Viktor's 2018 NHL Mock Draft (April) (UPDATED VERSION IN POST #18)

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Standings are based on the date 3/26/18. I ran a lottery.

1. :wings selects Rasmus Dahlin D Frolunda HC (SHL)

Detroit gets Dahlin, let the Lidstrom comparisons begin!

2. :habs selects Andrei Svechnikov RW Barrie Colts (OHL)

Montreal should tank for next year so they can grab one of the many centers in that draft. Random statement I know, but whatever. However, for this draft if Montreal moves up to the 2nd slot they would be fools to pass on a sniper like Svechnikov even though he's a winger.

3. :sens selects Adam Boqvist D Brynas IF (SHL)

I feel that Ottawa's team needs more defensive prospects in their system rather then forwards. I mean their current top prospect in Chabot is already on the team. Boqvist would be a very nice pick, and maybe an eventually replacement for Karlsson if they end up trading him away.

TRADE ALERT!!!
New York Islanders acquire the 4th Overall selection from the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for pick #8, and pick #39.
4. (BUF) :isles selects Filip Zadina RW Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)

Yes I made a trade in a mock draft, and it's probably gonna be a bit controversial, but idc my mock draft my rules lol. With Zadina still on the board the Islanders trade up with the Sabres who were hoping Boqvist would drop down to them feel it would be better to drop in the draft and gain another pick in the 2nd Round. The Islanders gain a top winger prospect, and still have the Flames pick to use in the 1st Round.

5. :coyotes selects Oliver Wahlstrom RW U.S National U18 Team (USHL)

A big leap for Wahlstrom to move up into the Top 5. The Coyotes need pretty much anything they can get so after debating if they should take Bouchard or Wahlstrom, and in the end I just felt that the Yotes need that winger to complement Keller for the future. And those 2 on the same line would be absolutely insane.

6. :nucks selects Evan Bouchard D London Knights (OHL)

Vancouver takes the big two-way defender Bouchard to help out their defensive-core for the future. Vancouver has one of the best forward prospects pool, if not the best forward prospect pool, so adding a defender would be a wise decision imo.

7. :hawks selects Quinn Hughes D Univ. of Michigan (NCAA)

A toss-up between Hughes, and Tkachuk, but can you even name any defenders on their team other than Kieth, and Seabrook (and yes you probably can, but I was trying to make a joke) so going with Hughes would probably be the best option.

8. (NYI) :sabres selects Noah Dobson D Acadie-Bathurst Titan (QMJHL)

After moving down, the Sabres are able to select the right-handed defender in Dobson. Pretty easy choice imo, the Sabres I don't think really need Tkachuk.

9. :edmonton selects Brady Tkachuk LW Boston Univ. (NCAA)

Back to back mock drafts where Tkachuk goes to Edmonton. Is it destiny?

10. :rangers selects Joe Veleno C Drummondville Voltiguers (QMJHL)

And like that Veleno is in my Top 10. Tough choice between him and Ty Smith, but I ended up going with Veleno just because I think adding a possible future #1 center, and the best center prospect in the draft wouldn't be a bad choice for the Rags.

11. :canes selects Joel Farabee LW U.S National U18 Team (USHL)

12. (CGY) :isles selects Ty Smith D Spokane Chiefs (WHL)

13. :starsselects Jesper Kotkaniemi C Karpat (Assat)

14. :panthers selects Bode Wilde D U.S National U18 Team (USHL)

15. :kings selects Barrett Hayton C Ste. Sault Marie Greyhounds (OHL)

16. :devils selects Isac Lundestrom C Lulea HF (SHL)

17. :flyers selects Dominik Bokk LW Vaxjo Lakers (SHL)

18. :cbj selects Akil Thomas C Niagara Ice Dogs (OHL)

19. (STL) :flyers selects Vitali Kravtsov RW Traktor Chelyabinsk (KHL)

20. :ducks selects Jett Woo D Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL)

21. :avs selects Rasmus Kupari C Karpat (Liiga)

22. (PIT) :sens selects Serron Noel RW Oshawa Generals (OHL)

23. :wild selects Grigori Denisenko LW Loko Yaroslavl (MHL)

24. :sharks selects Mattias Samuelsson D U.S National U18 Team (USHL)

25. :leafs selects Jacob Olofsson C Timra IK (Allsvenskan)

26. (WPG) :bluesselects Ryan Merkley D Guelph Storm (OHL)

27. (BOS) :rangers selects Nils Lundkvist D Lulea HF (SHL)

28. :caps selects Rasmus Sandin D Ste. Sault Marie Greyhounds (OHL)

29. (VGK) :wings selects Alexander Khovanov C Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL)

30. (TBL) :rangers selects K'Andre Miller D U.S National U18 Team (USHL)

31. (NSH) :hawks selects Calen Addison D Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL)

Also, if ya'll have a problem with the trade, all I'll do is make it like this.

4. :sabres selects Filip Zadina RW Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)

8. :isles selects Brady Tkachuk LW Boston Univ. (NCAA)

9. :edmonton selects Noah Dobson D Acadie-Bathurst Titan (QMJHL)

flyersdad

Jan 23, 2018
great work. love the trade. All drafts have trades and pick movements. Why shouldn't mock drafts. love getting two highly skilled wingers for the flyers.

Reactions: ViktorBaeArvidsson

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
From what I’ve heard Tkachuk is high enough on Buffalo’s list that they wouldn’t pass on him at 4 let alone at 8.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
The isles would take Dobson at #8, not Tkachuk. The potential top pairing defender is more important to us. And we still might well take Smith at #12 to double up. The 2 2nd's can be used for offense.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Svechnikov would be unreal, but I don't see what Boqvist has done to put himself above the other defenders available. I also don't think Addison is worth a 1st. Aside from those two little tidbits, I like the mock a lot.

Reactions: flyersdad

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
I don't care which team you are and what your needs are, if you have the 2nd overall pick, you're taking one of Svechnikov/Zadina. Well done

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
The Islanders would definitely need to trade both 1st round picks to move up to #4. I actually see something like that happening.

This would be an unlikely draft for the Rangers. They are stacked at Center (Zibanejad, Hayes, Chytil, Andersson, Howden, Namestnikov, Spooner) and LHD (Skjei, Hajek, Lindgren, Rykov, Day).

If we don’t pick a wing or righty D in the first round with 3 picks, I’ll take a lap.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
The Coyotes wouldn't pass on Tkachuk like that. They've been loving Boston University lately (Clayton Keller, Brandon Hickey, Cam Crotty). The marketing opportunity and the throwback Tkachuk jerseys. Not to mention Tkachuk fills a need.

Reactions: OT OEL

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
You don't think the Devils will take a D in the first round? I'm not saying the C/F prospect pool is super loaded, but it's got enough of a pipeline to where they can start building that D pipeline. There is really nothing there but potential bottom pairing to healthy scratch D (Santini is bottom pairing but can play up a couple games into the top 4). Greene will more than likely be gone in 2 years and also losing Moore after this season. Who knows if Mueller pans out long term.

I can't imagine that the Devils don't address defense in the first round.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Feb 18, 2017
You don't think the Devils will take a D in the first round? I'm not saying the C/F prospect pool is super loaded, but it's got enough of a pipeline to where they can start building that D pipeline. There is really nothing there but potential bottom pairing to healthy scratch D (Santini is bottom pairing but can play up a couple games into the top 4). Greene will more than likely be gone in 2 years and also losing Moore after this season. Who knows if Mueller pans out long term.

I can't imagine that the Devils don't address defense in the first round.
Problem was is that I forgot to put Jared McIsaac in my draft, so I would probably replace Lundstrom with him. Though, the reason behind me giving them Lundstrom was because after they traded Henrique I figured they might want a replacement for him. Though they do have McLeod... Just pretend I gave them McIsaac :)

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Feb 18, 2017
I figured to do an updated version of my April Mock Draft since I missed McIsaac in my last one, and since I now have the real Lottery teams available, also I can throw in my playoffs predictions in it too. So here's a new updated version of my April Mock Draft. (I ran a lottery)

1. :coyotes selects Rasmus Dahlin D Frolunda HC (SHL)

Arizona gets to move up to the 1st, and they get the easy choice to take Dahlin.

2. :rangers selects Andrei Svechnikov RW Barrie Colts (OHL)

Rangers get to move up 6 spots and are able to get themselves Svechnikov. Probably the best scenario for the Rangers if they can't get Dahlin, to get either Svechnikov or Zadina, they don't really have any top tier wingers.

3. :sabres selects Adam Boqvist D Brynas IF (SHL)

Sabres go with the defender rather than Zadina, just because the Sabres have a really weak defensive prospect group (Other than Guhle who do they have?), and their winger prospect pool has guys like Nylander, Pu, Bailey, Baptiste, and Fasching to name a few. So adding Boqvist seems like the smartest move for the Sabres IMO, if they don't get Dahlin.

4. :sens selects Filip Zadina RW Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)

When you look at the Sens, there's a lot of issues positional wise, so to me they should just take the BPA, and if that's Zadina at #4 that would be amazing for them. Even though they have really good wingers in Stone, Hoffman, and Ryan (kinda). Adding another winger to the pool since they don't really have many great winger prospects incoming soon.

5. :habs selects Brady Tkachuk LW Boston Univ. (NCAA)

Okay Habs fans listen, 2019 has plenty of center prospects, so it's not my fault you decided to collapse in the wrong draft year, so as punishment you get Tkachuk. Of course I'm kidding, Tkachuk definitely improved late in the year, and looks like a Top 5 pick in my opinion. He just seems like the guy Montreal will draft if they can't get the 4 guys above, even though I'm sure fans will rather have Wahlstrom, or any of the defenders, but IMO Tkachuk seems like the player Montreal would take in this scenario.

6. :wings selects Evan Bouchard D London Knights (OHL)

Detroit get the big right-handed defense-man prospect that they desperately need and needed for a long-time. Bouchard had an amazing season, and has definitely climbed up the boards on most people's mock drafts from a late 1st Rounder into now a Top 10 pick.

7. :nucks selects Quinn Hughes D Univ. of Michigan (NCAA)

Vancouver needs defense much more than offense, so taking the offensive defender in Hughes is probably the smartest choice for them. Him or Dobson would be solid choices, but I have Hughes ranked higher in my rankings soooo yeah :)

8. :hawks selects Noah Dobson D Acadie-Bathurst Titan (QMJHL)

Yes it's tough to pass up on Wahlstrom, but Chicago defense is a dumpster fire other than Kieth. So taking Dobson would make the most sense for the Hawks, or any defender really.

9. :edmonton selects Oliver Wahlstrom RW U.S National U18 Team (USHL)

This is the absolute perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect selection for the Oilers, so your welcome Oilers fans for thinking that the teams above the Oilers should take defenders rather than Wahlstrom.

10. :isles selects Ty Smith D Spokane Chiefs (WHL)

The Isles take the offensive defender (So many in this draft my goodness) with the 10th selection, the Isles defense also might take a huge blow if they lose de Haan, so adding Smith would be a great choice for the Isles.

11. :canes selects Joe Veleno C Drummondville Voltigeurs (QMJHL)

TRADE ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Philadelphia Flyers trades the 14th Overall Pick, PHI 2019 2nd Round selection, and ARZ's 2018 5th Round Selection to the New York Islanders for the 12th Overall Pick.

12. (CGY) (NYI) :flyers selects Joel Farabee LW U.S National U18 Team (USHL)

13. :stars selects Jesper Kotaniemi C Assat (Liiga)

14. (STL) (PHI) :isles selects Barrett Hayton C Ste. Sault Marie Greyhounds (OHL)

15. :panthersselects Bode Wilde D U.S National U18 Team (USHL)

16. :avs selects Dominik Bokk LW Vaxjo Lakers (SHL)

17. :devils selects Jared McIsaac D Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)

18. :cbj selects Isac Lundestrom C Lulea HF (SHL)

19. :flyers selects Vitali Kravtsov RW Traktor Chelyabinsk (KHL)

20. :kings selects Grigori Denisenko LW Loko Yaroslavl (MHL)

21. (PIT) :sens selects Akil Thomas C Niagara Icedogs (OHL)

22. :ducks selects Jett Woo D Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL)

23. :wild selects Serron Noel RW Oshawa Generals (OHL)

24. :leafsselects Rasmus Kupari C Karpat (Liiga)

25. :caps selects Mattias Samuelsson D U.S National U18 Team (USHL)

26. (VGK) :wings selects Nils Lundkvist D Lulea HF (SHL)

27. (NSH) :hawks selects Rasmus Sandin D Ste. Sault Marie Greyhounds (OHL)

28. (WPG) :blues selects Jacob Olofsson C Timra IK (Allsvenskan)

29. (TBL) :rangers selects Alexander Khovanov C Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL)

30. :sharks selects K'Andre Miller D U.S National U18 Team (USHL)

31. (BOS) :rangers selects Ryan Merkley D Guelph Storm (OHL)

Also if you have the problem with the trade, I would keep the players at the same position (Farabee to NYI, and Hayton to PHI)

Reactions: hi and flyersdad

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I figured to do an updated version of my April Mock Draft since I missed McIsaac in my last one, and since I now have the real Lottery teams available, also I can throw in my playoffs predictions in it too. So here's a new updated version of my April Mock Draft. (I ran a lottery)

1. :coyotes selects Rasmus Dahlin D Frolunda HC (SHL)

Arizona gets to move up to the 1st, and they get the easy choice to take Dahlin.

2. :rangers selects Andrei Svechnikov RW Barrie Colts (OHL)

Rangers get to move up 6 spots and are able to get themselves Svechnikov. Probably the best scenario for the Rangers if they can't get Dahlin, to get either Svechnikov or Zadina, they don't really have any top tier wingers.

3. :sabres selects Adam Boqvist D Brynas IF (SHL)

Sabres go with the defender rather than Zadina, just because the Sabres have a really weak defensive prospect group (Other than Guhle who do they have?), and their winger prospect pool has guys like Nylander, Pu, Bailey, Baptiste, and Fasching to name a few. So adding Boqvist seems like the smartest move for the Sabres IMO, if they don't get Dahlin.

4. :sens selects Filip Zadina RW Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)

When you look at the Sens, there's a lot of issues positional wise, so to me they should just take the BPA, and if that's Zadina at #4 that would be amazing for them. Even though they have really good wingers in Stone, Hoffman, and Ryan (kinda). Adding another winger to the pool since they don't really have many great winger prospects incoming soon.

5. :habs selects Brady Tkachuk LW Boston Univ. (NCAA)

Okay Habs fans listen, 2019 has plenty of center prospects, so it's not my fault you decided to collapse in the wrong draft year, so as punishment you get Tkachuk. Of course I'm kidding, Tkachuk definitely improved late in the year, and looks like a Top 5 pick in my opinion. He just seems like the guy Montreal will draft if they can't get the 4 guys above, even though I'm sure fans will rather have Wahlstrom, or any of the defenders, but IMO Tkachuk seems like the player Montreal would take in this scenario.

6. :wings selects Evan Bouchard D London Knights (OHL)

Detroit get the big right-handed defense-man prospect that they desperately need and needed for a long-time. Bouchard had an amazing season, and has definitely climbed up the boards on most people's mock drafts from a late 1st Rounder into now a Top 10 pick.

7. :nucks selects Quinn Hughes D Univ. of Michigan (NCAA)

Vancouver needs defense much more than offense, so taking the offensive defender in Hughes is probably the smartest choice for them. Him or Dobson would be solid choices, but I have Hughes ranked higher in my rankings soooo yeah :)

8. :hawks selects Noah Dobson D Acadie-Bathurst Titan (QMJHL)

Yes it's tough to pass up on Wahlstrom, but Chicago defense is a dumpster fire other than Kieth. So taking Dobson would make the most sense for the Hawks, or any defender really.

9. :edmonton selects Oliver Wahlstrom RW U.S National U18 Team (USHL)

This is the absolute perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect selection for the Oilers, so your welcome Oilers fans for thinking that the teams above the Oilers should take defenders rather than Wahlstrom.

10. :isles selects Ty Smith D Spokane Chiefs (WHL)

The Isles take the offensive defender (So many in this draft my goodness) with the 10th selection, the Isles defense also might take a huge blow if they lose de Haan, so adding Smith would be a great choice for the Isles.

11. :canes selects Joe Veleno C Drummondville Voltigeurs (QMJHL)

TRADE ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Philadelphia Flyers trades the 14th Overall Pick, PHI 2019 2nd Round selection, and ARZ's 2018 5th Round Selection to the New York Islanders for the 12th Overall Pick.

12. (CGY) (NYI) :flyers selects Joel Farabee LW U.S National U18 Team (USHL)

13. :stars selects Jesper Kotaniemi C Assat (Liiga)

14. (STL) (PHI) :isles selects Barrett Hayton C Ste. Sault Marie Greyhounds (OHL)

15. :panthersselects Bode Wilde D U.S National U18 Team (USHL)

16. :avs selects Dominik Bokk LW Vaxjo Lakers (SHL)

17. :devils selects Jared McIsaac D Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)

18. :cbj selects Isac Lundestrom C Lulea HF (SHL)

19. :flyers selects Vitali Kravtsov RW Traktor Chelyabinsk (KHL)

20. :kings selects Grigori Denisenko LW Loko Yaroslavl (MHL)

21. (PIT) :sens selects Akil Thomas C Niagara Icedogs (OHL)

22. :ducks selects Jett Woo D Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL)

23. :wild selects Serron Noel RW Oshawa Generals (OHL)

24. :leafsselects Rasmus Kupari C Karpat (Liiga)

25. :caps selects Mattias Samuelsson D U.S National U18 Team (USHL)

26. (VGK) :wings selects Nils Lundkvist D Lulea HF (SHL)

27. (NSH) :hawks selects Rasmus Sandin D Ste. Sault Marie Greyhounds (OHL)

28. (WPG) :blues selects Jacob Olofsson C Timra IK (Allsvenskan)

29. (TBL) :rangers selects Alexander Khovanov C Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL)

30. :sharks selects K'Andre Miller D U.S National U18 Team (USHL)

31. (BOS) :rangers selects Ryan Merkley D Guelph Storm (OHL)

Also if you have the problem with the trade, I would keep the players at the same position (Farabee to NYI, and Hayton to PHI)

As a Coyotes Fan, I approve of this mock :)

Reactions: ViktorBaeArvidsson

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
Problem was is that I forgot to put Jared McIsaac in my draft, so I would probably replace Lundstrom with him. Though, the reason behind me giving them Lundstrom was because after they traded Henrique I figured they might want a replacement for him. Though they do have McLeod... Just pretend I gave them McIsaac :)

And that's exactly who I'd go with for the Devils. He seems like a very solid overall game, solid in the back end and can jump in the rush.

The new Devils style.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
If Hextall gives up the 14th, a 2019 2nd and 5th in 2018 to move up two spots, he deserves to be fired. That's a ridiculous price to pay to move up two spots in the first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad