Advice: Videoing/streaming your kid's hockey games

pseudoswede

Apr 7, 2011
Colorado
Looking for others to share their setups for recording hockey games (either for livestream or coaching purposes), and I hope we can bounce ideas off each other to improve the quality of our livestreams without breaking the bank.

pseudoswede

Apr 7, 2011
Colorado
tl;dr I'm a one-man hockey streaming operation that wants to be just slightly better than a LiveBarn feed (and free).

Backstory: My daughter is a third-year hockey player. The first two seasons were spent playing co-ed Bantam Rec hockey here in the Denver area. For the majority of her first season, which was during COVID times, I volunteered to livestream hockey games since parents often weren't allowed in the rinks. It was a very basic setup: camera, cheap tripod, laptop with OBS, microphone, a myriad of cables, and lots of duct tape. If more than one person was allowed in the rink, we had a parent who did amazing play-by-play. During her second season, I somehow got roped into becoming a bench coach, so I basically didn't stream at all. This season, she's now playing in a Colorado girl's rec hockey league, and she's playing up with the 19U team. I have started streaming games again--mainly to keep myself a bit occupied so I'm not too emotionally involved in the games, to allow parents, relatives, and friends who cannot attend games to watch, and the coaches say it's great to have video to review after games.

This is my current equipment setup:

Camera: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Laptop: Dell Inspiron 7373 running OBS and Keep the Score free basic overlay
Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab S7
Microphone: JLabs Talk Go USB Microphone
Tripod: Neewer 74" Pro Video Tripod with Fluid Head

* Neewer Quick Release Plate
* AC power adapter for DMC-FZ1000
* USB C hub with Power Delivery
* HDMI to USB3 audio/video capture adapter
* 25-foot Mini DP to HDMI cable
* 50-foot Cat6 ethernet cable
* 75-foot extension power cord
* Duct tape

When the bandwidth is sufficient, I connect OBS to the team's dedicated YouTube channel and livestream the game. If it's not, then I simply use OBS to record the game locally to my laptop. I also record even if the livestream has sufficient bandwidth. After the game, I upload the recorded version to the YouTube channel as well as upload a copy to a OneDrive folder. Parents and coaches have access to the folder so they can download game videos for whatever purpose they want. If I'm livestreaming, I will view the YouTube livestream on the tablet to check the stream quality.

This year, I upgraded to a new tripod. It's significantly heavier (thus, more stable) than my previous cheapo Best Buy tripod, and the fluid head is a game changer. I also bought a new microphone because I would sometimes forget to bring my kid's Snowball mic. Conveniently, everything except the tripod fits nicely into a 22" rolling duffle bag for easy transport.

I have so much more to add, but the day got away from me.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Wow. I don't think any of my kids ever went to the extent of livestreaming, not from the team anyway, unless it was a game being broadcast from the arena/league agreement or local cable or whatever. But on a team basis for coaching purposes it was just like an Ipad on a Tripod with the volunteer du jour trying their best to not screw things up too badly by forgetting to unpause too many times, and not swear too loudly. :)

Then that video might be uploaded to YouTube or an App, and some Apps were set up to allow markups for coaching staff usage or whatever.

Generally speaking, I always thought video analysis was underutilized. A lot of kids these days are really visual learners and showing them a video I always thought could be used a lot more than it typically was for them. And I totally understand if a volunteer coach doesn't have the time, but even some levels when we had paid coaches, I sort of wondered if it couldn't have been used a bit more. Oh well. :dunno:

Reactions: pseudoswede

pseudoswede

Apr 7, 2011
Colorado
@pseudoswede all I can say is your setup is a heck of a lot more advanced than my kid's team setup, which is just a smartphone on a tripod livestreaming to Facebook, with one of the dads running PBP.

Simple setups like that are great. I want to try to find a happy medium between that and the $20k setup a semi-professional husband/wife team I've seen around town have.

There are also pre-built solutions (like Veo, Hudl, Movensee and Pixellot), but their cameras pretty much only provide multiple wide-angle solutions with limited zoom. (And they're expensive as heck and require monthly subscriptions.)

What I'm looking to do to "up my game"...

1. My normal camera and tripod setup - follows the puck around the rink
2. Two (maybe four?) GoPro-like cameras mounted either behind the goal or on the zone dots to get specific zone action
3. The 2 or 4 cameras mentioned in #2 to livestream via private wifi network (I have a few unused wifi routers collecting dust) and are captured on my laptop with OBS
4. Ability to switch between cameras as the action dictates (which I'm sure OBS can handle easily)

First, I'm trying to find out if #3 is even possible. I would think it is, but after lots of Googling, I have yet to find a definite answer.

Second, I really don't want to drop $500-1000 on GoPro cameras. I know there are inexpensive cameras (like Wyze) that can do 1080p, can even pan and zoom, and have wifi to be able to stream to the cloud--except I want to stream locally. Any recommendations there? There are obviously security cameras that should do it (like Eufy), but those are as expensive as GoPro's.

pseudoswede

Apr 7, 2011
Colorado
Like that famous saying goes, this thread is useless without pics. Here is the typical setup I used last weekend.

photo1.jpg

I try to get as close to center ice and as high up as possible. There was one rink this weekend where there was a massive concrete pillar just left of center, so it would've blocked the view of one half of the ice. Fortunately, most rinks have decent sightlines.

photo2.jpg

This is an ideal setup. Everything is to the right of the tripod, and my laptop is sitting up a bit (on the carry-on) so I don't have to stoop too low to fiddle with OBS or YouTube Studio. I usually try to get the microphone as far away from me (and from others) as possible. Often, I will try to tape it up as high as possible on a wall or railing.

The green cord is my 75ft extension power cord. Finding a nearby power outlet can be a real challenge. It's often what I spend the most time doing when at an unfamiliar rink; sometimes going to places in the rink that the public is usually not allowed to go. I use copious amounts of duct tape if I have to cross common walkways or stairs; if I can wedge it against the wall, I will tape it down every 10 feet or so.

photo3.jpg

I got a bit creative and tossed the power cord over the sprinkler line.

Occasionally, I will find an ethernet line running somewhere (the blue cable in the picture above). Ethernet connections obviously are a lot more stable than wireless. I will trace it to the source and see if I could possibly plug in my laptop to it. One rink had a wireless router kind of hidden at the top of the bleachers at center ice; that was nice since the wireless network had capped bandwidth. At another rink, I had to plug in my power cord in a conference room. It also had an ethernet port, but I didn't have a cable long enough--hence my purchase of a 50-foot cable. It was a shame since the wi-fi was terrible (T-Mobile was non-existent), so I couldn't livestream.

photo4.jpg

Here is a better shot of my immediate command center. Obviously I track the game with the camera. The fluid head arm is so smooth, I can operate it with one finger. On the tablet below, I have the Keep the Score webpage open and you tap to add/remove goals to each team, I also use it to track the period number. If I had someone helping me, you can also add a countdown clock that the person could tap to start/stop the time. I have seen some slick implementations where you can point a camera at the scoreboard, and the software will automagically track everything displayed (goals, clock, and penalties) and overlay it on the stream. In the lower-right corner is a small window with the YouTube stream so I can see if the stream is being laggy or not.

scoreboard-control-panel-1.png

Example of a Keep the Score control panel.

Since my kid needs to be at the rink an hour prior to puck drop for dryland, it gives me plenty of time to set everything up. If a power outlet is nearby, I can slowly get everything up and running in about 30 minutes. Then I do a few speed tests of the network bandwidth. If the bandwidth is sufficient, I schedule a stream in OBS (which sends it automagically to YouTube), then I post the YouTube link to our Team Chat for parents to share with friends/family. I typically start the stream at the scheduled time (even if the game will start late), but I don't start recording a local copy until their 3-minute warm-up is over.

To be a little more transparent about my setup, I already had the laptop ($600), tablet ($150), and camera ($500). Tablet is definitely optional, and you don't need to spend a ton on a camera. The rest of my expenses were as follows...

Tripod - $120 (on sale during Amazon Prime Days; paid with Amazon Prime Visa points)
Microphone - $30 (early Black Friday sale at Best Buy)
Power strip - $15
USB-C hub - $22
HDMI video capture adapter & 25 ft cable - $33
Ethernet cable - $12
Camera power adapter (so I don't have to use a battery) - $22

The stuff above basically stays in my dedicated streaming bag. The rest of the stuff (cables, chargers, etc.) are constantly repurposed for other trips and at home.

Last edited:
Reactions: DingerMcSlapshot

pseudoswede

Apr 7, 2011
Colorado
Simple setups like that are great. I want to try to find a happy medium between that and the $20k setup a semi-professional husband/wife team I've seen around town have.
Speaking of which, he was set up right next to me last month...

pro.jpg

He was rink-side setting up the GoPro's behind each rink, which he then cuts into produced video he sends to his customers. I guess what's strange is that this was for a high school hockey game that wasn't happening for four hours.

No way do I want to get to the point where I need a dolly to lug all of my gear. A carry-on size bag and a tripod bag is my limit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad