[VIDEO] Seth Jarvis: Eight-Minute Insights - A two-way winger with bottom-six NHL likelihood?

CambieKev

Scout. Future Considerations, Dobber Prospects.
Aug 26, 2019

Hi everyone. I've read your feedback and I appreciate all of the comments from our previous discussions.

Today we look at Seth Jarvis, the Portland Winterhawks winger who has suddenly surged in the second half of this year's draft discussions. He is a consensus first-round draft prospect with many scouting services ranking him in their top 31, some as high as the 10 to 20 range. He had an average start this season with just 28 points in his first 25 games, but then exploded offensively with 70 points in the subsequent 33 games.

He reads plays very, very well. One can always find him trying to break up the opposition's attack by putting himself in their path and tying up their stick. He plays a quick two-way game, but does so with a sense of speed and inside body positioning rather than aggression and physicality.

I think he has a high floor due to his ability to anticipate plays and pressure his opponent. I don't think he should be considered a bona fide top-six talent, however, as he does not seem to possess the offensive vision to thwart his defenders from a standstill or drive his line's attack to a sufficient extent in the offensive zone. I don't see a lot of playmaking ability either. He thrives in transition, moving up the ice quickly after supporting his team defensively.

One should be a little wary of a player who generates his offensive chances mostly off the rush. Those types of players generally have a tougher time translating offensively in the NHL. However, Jarvis' intelligence away from the puck presents good odds that he can be an effective bottom-six winger in the NHL at least. I think he is a fairly safe option.

Enjoy the video!

Last edited:
Reactions: AndreiThreeK

CambieKev

Scout. Future Considerations, Dobber Prospects.
Aug 26, 2019
Whether he reaches it is one thing, but I definitely think Jarvis has top-6 potential
Thanks for the comment.

If he develops and depending on circumstances for his team, I think he could possibly become a second-line player in the NHL, but I think his strongest attributes are most suited to a third-line checking role. I think he has the skill and intelligence to play at the NHL level, but I feel as though there are a few offensive limitations. His defensive game is mature, so his floor seems high to me. Despite some quick stick-handling, I don't see him driving his line's in-zone attack enough to warrant considering him a guaranteed top-six player.

He has sufficient hockey IQ to improve his offensive game. I think a mid-first pick would be appropriate because of the reliable defensive game along with the potential to develop into something more.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad