Player Discussion: Ville Heinola

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The other interesting tidbit is that Buff notwithstanding Pionk is one of the more physical legit top 4 D man we have had. He hits allot, targets the other teams stars, and has an edge. Trouba and Chiarot (borderline top 4 for us) were bigger and more rugged but Pionk hits more often. He is the Jet that is disliked and under the skin of other teams fan bases the most. Well of course until Scheifs heel turn.
I tend to agree. But I have also noticed that Pionk seems to look worn down as he gets heavy playoff usage. I'm not sure he has the physical stature to play that style in such a prominent role. I think the Jets need to play him with a partner that takes some of the load off him, physically and in puck retrieval and movement. Forbort was such a liability that he made Pionk carry a huge load with and without the puck. I'm hoping a big, mobile LD who can play a physical game while taking a bigger role in puck movement can allow Pionk to play with a lighter load. Samberg has the ideal profile for that. Oleksiak would also be a good fit.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I was bemused by Mo's "stacked on the left side" comment, but it's telling. I really, really hope we don't ship out Heinola + for a guy like Savard, but I'm worried that we might. And I agree with @Zhamnov5GoalGame that a 22 year-old Ville is likely to give a 28 year-old JMo serious competition for that 1LHD spot, if not sooner. I don't see Stanley or Samberg having anywhere near his upside, really, despite their quality and utility.

I think you're referring to the wrong HF Zhamnov account ;)
@Zhamnov10

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I tend to agree. But I have also noticed that Pionk seems to look worn down as he gets heavy playoff usage. I'm not sure he has the physical stature to play that style in such a prominent role. I think the Jets need to play him with a partner that takes some of the load off him, physically and in puck retrieval and movement. Forbort was such a liability that he made Pionk carry a huge load with and without the puck. I'm hoping a big, mobile LD who can play a physical game while taking a bigger role in puck movement can allow Pionk to play with a lighter load. Samberg has the ideal profile for that. Oleksiak would also be a good fit.

Good point.

Interesting that right back to his time in New York Pionk has usually been paired with bottom pairing partners in a top 4 role. He really hasn’t played much with a good partner.

I think a guy that can skate, move the puck, defend well, and cycle bust would be perfect. I have always felt Samberg would be a nice fit but I’m aware Dylan has yet to prove himself at the NHL level.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Absolutely to all of this

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

Pionk gave it his all in a contact year - he's looking for a payday and will likely get it.
But he will not play this type of physical game through his career - he didn't do it much before this year and he won't do it as much after he's signs the big one.

As per your points, I agree he doesn't have the physical depth to play a consistent heavy, hitting game - it will catch up to him and it won't take that long.
I like the fact that he tries to be a physical presence out there - but I wouldn't expect it from him game in / out.

I'd like to see him work on his skating - he has decent edges but outright speed is not good and it cost him a few times when he's tracking back to catch up or even keep up with a play that's suddenly heading the other way. If he had another gear, it would add a lot to this game at both ends.

Reactions: Upperdeckjet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad