OT: Visiting Toronto

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
I'll be coming up to the Toronto area, specifically Midland, Ontario in late August for a week. Was wondering what there is to do there around that time of year. I know Midland is a couple hours away, but we don't mind the drive into Toronto to do some things. What do you guys recommend? Also, I'm an avid fisherman so I'm wondering if anybody would know how the fishing is that time of year? What do you usually catch, and any charters whether they're on Lake Ontario, Lake Huron, or Lake Erie?

Also, sorry if there is already a thread like this. Looked through the last couple pages and didn't see anything unless I missed it.

chatty4756

Apr 6, 2016
Are you bringing kids with you? Go to centre island, its amazing. Boat tours, bike rentals, the beach, amusement park rides. You can charter a free boat to and from the island. Just go to the harbour front for it.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Just our of curiosity, what's a guy from long Island doing in Midland Ontario?

As for what to do, Toronto is so diverse to the point where you can Google "insert topic of interest here Toronto" and generally get a few hits.

Since this is a hockey forum the HHOF is a must. If your with kids then either center island, Ripleys aquarium or stop just north of the city in Vaughan and check out Wonderland (Canadas biggest amusement park).

As for the fishing, not an avid fisher but those who are generally head north.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
Are you bringing kids with you? Go to centre island, its amazing. Boat tours, bike rentals, the beach, amusement park rides. You can charter a free boat to and from the island. Just go to the harbour front for it.

Yes. Entire family of 5. Will check out Centre Island

Just our of curiosity, what's a guy from long Island doing in Midland Ontario?

As for what to do, Toronto is so diverse to the point where you can Google "insert topic of interest here Toronto" and generally get a few hits.

Since this is a hockey forum the HHOF is a must. If your with kids then either center island, Ripleys aquarium or stop just north of the city in Vaughan and check out Wonderland (Canadas biggest amusement park).

As for the fishing, not an avid fisher but those who are generally head north.

My brother either has a hockey tournament or camp, don't remember which one it is. Definitely will be checking out the HHOF. Probably the first thing on the list.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
If you're coming to Toronto in late August, I'd suggest going to the Canadian National Exhibition. It's a fair that's been held since 1879, and it's around for two weeks in late August.

Also, since you're in Midland, the Muskoka area around three lakes (Joseph, Rosseau, Muskoka) isn't too far a drive. The whole region is cottage country, but around that specific area, you may bump into a lot of NHLers cottaging there around town. A fun fact, in the late 90's, Steve Yzerman bought a cottage there once owned by Stafford Smythe, former Leafs president in the 60's and son of Conn Smythe. Within the next year, Yzerman won the Conn Smythe trophy.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If you're coming to Toronto in late August, I'd suggest going to the Canadian National Exhibition. It's a fair that's been held since 1879, and it's around for two weeks in late August.

Also, since you're in Midland, the Muskoka area around three lakes (Joseph, Rosseau, Muskoka) isn't too far a drive. The whole region is cottage country, but around that specific area, you may bump into a lot of NHLers cottaging there around town. A fun fact, in the late 90's, Steve Yzerman bought a cottage there once owned by Stafford Smythe, former Leafs president in the 60's and son of Conn Smythe. Within the next year, Yzerman won the Conn Smythe trophy.
Right around Rocky Crest, or that may of been his prior cottage. To be honest, I'd avoid Muskoka unless you are rolling in cash. Its basically turned from affordable cottage country into Hamptons/Cape Cod north.

As for fishing, I'd try to hit Georgian Bay, thats by far the cleanest of the 3 great Lakes, and the closest to where you are. I'd also try to plan all the driving into Toronto on non-rush hour weekdays if you can plan that way. You do no want to be on the 400 on a Friday during cottage season.

Reactions: Ciao

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
How far is the Lake St. Clair area from Midland? I've heard it's a world class muskie fishery, but might be too far. From a fishing perspective, it looks like it'll be great. In LI, it's almost exclusively saltwater with some warm water species thrown in in the few lakes. Looks like an abundance of warm water and cold water species around there. The only thing I'm a little disappointed about is the closed Lake Sturgeon fishery, but not a big deal.

So far, got the HHOF and Niagara Falls on the list. Center Island looks very fun, would like to check it out. Any 'have to' places for food for a family of 5?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
How far is the Lake St. Clair area from Midland? I've heard it's a world class muskie fishery, but might be too far. From a fishing perspective, it looks like it'll be great. In LI, it's almost exclusively saltwater with some warm water species thrown in in the few lakes. Looks like an abundance of warm water and cold water species around there. The only thing I'm a little disappointed about is the closed Lake Sturgeon fishery, but not a big deal.

So far, got the HHOF and Niagara Falls on the list. Center Island looks very fun, would like to check it out. Any 'have to' places for food for a family of 5?
Depends where in the city you are and what you like? Best chicken Wings are a place called Duffs (one on college is close to the core), Real Sports Bar is a bit of a trap moneywise but a good experience for watching sports (can probably catch Mets or Yanks games if thats your thing). Jays games are fun (but Skydome is a bit of a dump, especially compared to Citi Field), and TFC is an experience.

Lake St. Clair is a bit of a trek, as you basically have to drive around Georgian bay and then lake Huron to basically Michigan.

This site is useful for finding food place you make like in certain styles, its downtown focused, and leans a bit towards Yuppie and Hipster areas, but I can vouch they do a decent job. You want more high-end places or info just shoot me a PM, I'd be glad to help you out.

http://www.blogto.com/toronto/

Edit: I don't know about must haves, Toronto doesn't really have something that is comparable or as defining as things like Lou Malnati's in Chicago, John of Bleeker street, or Cheesestark Corner (Gino and Pats in Philly etc), but there are some good options. For something cheap and slightly unique to Toronto, I'd recommend going to St Lawrence Market and getting a Peameal Bacon Sandwich. That is very close to the Hall of Fame and an easy walk in good weather. And if you haven't tried it, there are a bunch of good poutine options. Hope this helps.

Edit 2: As for Midland, stopped there on the way to cottages before. Only recommendation (assuming you have younger kids) is a place called Dock Lunch. Big among the people who go up their for cottages, basically a hamburger joint on the water.

Last edited:

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
There are some great restaurants on King St. W. in the downtown area.

Yonge and Dundas is where you can do shopping and hit up some restaurants as well. It's our little version of Time Square (NYC).

If you're looking to book a hotel downtown, get something along Yonge St. or Bay St. Most of the action is south of College St.

In terms of Midland, I can't help you. All I know is that there is a ton of great nature spots up there.

Most NHL players from this area tend to spend the summers up there.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
Depends where in the city you are and what you like? Best chicken Wings are a place called Duffs (one on college is close to the core), Real Sports Bar is a bit of a trap moneywise but a good experience for watching sports (can probably catch Mets or Yanks games if thats your thing). Jays games are fun (but Skydome is a bit of a dump, especially compared to Citi Field), and TFC is an experience.

Lake St. Clair is a bit of a trek, as you basically have to drive around Georgian bay and then lake Huron to basically Michigan.

This site is useful for finding food place you make like in certain styles, its downtown focused, and leans a bit towards Yuppie and Hipster areas, but I can vouch they do a decent job. You want more high-end places or info just shoot me a PM, I'd be glad to help you out.

http://www.blogto.com/toronto/

Thanks for the info. Not a huge baseball fan, but still a mets fan, and completely forgot about the Jays. Looking at the schedule, the Jays are playing the Angels in the few days before we leave, so we'll probably look into that. I could deal with dumpy, I've been going the the Nassau Coliseum as long as I could remember ;). Also looking at possibility, we could stay an extra couple days and experience more of Toronto or make our way to Montreal before we come back.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Thanks for the info. Not a huge baseball fan, but still a mets fan, and completely forgot about the Jays. Looking at the schedule, the Jays are playing the Angels in the few days before we leave, so we'll probably look into that. I could deal with dumpy, I've been going the the Nassau Coliseum as long as I could remember ;). Also looking at possibility, we could stay an extra couple days and experience more of Toronto or make our way to Montreal before we come back.
Added some other info in the post since you've seen it. So double check it. If you go to MTL, all I gotta say is Schwartz's. A Katz/Carnagie/2nd ave level Deli. Its world famous for a reason.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Just for perspective, you can walk from the Rogers Centre (Blue Jays) to the Hockey Hall of Fame in about 20 minutes or so.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Since you like creatures of the sea check out Ripley's Aquarium, its right next to the CN Tower.

Not sure if its your first time, but people like to go see the view from the CN Tower, check out a Jays game, go to the aquarium (they are all right next to each other). HHOF is a block east away from the CN tower.

Maybe you want to see Casaloma or the ROM(its a 10 min bus ride/train ride north) away from the CN tower.

If you are coming from Midland, might want to pack it all in at the same time so you don't have to make the drive everyday to downtown. Avoid rushhour (6:30am-9:30am) and (4pm-7pm); its a waste of your time so plan around it. My suggestion is to park for the day and walk/travel around the city for the closest events you are going to.

Plenty of good restaurants all over the city, but a nice and expensive area to get great food/culture is the 'distillery district'(reservations needed) which is a streetcar ride of 10 minutes east of the CN Tower. A cheaper place is St. Lawrence Market, great food at fair prices; this is located a couple blocks east away from the HHOF. Eaton Center is a 10 minute walk north of the HHOF. Around Eaton Center is old city hall(Toronto sign from the Pan AM games), and Dundas Square.

Center Island, Canada's Wonderland, the Zoo and Niagara Falls are separate day events for the family. Wonderland/Niagara/Zoo is not close to downtown FYI; Wonderland is about a 30 minute drive north of Toronto and Niagara is an hour drive west of Toronto and the Zoo is an 45 minute drive east of Toronto.

If you want to blow all your money/time do everything, but pick a few if you have the time/money)..

Suggested order of importance and time needed:

Day 1: Downtown: HHOF 2hours, Aquarium 4 hours, CN Tower 2 hours, Jays game 4 hours, ROM 4 hours, Casaloma 2 hours, Eaton Center 2 hours, City Hall 10 min, Dundas Square 10 min (This may need to be covered over a couple of days when you have kids but I would only suggest the first 5 events any ways)

Day 2: Niagara Falls(day event)
Day 3: Center Island(day event)
Day 4: Wonderland(day event)
Day 5: Zoo(day event)

Last edited:
Reactions: Larcos_Unal

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
Since you like creatures of the sea check out Ripley's Aquarium, its right next to the CN Tower.

Not sure if its your first time, but people like to go see the view from the CN Tower, check out a Jays game, go to the aquarium (they are all right next to each other). HHOF is a block east away from the CN tower.

Maybe you want to see Casaloma or the ROM(its a 10 min bus ride/train ride north) away from the CN tower.

If you are coming from Midland, might want to pack it all in at the same time so you don't have to make the drive everyday to downtown. Avoid rushhour (6:30am-9:30am) and (4pm-7pm); its a waste of your time so plan around it. My suggestion is to park for the day and walk/travel around the city for the closest events you are going to.

Plenty of good restaurants all over the city, but a nice and expensive area to get great food/culture is the 'distillery district'(reservations needed) which is a streetcar ride of 10 minutes east of the CN Tower. A cheaper place is St. Lawrence Market, great food at fair prices; this is located a couple blocks east away from the HHOF. Eaton Center is a 10 minute walk north of the HHOF. Around Eaton Center is old city hall(Toronto sign from the Pan AM games), and Dundas Square.

Center Island, Canada's Wonderland, the Zoo and Niagara Falls are separate day events for the family. Wonderland/Niagara/Zoo is not close to downtown FYI; Wonderland is about a 30 minute drive north of Toronto and Niagara is an hour drive west of Toronto and the Zoo is an 45 minute drive east of Toronto.

If you want to blow all your money/time do everything, but pick a few if you have the time/money)..

Day 1: Downtown: HHOF 2hours, Aquarium 4 hours, CN Tower 2 hours, Jays game 4 hours, ROM 4 hours, Casaloma 2 hours, Eaton Center 2 hours, City Hall 10 min, Dundas Square 10 min (This may need to be covered over a couple of days when you have kids but I would only suggest the first 5 events any ways)

Most of our time will probably be in the Midland area, but that's only for when we have to me there, which I believe is the 18th-24th, but we could leave a few days earlier and come back a few days later. We're coming from the NY area so we'll pass by and stop at Niagara on our way up, possibly to something later in Toronto, then arrive at Midland later that night. During the duration, we'll spend most of our time in that area or go down to Toronto and do what we could during the middle of the day. I've read that August is a great time for King (Chinook) Salmon, which might hurt time wise because I'll be doing everything I can be get to a body of water and throw a line in. Since the hotel will be in the Midland area, I have a few questions about what I could do at night while everyone is sleeping. How safe is that area to be at the shores of a lake alone or with one other person at night? Might be able to fit a lot of the fishing at night which will open up the day for, well day stuff.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Since you're up north, make sure to go to either Wasaga Beach or Blue Mountain. They're both very close to Midland. They're both great for families too! Blue Mountain has mini-golf, paddle-boats, hiking and other good stuff.

Toronto has a ton of street festivals. I'm sure that they'll be one or two happening in late August too. Just google Toronto street festivals closer to when you come down.

The Distillery District is a good idea. It's contained, so it's easier for kids to let loose a bit. There are also small galleries in the DD if your family has an appreciation of the Arts. There's a petting zoo kinda of close to the DD, but if you don't have a car, it may be too hard to get there from the DD. Also, between DD and the petting zoo is one of Toronto's sketchiest areas. Not bad enough that something would happen, but not a great representation of the city.

The Danforth (Greektown) is also good place for a family to eat. South of Greektown is another restaurant area called the Beaches that also has a huge beach and a very nice boardwalk.

I think it depends how you are getting around. A rented car would make these little trips easy. If you're just taking the subway around, Greektown is easy, but the Beaches is not as easy.

By the way, if you're taking the subway, you can park at the north most stop (I forget what it is) and just take it all the way downtown. That's less of a headache.

Also, if you like high-end shopping, get off at Bloor/Yonge and walk west. There are big stores on Bloor and eventually you hit the swanky (Yorkville) where the Hollywood celebs like to hang when visiting. If you keep going even further west on Bloor, you'll hit a student area with pubs called The Annex. I don't know if this route is the easiest with kids though. This may be more of a couples thing.

Have fun!

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
Ripleys Aquarium is downtown and right beside the C.N. Tower. You can do those early and then head to centre island via ferry from lakeshore. Ripleys is like $30 a ticket (buy in advance to skip line) but has a lot of cool stuff. The C.N. Tower is huge and will give an excellent view of the city and cities around it. Any kind of food you crave is available downtown. There's shopping at various stores and the Eatons Centre as well. Wish you and your family an amazing time in Toronto.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I am originally from that area (Penetang) basically right next to Midland and would like to clear a couple things up and suggest a few things as well.

Midland is not on any of the Muskoka Lakes, it is actually on Georgian Bay (One of the greatest places to go boating in the world).

Georgian Bay is a large bay almost as big as some of the great lakes, and is actually part of Lake Huron, there is close to any type of fish you would want to catch in Georgian Bay.

As for other attractions to Midland (Depending on what your families interests are):
- Depending on how old you kids are Castle Village is an inexpensive playground (http://www.castlevillage.ca/)
- Sainte Marie Among The Hurons is a Museum of Aboriginals in the area
- Martyrs Shrine is a very large church in the area
- SS Keewatin is a large Canadian pacific steamship that is now retired and has become a museum
- Why March is a wildlife center with tours throughout the march.'
- There are multiple areas to go hiking or trails.

A lot of people seem to go to Little Lake Park, but I would avoid swimming in the water.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
Thanks for the replies! We'll be driving up from NY, so we'll have a car and transportation shouldn't be a problem. Might want to take the subway though in Toronto. If it is anything like NYC, which I'm sure it is, traffic will be painful to say the least.

I've also been doing some research on fishing for myself. It seems like if I want Sturgeon, which is a bucket list trip, I'll have to go into Michigan and fish the US side of Lake St. Clair, which isn't an option. I'll have to wait another time for those prehistoric guys. It looks like I'll save my fishing to the evenings/night except for when we go to charter a boat for a day.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Charter out of midland for salmon or trout. It will be far easier, closer, and probably better then chartering out of Toronto.

You could also charter for bass on Lake Simcoe.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Georgian Bay Airways in Parry Sound can fly you to whatever type of fishing that you'd prefer. They do day trips on float planes. It's within half an hour of Midland.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Don't waste your time on the Zoo. All the animals are pretty much the same as the New York Zoo and every other zoo. Also since when the Sky Dome is a dump? It's not very exciting. but it's far from being a dump.

Center Island I think is a must, also, depending on what day you guys come in, there are different festivals happen in the city almost every weekend: Carribana (don't get shot), Greek fest, Ukrainian fest, Gay parade etc.

Also usually in the summer there's Cirque Du Soleil, there are always different shows and they are usually spectacular, if you are into this kinda stuff (https://www.cirquedusoleil.com/toruk).

There are tons of museums and galleries downtown also, if you are into it. You can take a tall ship (http://www.wagjag.com/deal/markham-...-Active+PRS-Active&utm_source=WhatCountsEmail) ride around the center island , there's usually food and booze available too. If you are going to the Jays game, definitely check out the Steam Whistle brewery (http://steamwhistle.ca/tour/tourInfo.php) , it's right across the street. and of course CN Tower, you can walk on the edge of the tower, it's really cool. http://www.edgewalkcntower.ca/

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I would suggest going to the CNE instead of Centre Island.

when-people-ask-me-if-we-should-get-fries-or-wings-with-our-pizza-why-not-both-1460322811.jpg

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

This is pretty much all you need to know about Toronto. Highly recommend the distillery district for food/drinks but it is a bit out of the way. I'd avoid the zoo as I'm sure it's probably a slightly watered down version of the New York Zoo and well out of the way from the city.

Like others have suggested if your in Toronto in late August with kids you probably should probably go to the CNET. Rides, games and food trucks. The largest Canadian festival that has been hosted for over 100 years.

Most of our time will probably be in the Midland area, but that's only for when we have to me there, which I believe is the 18th-24th, but we could leave a few days earlier and come back a few days later. We're coming from the NY area so we'll pass by and stop at Niagara on our way up, possibly to something later in Toronto, then arrive at Midland later that night. During the duration, we'll spend most of our time in that area or go down to Toronto and do what we could during the middle of the day. I've read that August is a great time for King (Chinook) Salmon, which might hurt time wise because I'll be doing everything I can be get to a body of water and throw a line in. Since the hotel will be in the Midland area, I have a few questions about what I could do at night while everyone is sleeping. How safe is that area to be at the shores of a lake alone or with one other person at night? Might be able to fit a lot of the fishing at night which will open up the day for, well day stuff.

Midland is safe. Going fishing early in the morning, be on like lake by around 4-5, is probably your best bet. Prime time to fish and you can be back by the time your family wakes up.

As for what there is to do around Midland. Wasaga beach is a popular beach in the area. It's not the nicest beach, or the cleanest water, but it has been built as a tourist attraction with stores, resturants, bars and games for the kids. It's a quick half hour drive from Midland and would probably be perfect for whenever you have free time. Try to avoid it at night as it is a popular summer party spot for teens.

Another option is to drive an hour west to Blue Mountain. It's a ski resort turned outdoor adventure in the summer. Hiking, swimming, resturants. It's cleaner than wasaga and has more to do.

You could also go to Horshoevalley or Snow Valley also both ski resorts that offer outdoor activities in the summer.

http://m.horseshoeresort.com/activities.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: Gilmour1996

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I would just spend most of my time up north, where you are. It'll be more relaxing, and the lakes of Ontario are one of the best features of the province. You're from Long Island, so you're probably not used to lake fishing, which seems important to you. It'll be a new experience.

If you do hit Toronto, skip the museums. I'd recommend them to someone from elsewhere, but in your case, just go to Manhattan for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad