Visiting Hamburg

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
So.. I will come to Hamburg in August, what are some must-sees?

Also, do I need to learn German (I can read German, understand it somewhat) or are people somewhat fluent in English?

I am also very interested to know if there are some great veggie wursts somewhere in the city!

We will also travel either to Hansa Park or Heide Park for one day. It is looking much like Hansa Park will be the one. I've visited both loads when I was a kid. Hansa Park is easier to get to, which might mean it will be our choice.

If we would choose Heide Park however.. How on earth would we get there? There does not seem to be local traffic going from Soltau station to Heide Park from what I can find..

Kleefeld

Feb 21, 2018
You can go by foot from Wolterdingen (20 minutes) to HeidePark and there also seems to be a bus from Soltau_

Most people younger than 60 should speak some English in Hamburg for sure. No idea about veggie Bratwurst though, don't even eat the "real" one very often.
How long will you stay?

Reactions: mattihp

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
You can go by foot from Wolterdingen (20 minutes) to HeidePark and there also seems to be a bus from Soltau_

Most people younger than 60 should speak some English in Hamburg for sure. No idea about veggie Bratwurst though, don't even eat the "real" one very often.
How long will you stay?
20 minutes wouldn't be so fun after many hours of walking, so Hansa Park wins I guess :D

We will be ther for like 8, days.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I haven't been to Hamburg but Germany enough times now. I'd say you can get by with English in a big city just fine, though the saying that everybody speaks English is definitely not true. Sure, they learn it in school, but then most never use it ever again. Just ask, and most in the general shops and stores will try. If you can ready German, that helps, and you also have your phone to translate in the worst case.

I was in Berlin one time, the main train station. A guy was stood selling something and I needed some assistance, so I went and asked if he spoke English - no. German? - no… so that was fun but in the end I found the tourist office!

Sep 19, 2008
See the Dom by the Big gray castle like relic

Basically a carnival if you're into that stuff

Also hamburg is famous for their plays

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
See the Dom by the Big gray castle like relic

Basically a carnival if you're into that stuff

Also hamburg is famous for their plays
I do like carnival games! Sweet. Many tourist guides (of which almost all are in german?!) say to not go to Dom. But to some degree as a tourist I want to do touristy things.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
A colleague ate Waldmeister ice cream somewhere in Hamburg, kinda like gelato but with the most german of tastes(because currywurst would make a bad tast) in his cone. Anyone have a guess where there might have been?

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
A colleague ate Waldmeister ice cream somewhere in Hamburg, kinda like gelato but with the most german of tastes(because currywurst would make a bad tast) in his cone. Anyone have a guess where there might have been?
It’s a very common ice cream flavour in Germany. You should be able to find it pretty much anywhere in Hamburg.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
It’s a very common ice cream flavour in Germany. You should be able to find it pretty much anywhere in Hamburg.
Nice! It is interesting that waldmeister flavour really isn't popular anywhere else at all. I remember mixing brausepulver in water when I was a kid and just couldn't place that taste. Are there any other desserts that taste lots of waldmeister?

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Nice! It is interesting that waldmeister flavour really isn't popular anywhere else at all. I remember mixing brausepulver in water when I was a kid and just couldn't place that taste. Are there any other desserts that taste lots of waldmeister?
It’s really just ice cream, Brause and jello I think.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Did brause ever dissolve nicely in water or is that just a false, nostalgic memory? Nowadays I just get powdery water.

I can't really compare it to today, since I haven't had any in a decade or two, but I remember it dissolved completely back in the day, unless one had to little water or when the water was very, very cold. I usually dissolved it in room tempereture water and then put it in the fridge or added ice if I wanted it cold.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
How much is a cab fare under 20 minutes approximately? As far as I've understood, services like uber, lyft, bolt etc aren't all that widespread

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
How much is a cab fare under 20 minutes approximately? As far as I've understood, services like uber, lyft, bolt etc aren't all that widespread

Can't really say, but maybe you will find this helpful:

If you know from where to where you want to go in Hamburg, you can use this site to calculate the expected cab fare.
Unfortunately it seems to be available only in German.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Can't really say, but maybe you will find this helpful:

If you know from where to where you want to go in Hamburg, you can use this site to calculate the expected cab fare.
Unfortunately it seems to be available only in German.

I am looking for options in Soltau for Heide Park, but I guess the prices would be kinda similar!

I've been to Hansa Park like 10+ times but I think I've only visited Heide Park 4 times, with the last time almost 30 years ago :D

Found a taxi site now. 13.10 from Wolterdingen to Heide Park. Now we just have to figure out if it is worth not having to walk 2km. Depends on my form and how much pain I am in, I guess.

olliho

Apr 1, 2008
Miniaturwunderland is kind of cool if you kept your inner Child. Harbour Tour is a must imO. If you like Sport go to St.Pauli or HSV Soccer Game, or maybe if there are Games also the European Football League. Football has quite a Hype in G, last Home Games about 30.000 Fans in Hamburg.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Miniaturwunderland is kind of cool if you kept your inner Child. Harbour Tour is a must imO. If you like Sport go to St.Pauli or HSV Soccer Game, or maybe if there are Games also the European Football League. Football has quite a Hype in G, last Home Games about 30.000 Fans in Hamburg.
Miniaturwunderland is on the list! Football however is sooo boring..

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Train leaves tomorrow! So excited!
Hotel is between Hafencity and Hammerbrook so lots of fun stuff right on our doorstep.

I hope you have a blast. I don't know how long you will stay, but you might be a bit unlucky with the weather, early on.
It looks like it will be a bit rainy and windy until Wednesday but things should clear up afterwards, but of course weather forecasts are still a bit unreliable.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I hope you have a blast. I don't know how long you will stay, but you might be a bit unlucky with the weather, early on.
It looks like it will be a bit rainy and windy until Wednesday but things should clear up afterwards, but of course weather forecasts are still a bit unreliable.
Coming from a very rainy Sweden doesn't hurt. Most everyone says that Hamburg's weather is the least reliable of any city pretty much.

We will hit many museums and stuff and planning Heide Park for Thursday so we should be quite safe.

Reactions: Maverick41

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
20230808_202013.jpg

First day done! Well, almost. Didn't do much as my partner mostly slept once check in was done. We visited the Police museum and some shops. Tomorrow we will see more of the city!

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Are there any shops with a greater selection of beers? Trying to find Waldmeister beer for my brother. Lemke or Berliner Kindle or something like that!

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Are there any shops with a greater selection of beers? Trying to find Waldmeister beer for my brother. Lemke or Berliner Kindle or something like that!

You could try one these, however this is just what I found with an internet search. I have no idea if they actually have what you are looking for.

Ratsherrn Store Schanze
Lagerstraße 30a · 040 3807289222
Closed ⋅ Opens 12 pm Fri
Varied bottles from all over the world

Beyond Beer
Weidenallee 55 · 040 44465424
Closes soon ⋅ 8 pm
Bright, modern shop & taproom

Bierspezi Hoheluft
Hoheluftchaussee 117/119 · 040 4220254
Closed ⋅ Opens 8 am Fri
In-store shopping·
In-store pick-up·
Delivery

There is also a store that has Berliner Kindl Waldmeister beer (link), but it is a store where you have to pre-order and then go there to pick it up, so they can make sure they have what you are looking for available.

The address for the store to pick it up is:
Getränkeshop Marco Höpner
Lappenbergsallee 45
20257 Hamburg-Eimsbüttel

I hope maybe one of these helps.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
You could try one these, however this is just what I found with an internet search. I have no idea if they actually have what you are looking for.

Ratsherrn Store Schanze
Lagerstraße 30a · 040 3807289222
Closed ⋅ Opens 12 pm Fri
Varied bottles from all over the world

Beyond Beer
Weidenallee 55 · 040 44465424
Closes soon ⋅ 8 pm
Bright, modern shop & taproom

Bierspezi Hoheluft
Hoheluftchaussee 117/119 · 040 4220254
Closed ⋅ Opens 8 am Fri
In-store shopping·
In-store pick-up·
Delivery

There is also a store that has Berliner Kindl Waldmeister beer (link), but it is a store where you have to pre-order and then go there to pick it up, so they can make sure they have what you are looking for available.

The address for the store to pick it up is:
Getränkeshop Marco Höpner
Lappenbergsallee 45
20257 Hamburg-Eimsbüttel

I hope maybe one of these helps.
Those are the ones I found on google too. Will give them a shot!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad