Vilardi out with an enlarged spleen - update: dude recovered playing March 30

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Some people have their spleen totally removed, and live a normal functioning life. I don't know if you could still play physical sports tho ? From what I've read it's mostly caused by physical impact to the area where the spleen is. Hopefully he gets better and can play. The guy is a walking medical hazard. Good player , but fragile as hell.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Some people have their spleen totally removed, and live a normal functioning life. I don't know if you could still play physical sports tho ? From what I've read it's mostly caused by physical impact to the area where the spleen is. Hopefully he gets better and can play. The guy is a walking medical hazard. Good player , but fragile as hell.
When you look at him, it's easy to forget that he's only 24 years old lol. His body breaks down at the same rate as someone who is as old as Gabe looks

Reactions: Jets 31 and GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
When you look at him, it's easy to forget that he's only 24 years old lol. His body breaks down at the same rate as someone who is as old as Gabe looks
Have to agree with you, and with his hair falling out at 21 or 22 yrs old, compounded with all the medical injuries, you'd have to assume his body was not built for the long haul. Maybe he'll surprise us, and come back and play regularly for 3-4 years straight, but I have my doubts. I'd be very skeptical on signing this guy to any contract with longer term, as I don't think his body will hold up. Surprise me Gabe.

Reactions: Channelcat

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
You definitely can. My dad ruptured his spleen, and nearly died playing football over 50 years ago. he continued to play sports competitively.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Bucky is spleenless I believe.

Reactions: GNP

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
One snippet from 32 thoughts today:

20. Winnipeg is operating under the assumption Gabe Vilardi will return this season, which is great to hear.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
You definitely can. My dad ruptured his spleen, and nearly died playing football over 50 years ago. he continued to play sports competitively.

Oh who was that player on the Coyotes that Buff hit so hard it ruptured his spleen and it had to be removed? Boedker? he still played afterwards

Reactions: GNP

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
If it is Mono, that timeline of possibly being available for the season/playoff tracks with it no longer being acute stage, but entering recovery stage. The problem is that everyone is different and you can't accurately project what that looks like and there are some common lingering symptoms like fatigue that tend to pester folks. It makes sense why the Jets statement about a possible return is so cautious.

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
Have to agree with you, and with his hair falling out at 21 or 22 yrs old, compounded with all the medical injuries, you'd have to assume his body was not built for the long haul. Maybe he'll surprise us, and come back and play regularly for 3-4 years straight, but I have my doubts. I'd be very skeptical on signing this guy to any contract with longer term, as I don't think his body will hold up. Surprise me Gabe.

Phil (the balding thrill) Kessel has entered the chat.

Hard to believe Phil has one of the longest ironman game streaks.

The man has the body of an IT Manager for McDonalds.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
We'd have had more than 1 player out with an enlarged spleen and mono itself would keep players out more that a game or two. Also it sounded like a stomach bug was going around the room. Norovirus has been running wild this winter out east. Could've brought it back from a road trip.
Mono is a common reason for an enlarged spleen, an enlarged spleen isn't necessarily a common symptom of mono.

What is happening in that locker room after wins??
If it ain't broke...

Reactions: Jet

RestlessYoungZero

Jul 10, 2011
Is this a joke?? Male pattern baldness has absolutely nothing to do with long term health or durability

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
We'd have had more than 1 player out with an enlarged spleen and mono itself would keep players out more that a game or two. Also it sounded like a stomach bug was going around the room. Norovirus has been running wild this winter out east. Could've brought it back from a road trip.

Yeah I don’t think mono is the bug that was going around the room. Recovery times from mono to get back to normal strength for healthy person is like 2-4 weeks, not just one or two days (we’ve seen jets players missing one single game with this bug, not weeks). Now, did vilardi specifically have mono perhaps? Perhaps yes, based on some of the causes of enlarged spleens and considering Friedman’s recent news that the Jets expect vilardi to return this season - I assume the cause of the enlarged spleen was something less serious, such as mono, rather than some of the more serious causes listed in google search results (I by no means consider myself knowledgeable in enlarged spleens, to be clear). But I don’t think the bug that the team has been dealing with is mono, it just wouldn’t add up to the timespans that players have been missing.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yeah I don’t think mono is the bug that was going around the room. Recovery times from mono to get back to normal strength for healthy person is like 2-4 weeks, not just one or two days (we’ve seen jets players missing one single game with this bug, not weeks). Now, did vilardi specifically have mono perhaps? Perhaps yes, based on some of the causes of enlarged spleens and considering Friedman’s recent news that the Jets expect vilardi to return this season - I assume the cause of the enlarged spleen was something less serious, such as mono, rather than some of the more serious causes listed in google search results (I by no means consider myself knowledgeable in enlarged spleens, to be clear). But I don’t think the bug that the team has been dealing with is mono, it just wouldn’t add up to the timespans that players have been missing.
Yeah you're most likely correct. It was posted earlier that mono isn't a virus that gets passed around that easily like the flu or COVID through airborne particles. Really has to be through fluid swapping. So unless they are all kissing a lot or sharing bottles and utensils it's unlikely it was going around the room.

One of my friends had it when we were young and it knocked him on his ass for about 3 or 4 months.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Jesus there are some wild assumptions here.

Is this a joke?? Male pattern baldness has absolutely nothing to do with long term health or durability
It's an absurd post. I started balding at 16 and at 36 I've never broken a bone in my life despite the fact that I should have several times. I've never had a serious injury. I've worked in several physically demanding fields with high injury rates and never had any issues. Conflating baldness with durability may be one of the stupidest things I've seen on these boards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad