Prospect Info: Vitali Kravtsov: Part IX

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
my favorite part of that article is when it says he would go in the 20's
Well, it was "teens or 20's" and while I think the latter is crazy, the former is pretty likely. He's not jumping over anyone other than potentially Hayton, and there are probably 4-5 guys that go ahead of him now. Of course, that's just based on the current conditions; totally possible he explodes and in another year you'd have him above Zadina, Kotkaniemi, etc. I'm not Kravtov's biggest fan by any means but I do think his stock is undervalued at the moment.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
my favorite part of that article is when it says he would go in the 20's
He likely would go in the teens if the draft was redone. As an example re: Wahlstrom who went 11th. Kratsov originally seemed to be better as Wahlstrom had a disappointing start to his college career but seems to have passed Kratsov a bit. What is it with the need to fall in love with every prospect and take great offense to the national writers who typically have a more measured dispassionate view. Kratsov finally looked good at the end of the season and could really break out - or not. That's how it goes with such prospects. I say enjoy the ride. Pronman probably has a better track record than most Ranger fans, who tend to fall in love with their prospects. Even crappy Lias Andersson had a lot of support here, and he clearly stunk.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Moving Kravtsov for Tarasenko at this point is the absolute batshit bonkers stuff I expect to be reading on here this time of year. Not even in a shortened transition with an expansion draft can keep people sane.
To be fair, it was brought in in the context of a purely speculative article about where Tarasenko might want to be traded, and then what those teams would have to do to acquire him. I don't think very many people here would support trading Kravtsov for Tarasenko.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
To be fair, it was brought in in the context of a purely speculative article about where Tarasenko might want to be traded, and then what those teams would have to do to acquire him. I don't think very many people here would support trading Kravtsov for Tarasenko.
Fair enough I suppose. Still is on par for summer rumblings lol

Reactions: nyr2k2

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
He likely would go in the teens if the draft was redone. As an example re: Wahlstrom who went 11th. Kratsov originally seemed to be better as Wahlstrom had a disappointing start to his college career but seems to have passed Kratsov a bit. What is it with the need to fall in love with every prospect and take great offense to the national writers who typically have a more measured dispassionate view. Kratsov finally looked good at the end of the season and could really break out - or not. That's how it goes with such prospects. I say enjoy the ride. Pronman probably has a better track record than most Ranger fans, who tend to fall in love with their prospects. Even crappy Lias Andersson had a lot of support here, and he clearly stunk.

Honestly it's a tough comparison and I think we're kind of in a weird point in time with prospect analysis...if a guy takes a few years and doesn't light the world on fire right away he's labeled a bust or disappointing very quickly, while in the past most prospects were given more time to develop. I think there has just been much more focus on propssects and their development in recent years and fans and talent evaluators sometimes get impatient.

Wahlstrom has had the benefit of playing in the NHL for a full "season" and working through his growing pains while supported by an extremely discplined team around him. Kravtsov got a handful of games at the end of the season with a coach who didn't really know where to put him (not totally Quinn's fault, he was trying to figure out how to work Kravtsov into the lineup while also putting the best team on the ice to win on most nights)
If Kravtsov isn't traded this summer and is say on a line with Panarin and ?? he could have a huge breakout year. He plays a very complete game and once he gets up to NHL pace and is comfortable he could be producing very well.

If that happens suddenly he goes from "redraft in the teens" to "top 10 pick or higher"

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Honestly it's a tough comparison and I think we're kind of in a weird point in time with prospect analysis...if a guy takes a few years and doesn't light the world on fire right away he's labeled a bust or disappointing very quickly, while in the past most prospects were given more time to develop. I think there has just been much more focus on propssects and their development in recent years and fans and talent evaluators sometimes get impatient.

Wahlstrom has had the benefit of playing in the NHL for a full "season" and working through his growing pains while supported by an extremely discplined team around him. Kravtsov got a handful of games at the end of the season with a coach who didn't really know where to put him (not totally Quinn's fault, he was trying to figure out how to work Kravtsov into the lineup while also putting the best team on the ice to win on most nights)
If Kravtsov isn't traded this summer and is say on a line with Panarin and ?? he could have a huge breakout year. He plays a very complete game and once he gets up to NHL pace and is comfortable he could be producing very well.

If that happens suddenly he goes from "redraft in the teens" to "top 10 pick or higher"
It reminds me of when in the Semifinals, TSN or someone on FB posted something about how 14 teams passed on Cole Caufield, and like this was some enormous mistake. I pointed out in a comment (that received a ton of likes but also some dumbass responses) that, hey, it hasn't even been two full years since the draft, let's not act like the 14 guys chosen ahead of him will be busts. :laugh: In fact the vast majority look on track to become really solid players.

People are way too quick to say so-and-so is a bust, so-and-so is a steal, etc. You really can't say until 4-5 years out IMO (with certain exceptions of course).

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It reminds me of when in the Semifinals, TSN or someone on FB posted something about how 14 teams passed on Cole Caufield, and like this was some enormous mistake. I pointed out in a comment (that received a ton of likes but also some dumbass responses) that, hey, it hasn't even been two full years since the draft, let's not act like the 14 guys chosen ahead of him will be busts. :laugh: In fact the vast majority look on track to become really solid players.

People are way too quick to say so-and-so is a bust, so-and-so is a steal, etc. You really can't say until 4-5 years out IMO (with certain exceptions of course).

Yeah, like sometimes kids of course just adopts seamlessly to the NHL like Barzal or Aho, and its easy to state that they look like better picks than someone struggling mightly being picked ahead of them.

But like look at the 2010 draft. At different times different players have looked like huge steals/winners of that draft. Jeff Skinner opened so strong, but has -- at least IMO -- been pretty worthless for most of his career. Kuznetsov looked like a world beater for a stretch. If someone like John Klingberg keeps playing at a high level for another 5 years, he could basically become one of the better players from that draft. Same for someone like Gallagher.

Reactions: romba and nyr2k2

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY

Exactly. But that is the nature of prospects. Every year of develop is huge. If Kratsov builds on his late season success and breaks out he will be a top ten redraft player for sure. Alternatively if he takes a step back next season and is floundering around for an apparent role he will be a back of the first round type pick at best. From a probability perspective, you need at least two if not three prospects like Kratsov to have one reach his realistic ceiling.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Well, it was "teens or 20's" and while I think the latter is crazy, the former is pretty likely. He's not jumping over anyone other than potentially Hayton, and there are probably 4-5 guys that go ahead of him now. Of course, that's just based on the current conditions; totally possible he explodes and in another year you'd have him above Zadina, Kotkaniemi, etc. I'm not Kravtov's biggest fan by any means but I do think his stock is undervalued at the moment.

my point is that less then a year ago he was considered a top 20 nhl prospect in all the nhl and now hes going in the 20's lol

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Lmao
1) There is absolutely zero reason for the Rangers to pursue Tarasenko
2) Kravtsov is one of the fastest skaters on our team

Can't believe people pay to read what a bunch of bozos write on that site lol

He's merely relaying what scouts are telling him. They could be wrong about a re-draft, but I'll bet Pronman's statement isn't pulled out of thin air.

I think Kravtsov is a good skater but I wouldn't call him one of the fastest Rangers. Good skating is way more important than fast skating.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Pronman was famously very high on Buchnevich.

Pronman might have just worded it poorly but when I see “teens or 20’s” next to each other - it means something like 17-23 range. Kravtsov showed so much brilliance this past season across both KHL and NHL, there’s no good reason for him to be dropped that far in the redraft. On the talent alone (and how quickly he adapted to the NHL) he should stay no worse than where he was drafted.

Regardless, I was talking about the local variety of analysts when I mentioned Buchnevich. Take a look at pretty much any RBT from two years ago (you don’t need to - I’m sure you remember) and you’d find a daily post either shitting on his hockey potential and / or trading him for a bag of chips. Just a little bit less of this nonsense in ‘19-20 season but still plenty.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
KHL played at a lot slower pace than the NHL, I’d wait until he’s played an actual season before jumping to judgement and labeling him someone who plays slow lol
I don’t know how slow he can play though when on most shifts he’s the first forechecker in and the first forward back on the back check, almost always before the center and often before one of the dmen

Yea man i have to agree with you here....... watching him in the KHL screws up the perspective. Bigger ice surface, makes everybody look "slower".

The little bit i saw of him last year, I thought i noticed him more often as the guy who was quick on the puck, quick into the zone and quick on the forecheck quite often. I think the kids is going to be a high quality player given the chance.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yea man i have to agree with you here....... watching him in the KHL screws up the perspective. Bigger ice surface, makes everybody look "slower".

The little bit i saw of him last year, I thought i noticed him more often as the guy who was quick on the puck, quick into the zone and quick on the forecheck quite often. I think the kids is going to be a high quality player given the chance.

Do you know that half the rinks in the KHL are now the same size as NHL rinks?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Kravtsov is a big guy and they tend to look moving slower but he's able to cover a lot of ice if he's not starting from a stand still. That first step still needs more work but now that he stopped growing and started to fillout more - it should help with that.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I kind of feel like it's Kravtsov or Buchnevich but not both...the Rangers want to make some deals, does a team want an established top six winger in Buch who's still young and will be a RFA? Or do they want a skilled but unproven prospect?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad