Ville de Québec Part V: Fin? Moi non plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merci*

Of course it is. It's called Vintage. Shop.NHL.com has Atlanta Flames, Atlanta Thrashers, Brooklyn Americans, Colorado Rockies (NHL), Hartford Whalers, Minnesota North Stars, Oakland Seals, Quebec Nordiques, and Toronto St. Patricks gear for sale.

I guess I finally met someone that actually buys from Nhl.com. I bought a Nordiques baseball cap in Sherbrooke that wasn't vintage....

Winnipeg Jet

Phoenix Coyote
Jun 2, 2011
British Columbia
jets.nhl.com
I guess I finally met someone that actually buys from Nhl.com. I bought a Nordiques baseball cap in Sherbrooke that wasn't vintage....

I prefer River City Sports actually, but for some reason, RCP, NHL.com, and others often seem to have different merchandise when it comes to polos, t-shirts, and the like. I'll either go for the one I like the most, though sometimes I'll go for my second choice if it's significantly cheaper (but the same quality). It's a balancing act.

It also sounds better for the arguement if I say that the NHL is selling it rather than some random store that might still have stock.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon

I lived in Sherbrooke last summer... I bought an Oilers hat because they were wicked cheap in that store at Carrefour. Was Sherbrooke always seen as a "Nordiques" town? I ask because there was a hell of a lot of Nords stuff in and around the city. A lot more than Canadiens stuff.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
I lived in Sherbrooke last summer... I bought an Oilers hat because they were wicked cheap in that store at Carrefour. Was Sherbrooke always seen as a "Nordiques" town? I ask because there was a hell of a lot of Nords stuff in and around the city. A lot more than Canadiens stuff.

Don't know the answer to this question, but the anecdote makes me happy. :yo:

Merci*

It's only a sound argument if you want the Coyotes to stay. I'm trying to keep the relocation train moving.

I prefer River City Sports actually, but for some reason, RCP, NHL.com, and others often seem to have different merchandise when it comes to polos, t-shirts, and the like. I'll either go for the one I like the most, though sometimes I'll go for my second choice if it's significantly cheaper (but the same quality). It's a balancing act.

It also sounds better for the arguement if I say that the NHL is selling it rather than some random store that might still have stock.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Of course it is. It's called Vintage. Shop.NHL.com has Atlanta Flames, Atlanta Thrashers, Brooklyn Americans, Colorado Rockies (NHL), Hartford Whalers, Minnesota North Stars, Oakland Seals, Quebec Nordiques, and Toronto St. Patricks gear for sale.

I tend not to encourage NHL just yet. I support my Nordiques with an after-market jersey until the team is back and new colors are known. I am not financing Phoenix thru merchandise just yet. Call me bitter.

I give up. This isn't specifically directed at you but this is about the 10th time someone demonstrates that the new QC arena will "logically" be booked more heavily than the current Colisée. Nobody can argue against logic. The problem is that logic works exactly as well for 10, 50, 80, 120 or 250 extra dates. That logic doesn't convince me that the new arena will be as heavily booked as the Bell Centre, which was #10 in the World Pollstar Rankings (2009).

I've understood your argument and won't fight, there is no need. But if you live in Quebec as you said, you know how we tend to fight against our big brother Montreal in everyday's life. I guess we need to stick it up till 2015/2016 and see how our new Colisée will look infront of our own eyes.

JB52

Apr 6, 2012
Quebec City
That’s it; my Nordiqu-o-meter is at zero. We need to be realist, there's only 9 days left until the draft and I don’t expect GB to announce it on the podium that night. Maybe GWI’s challenge will lead to something, but not in time for 2012.

What really disappoint me is that I don’t believe that any other franchises will relocate in the near future and I think that expansion is absurd, if not damageable for the league. Games are already boring enough, can you really add 24 other fourth liners and 12 more sixth defenseman.

Which lead us to wonder, why the hell I would want a team in Quebec anyway? Games are so boring that block shots has become important stats. Foxboro is only at seven hours, I’ll keep my money and I’ll drive there to support the Pats instead.

Last edited:

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
That’s it; my Nordiqu-o-meter is at zero. We need to be realist, there only 9 days left until the draft and I don’t expect GB to announce it on the podium that night. Maybe GWI’s challenge will lead to something, but not in time for 2012.

What really disappoint me is that I don’t believe that any other franchises will relocate in the near future and I think that expansion is absurd, if not damageable for the league. Games are already boring enough, can you really add 24 other fourth liners and 12 more sixth defenseman.

Which lead us to wonder, why the hell I would want a team in Quebec anyway? Games are so boring that block shots has become important stats. Foxboro is only at seven hours, I’ll keep my money and I’ll drive there to support the Pats instead.

Which stage is this... denial? :laugh: Dude, Greg Jamison doesn't have the cash. The latest hair-brained scheme involves the league lending him money so he can buy the team. It's a mess. PKP's media empire, the new arena and rabid Québecois must be looking pretty good right now to a lot of the BoG. Don't give up hope!

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
The league is beyond stupid if it "lends" Jamison the rest of the money to buy the team. He'll never pay them back, so it's going to practically be a "gift"

Will they give me $100 million too? I'm good for it, I swear.

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
Which stage is this... denial? :laugh: Dude, Greg Jamison doesn't have the cash. The latest hair-brained scheme involves the league lending him money so he can buy the team. It's a mess. PKP's media empire, the new arena and rabid Québecois must be looking pretty good right now to a lot of the BoG. Don't give up hope!

It is no coincidence they are replaying some old Lance et Compte stuff on TVA :)

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
The league is beyond stupid if it "lends" Jamison the rest of the money to buy the team. He'll never pay them back, so it's going to practically be a "gift"

Will they give me $100 million too? I'm good for it, I swear.

What I don't understand is how is GJ gonna pay the operating costs and absorb future losses if he can't even get the money to buy the team.

Dado

In the scenario described, they aren't lending him anything, they're retaining majority ownership. If the team goes nips-up, Jamison's downpayment is gone, BoG retains ownership, and can start the entire unvirtuous cycle over again.

Choctaw bingo, my man, Uncle Slayton selling off the same slice of quarter section over and over again.

If the BoG is willing to play along with it, it's actually pretty clever. Big-league wise, it's only a couple steps up from selling crank on the Home Shopping Network, but what the hell, man's gotta make a living.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
What I don't understand is how is GJ gonna pay the operating costs and absorb future losses if he can't even get the money to buy the team.

That's a great point. They could conceivably lose even more money than they have over the past 2 years, as the Monorail Management Fee will be lower. Does the BoG really want to incur horrendous losses in Glendale for the rest of eternity? Really? A lot of things about the Phoenix Coyotes don't make sense, but this purported scheme is absolutely assinine.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
In the scenario described, they aren't lending him anything, they're retaining majority ownership. If the team goes nips-up, Jamison's downpayment is gone, BoG retains ownership, and can start the entire unvirtuous cycle over again.

Choctaw bingo, my man, Uncle Slayton selling off the same slice of quarter section over and over again.

If the BoG is willing to play along with it, it's actually pretty clever. Big-league wise, it's only a couple steps up from selling crank on the Home Shopping Network, but what the hell, man's gotta make a living.

I don't understand why the BOG would want to be a stakeholder with that organization for the foreseeable future. It doesn't exactly make sense for the league to continually own one team. What if another team needs to be "saved"? The NHL can't own two teams... This isn't the CFL.

If Jamison can't find the money, then why even bother? Even if he acquires the team, the NHL has to know that they'll be finding themselves in this exact situation in the not too distant future.

Hockey can work in Phoenix/Glendale, but I have my serious doubts that top notch, big money professional hockey can work in Phoenix/Glendale.

Merci*

Silence is the worse regardless of which way fans want the end result to be....My first ever NHL game was in Quebec. I was there when Lindros played his first game as a Flyer in Quebec. Great childhood memories. I jumped on the Bruins band wagon when they left but will jump ship when the return occurs. I have started my Nordique collection again. I get alot of encouraging comments unless I am visiting north of the border in Montreal....haha

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

Now, if you are part of the Jamison investors group, you would get the best deal of the day by simply turning your back to all this saga and do something else with your money. If things go bad, guess who pays first...the investors.

That’s it; my Nordiqu-o-meter is at zero. We need to be realist, there's only 9 days left until the draft and I don’t expect GB to announce it on the podium that night. Maybe GWI’s challenge will lead to something, but not in time for 2012.

I do the same, just about hour and half shorter ride to TD Garden downtown Boston. Great city (feels like the old Quebec as well) and great place to see hockey.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...ey-night-in-canada-anniversary-158636195.html

The concerts would run on Saturdays to co-ordinate with its hockey broadcast schedule and see shows in Toronto, Calgary, Ottawa, Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Montreal and an unspecified "Eastern location." They would run from November 2012 to April 2013.

Run with it
Funny how recently some journalist are sending all sort of "Wink! Wink! Nudge! Nudge!" If things are going the way I think they could be the news is bound to leak soon.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad