viewed 2C as a potential upgrade and maybe viewed Names as a short term placeholder. Probably not had Namesnikov being the 2C for the majority of the season, I know I didn't. He hasn't really been used as a top 6 C consistently aside from the one year in TBL alongside Kucherov.

However.....

It's hard to argue with his play this year and Bowness evidently trusts him alot in the top 6. He's rating as one of the top play makers in the league, rates real strong defensively from the looks of it. The finishing is below average but other than that, he's been pretty solid every where else.

I think once KC comes back he could replace Iafallo and you have a makings of a great line. KCs finishing, coupled with Names' playmaking and defensive ability you may have a great pairing there. Idk I don't think the Jets really should spend big on a top 6 C at the TDL If he continue playing the way he has been.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Trade for Lindholm and make another line with Ehlers and Names.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Namestnikov has been a beauty but he is not the long term answer at 2C. He's a 3C on a deep team. Ideally Perfetti eventually becomes our 2C but he's not there yet. Lindholm would be a dream pickup for 2C, but not sure if we have/want to give up the assets to get him.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Names is definitely one of the most pleasant surprises IMO. Agree with the OP's notion that I think it lessens the need to go out and spend big assets on a 2C at the TD. I would like to know a little more about that "Role Difficulty" metric though. Has he really been that sheltered? I guess with Scheifele and Lowry taking harder minutes that's to be expected, but you can't always line match on the road as well.

Also agree he's not a long term answer at 2C (especially at 31), but maybe in 2025 if Perfetti hasn't transitioned to C, someone like Lambert might be ready.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

Beginning of the year I, and I beleive many of us viewed 2C as a potential upgrade and maybe viewed Names as a short term placeholder. Probably not had Namesnikov being the 2C for the season, I know I didn't. He hhasn't really been used as a top 6 C consistently aside from the one year in TBL alongside Kucherov.

However.....

It's hard to argue with his play this year and Bowness evidently trusts him alot in the top 6. He's rating as one of the top play makers in the league, rates real strong defensively from the looks of it. The finishing is below average but other than that, he's been pretty solid every where else.

I think once KC comes back he could replace Iafallo and you have a makings of a great line. KCs finishing, coupled with Names' playmaking and defensive ability you may have a great pairing there. Idk I don't think the Jets really should spend big on a top 6 C at the TDL If he continue playing the way he has been.

Thoughts?

Couldn't agree more -
He flies under the radar most nights - unless you're paying attention.
Very smart player that can be both creative and safe in how he manages his game.
In open ice, he manages the puck really well - always has a grip on where his linemates are.
He can also beat you one on one when he's in tight spaces. Curls and changes direction on the walls really well.
He also has enough grit to be effective in a cycle or defensively
I really like his defense and playmaking - which is not always a combo that you get with any C.

He is not much of a shooter - but I like his playmaking (and the rest of his game) enough to outweigh that issue.
Lastly, he needs work on the dot - and that should be something he can improve if they push him to spend more time working on that issue.

I also agree that once you get a shooter on that line (like KC), you might have a really solid 2nd line that can take on more minutes and be more productive. Perfetti is the other pce that will see a lift in his game once a shooter is added - between the two of them, KC might be in a better position to rack up point than he would on the first. Not sure what Bones plans to do once KC is back, but I hope they give him a shot with Perfetti / Names.
If I'm right, we now have a second that will make matchups hell for the competition when you consider the tough minutes line 1 and 3 are already taking on. And they'll (hopefully) be able to not only score, but defend - bones will love it.

I've already said my pce on what we should be looking for at the deadline (along with a few others) - in short, it might be defense they will zone in on considering the age of our defenders and the lack of depth with NHL experience - especially PO's.

Good thread topic - looking forward to hearing others chime in.
I don't see them even considering the second line as being an area that needs to be built up - they obviously love Names and his game - and once they get that shooter, this line should be very good.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Names is definitely one of the most pleasant surprises IMO. Agree with the OP's notion that I think it lessens the need to go out and spend big assets on a 2C at the TD. I would like to know a little more about that "Role Difficulty" metric though. Has he really been that sheltered? I guess with Scheifele and Lowry taking harder minutes that's to be expected, but you can't always line match on the road as well.

Also agree he's not a long term answer at 2C (especially at 31), but maybe in 2025 if Perfetti hasn't transitioned to C, someone like Lambert might be ready.
Compared to league-average from hockeyviz: he's usually seeing 2nd or 3rd lines at a higher rate. Not sure about zone starts etc all that you can probably find on other sites.

Reactions: Huffer
Nov 24, 2006
He's a valuable player that every good team should have. Having the ability to play a demanding position (C) from line 1 through line 4 is a commodity that is almost invaluable to a team. He's not going to rock the 1C or 2C position, but if an injury happens, he's a guy you can feel pretty comfortable putting in there.

And he's only $2 million a year which is a fantastic value for what he brings. This is looking like one of Chevy's best moves right now.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Beginning of the year I, and I beleive many of us viewed 2C as a potential upgrade and maybe viewed Names as a short term placeholder. Probably not had Namesnikov being the 2C for the majority of the season, I know I didn't. He hasn't really been used as a top 6 C consistently aside from the one year in TBL alongside Kucherov.

However.....

Thoughts?

He is good defensively but I don't see where you are getting the idea that he is one of the top playmakers in the league. He has 16 assists. Bones trusts him because he is good defensively. You can put him on the ice and he won't hurt you. But his line underperforms offensively, even in somewhat sheltered minutes. I think he is being just what some expected, an adequate placeholder until we can get a real 2C.

I agree that could change when KFC comes back, if no other top 6 F is out. And I agree that it might be wise to wait to see that before trading for a top 6 C.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
He is good defensively but I don't see where you are getting the idea that he is one of the top playmakers in the league. He has 16 assists. Bones trusts him because he is good defensively. You can put him on the ice and he won't hurt you. But his line underperforms offensively, even in somewhat sheltered minutes. I think he is being just what some expected, an adequate placeholder until we can get a real 2C.

I agree that could change when KFC comes back, if no other top 6 F is out. And I agree that it might be wise to wait to see that before trading for a top 6 C.
I think you really need to consider that there is no shooter on the that line right now so trying to measure his playmaking is tough - but I'd argue you certainly can't do it based on the lines production w/o a goal scoring winger.
As for how he ranks as a playmaker in the league, the numbers posted in the Op are what is likely being referenced.
I also think we all realize the minutes are sheltered to an extend - so he might not be one of the best playmakers although in his current role on this line, it looks like he is.

TBH, this guy has played on 7 teams since 2019 and pretty much in a utility role over that time span. So Rick gives him something he can sink his teeth into and he has - maybe he's better than what many of us thought he was and now he has been given a chance to show it. He's not perfect - but he's a lot more than a utility fill in player IMO.
What also lends to his argument is that he appears to be getting better every time I see him - he's settling in nicely with a team that values what this type of player brings - he's a really good 5v5 player.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think you really need to consider that there is no shooter on the that line right now so trying to measure his playmaking is tough - but I'd argue you certainly can't do it based on the lines production w/o a goal scoring winger.
As for how he ranks as a playmaker in the league, the numbers posted in the Op are what is likely being referenced.
I also think we all realize the minutes are sheltered to an extend - so he might not be one of the best playmakers although in his current role on this line, it looks like he is.

TBH, this guy has played on 7 teams since 2019 and pretty much in a utility role over that time span. So Rick gives him something he can sink his teeth into and he has - maybe he's better than what many of us thought he was and now he has been given a chance to show it. He's not perfect - but he's a lot more than a utility fill in player IMO.
What also lends to his argument is that he appears to be getting better every time I see him - he's settling in nicely with a team that values what this type of player brings - he's a really good 5v5 player.
at 5v5 hockey: namestnikov is top-5 in the league in assists/60, & in primary-assists/60. while among fwds on our team he's tied w/ scheifele in primary-assists and 2 behind in total-assists.

def not a perfect player, otherwise he wouldn't have been on like 10 different teams lol. as mentioned his finishing is below-average however he does not really shoot lots. he has 25 on-ice GF on xGF of 18 so seems to me he & his line perform more than fine offensively.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
GF vs xGF? Meaning what? His lines' finishing has been lucky?
according to NST when he's on the ice the Jets have

27GF on 19 xGF for +8
next best is
Ehlers at 30 GF on 25 xGF +5

his line is converting at a high rate on their chances. not sure if you chalk it up to luck, chemistry etc. but we're half-way through the year think they have just been flat out good.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Yup. His offense is improving. He seems to be involved in the O zone quite a bit. I'm interested in seeing how he does with KFC on one wing.

Reactions: hn777 and LowLefty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad