News Article: Visnovsky wants to stay in the KHL

Kaoz*

Sort of.

The KHL allowed NHL players under contract to play while the lockout was ongoing, because the agreement between the NHL and KHL was that they would not infringe on any players under contract with the other league and they would let them return once it was over. They had to allow them to play because of the agreement with the NHL.

How is this any different:

"We asked 'Koko' to return to Windsor because we were concerned about his ice time and development," Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli to espn.com

Wasn't Koko under contract in the KHL?

Before anyone makes the argument that Koko is different because he's not coming to the NHL the key word is "infringe".

Chiarelli in fact did infringe (according to espn) on Koko's contract with the KHL

Did Koko have an NHL out clause in his contract though Dom?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Did Koko have an NHL out clause in his contract though Dom?

Not sure, but he doesn't have an NHL contract so probably not.

But that's not my point Kaoz. My point is: Is Chiarelli "asking him to return" infringing on his contract with the KHL? I tend to believe it is whether I want Koko here or not.

And if you (anyone) believes it is, then how can they be upset with KHL doing the same thing?

Kaoz*

Not sure, but he doesn't have an NHL contract so probably not.

But that's not my point Kaoz. My point is: Is Chiarelli "asking him to return" infringing on his contract with the KHL? I tend to believe it is whether I want Koko here or not.

And if you (anyone) believes it is, then how can they be upset with KHL doing the same thing?

It's a very good point, and I'd have to say it is infringement honestly.

Reality of it is were less attuned to the NHL stealing KHL players because we're NHL fans for the most part. No doubt if we spent some more time over on the Russia board we'd see more then a few fan grievances with the NHL that would no doubt make us think a bit harder.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
He signed an ELC on June 29th isn't that technically a NHL contract?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
He signed an ELC on June 29th isn't that technically a NHL contract?

Ahh you are correct.

Still think my points stands though. They allowed him to go over, have no plans of using him in the NHL this season, signed a valid one year contract in Russia, and asked him to go back to Windsor. I guess we'll have to find out whether he had an out clause for the OHL not the NHL.

Still an infringement in my opinion.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I'm sure he'd be happy to play with Chara. Let's trade Thomas's cap hit for him. ;)

Isles cap is slightly above $50m.
Even without Vis $5.6m cap hit , the isles are slightly above the cap floor.

Offer up something Snow would actually want or need;)

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
He kicked and screamed pretty hard to get the trade to them voided. Don't blame him for doing this.

I think he was in line to make a lot on the Island.

And I'd have been open to getting Streit in since they'd have 2 PMDs if he went.

Isles plan wasn't to bring in Vis, then move Streit.

They need both to have bounce back seasons and provide blueline scoring, especially on the pp.

Streit-MacDonald
Vis-Hamonic
Carkner-rookie Donovan
Radek Martinek or Wishart in the #7 role

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Ahh you are correct.

Still think my points stands though. They allowed him to go over, have no plans of using him in the NHL this season, signed a valid one year contract in Russia, and asked him to go back to Windsor. I guess we'll have to find out whether he had an out clause for the OHL not the NHL.

Still an infringement in my opinion.

There's a difference between a request and a directive, though, isn't there? Could Koko just have said no? And/or his team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad