Confirmed with Link: Viktor Stalberg to OTT for 2017 3rd round pick

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I like Stalberg, he is a serviceable bottom six forward but a dime a dozen. I would rather that spot go to a someone like Paul who needs to take the next step.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I like Stalberg, he is a serviceable bottom six forward but a dime a dozen. I would rather that spot go to a someone like Paul who needs to take the next step.

Paul was horrid last year. I know you said "someone like", but it's a bad example. We don't have much brewing at F either. I'd love to re-sign Viktor.

RingoCalamity

Oct 25, 2006
I thought Stalberg was decent for his role, and would be happy to have him back in the bottom six. Brought speed and size, seemed to play hard. My only "issue" would be that he is what he is - there's probably little upside there. But there's only so many guys to take that spot, so what he is, is probably fine for now.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Paul was horrid last year. I know you said "someone like", but it's a bad example. We don't have much brewing at F either. I'd love to re-sign Viktor.

He loves Paul even though Paul has done nothing to earn an NHL roster spot

I believe that Aragorn had Paul as Ottawa's #1 C last pre-season so you have to take what he says with a grain (or a truckload) of salt.

It'd be excellent to have Stalberg back. Great bottom six forward that excels at the PK and has a 40+ point season in his past. What's not to like?

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
He loves Paul even though Paul has done nothing to earn an NHL roster spot

I've been wondering if he was related to him. It seems like he's the only poster here who ever brings up Paul. I've been wondering the same thing about his relationship to Max McCormick for the same reasons.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I've seen a lot of people talk about how terrible Paul was this year, from what I understood, he just had a terrible start, and looked far, far better to finish off the year.

Here's a write up from a Bingo writer,

(72gms, 15g 22a) As I previously noted in the Q3 player reviews, look for Nick Paul to make a statement down the stretch for the B-Sens. He did just that as he is finishing up his season strong with 11 points in his last 17 games played. Highlighted by a 1 goal and 3 assists effort in Toronto on March 18th. Paul is closing in on 3rd on the B-Sens in scoring at 36 points (15 goals, 21 assists). Ottawa has something special in Paul, if he can put in a great off-season workout, watch for him to enter training camp hungry to steal a spot on Ottawa’s fourth line.

I think it's early to write the guy completely off. Having said that, I'd rather re-sign Stalberg if it can be done at a reasonable price, and make Paul have to earn the spot.

Paul must be better than Kelly was though, no?

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I wouldnt write off Paul but he clearly needs to prove himself first, you dont purposely leave a roster spot open for him and hope that he's good enough

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I wouldnt write off Paul but he clearly needs to prove himself first, you dont purposely leave a roster spot open for him and hope that he's good enough

The only roster spot that might be left open for him is that of the 13th forward. Same spot Puempel and Prince had before him. We should have a serviceable 12th forward (like Stalberg) and Paul should have to beat him out to get into the lineup.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I've been wondering if he was related to him. It seems like he's the only poster here who ever brings up Paul. I've been wondering the same thing about his relationship to Max McCormick for the same reasons.

He's had weirder fetishes for worse players. Like the time he said Jakub Culek would be better than Pageau. Or the year he wanted to draft Colten Teubert instead of Erik Karlsson. The way he kept putting Buddy Robinson and Dave Dziurzynski into his projected lineups...

He's ok in my books though. Better than that other guy who keeps saying the Sens should sign PC Labrie. Who the **** is that? Sounds like some cheese you buy at Loblaws...

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He's had weirder fetishes for worse players. Like the time he said Jakub Culek would be better than Pageau. Or the year he wanted to draft Colten Teubert instead of Erik Karlsson. The way he kept putting Buddy Robinson and Dave Dziurzynski into his projected lineups...

He's ok in my books though. Better than that other guy who keeps saying the Sens should sign PC Labrie. Who the **** is that? Sounds like some cheese you buy at Loblaws...
Everytime Paul plays in the NHL. I like his game.

trobby

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
I was so surprised/happy with Stalberg's roll. He works at both ends of the ice.
Sure he lacks finish, but his speed is something every team would want on their bottom 6. I hope they re-sign him.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I agree Stalberg is a dime a dozen player, and an aging one losing a step at that, but if we can get him at 1.5mil or under, for 1-2 years, it's better than breaking the bank on another UFA. Stalberg has shown some chemistry with our team already.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
If Dorion approached Stalberg's agent and he wants to sign here he'd be better off waiting until after the Vegas draft. The same is true of any UFA who has been presented an offer but doesn't want to risk going to Vegas.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I was so surprised/happy with Stalberg's roll. He works at both ends of the ice.
Sure he lacks finish, but his speed is something every team would want on their bottom 6. I hope they re-sign him.

Stalberg is easy to sign. The issue is at what salary cost. For $1M I would sign him. For $2M no! Paul would cost less than $1M and is therefore more affordable given some of the big contracts this team has now for players who do not deserve those high salaries.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Everytime Paul plays in the NHL. I like his game.

I thought Paul played very well in his 25 or so game stint to close out the 2016 season. But he was a young kid that I suspect figure he had a spot locked up. didn't put his work in and had a rough year last year. Apparently he got better as the year went on.

Paul played in the world Junior tourney. He was voted best faceoff man in the OHL. He's young and can skate and has size. Hopefully he figures it out because he could be tough to play against

I'd love to see him in a Sens jersey next year.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I've seen a lot of people talk about how terrible Paul was this year, from what I understood, he just had a terrible start, and looked far, far better to finish off the year.

Here's a write up from a Bingo writer,

I think it's early to write the guy completely off. Having said that, I'd rather re-sign Stalberg if it can be done at a reasonable price, and make Paul have to earn the spot.

Paul must be better than Kelly was though, no?

I'm not exactly sure what people on here are projecting Paul should be? IMO he has always been a future 4th line player to me with the potential to maybe move up a line. I liked that he was very good at faceoffs & played a very good defensive game which is exactly what you want in a bottom six player plus he has the size & reach that can't be taught. Paul was tied for 3rd in scoring in Bingo this past season behind two very good career AHL players (Varone & Akeson) & tied with Bailey who may also turn into a career minor leaguer. So as an Ottawa prospect IMO he has at the moment the most potential to fill a need in Ottawa on the bottom six. Paul can play LW or centre, is a decent skater & already plays a good defensive game, he just has to improve his offensive game but exactly how many pts do people expect from a 4th line player? I'm not saying he is any kind of saviour but IMO he could improve the bottom six & develop quicker or better in the NHL. And with his size he would make an excellent screen in front of the goalie on the PP, just saying.

Stalberg is a decent defensive forward, no slight against him, but I like to see Ottawa have one or two new young players challenge for a roster spot every yr. Players that can add some energy & improve the team somewhere. We know what Stalberg is & Ottawa can always add another similar player at the deadline, if needed. But it would also be interesting to see a guy like Paul grow into the job & become Ottawa's legitimate 4th line centre, a Paul Gaustad type of player, good at faceoffs, brings size & strength down the middle & plays an excellent defensive game. Whether Stalberg re-signs or not makes very little difference either way IMO but Paul has some potential to improve Ottawa's bottom six for a number of yrs otherwise Ottawa will be looking to replace Stalberg again next season, if not sooner. Ottawa will most likely need to replace Brassard, Burrows, Methot & Phaneuf soon enough & maybe MacArthur if he were to get hurt again.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
Paul is our only remaining asset that has potential from that terrible "I want out" spezz trade. Hopefully we get a half decent 3rd/4th liner player in him next season. Gabriel Gagne doesnt sound too promising

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad