[VIDEO] Marco Rossi: Eight-Minute Insights - Look at how the 5'9'' centerman competes in the crease.

CambieKev

Scout. Future Considerations, Dobber Prospects.
Aug 26, 2019

We have a brand new edition of Eight-Minute Insights today, featuring another consensus top-ten prospect in the 2020 NHL Draft class: the feisty, 5'9'' centerman Marco Rossi.

Our presentation today features his performance against the London Knights on February 17, 2020.

Despite his relatively short stature, Rossi is a battler, fighting for space in the crease and in high-traffic areas. He is strong for his size, weighing 180 lbs. He combines this with a well-rounded offensive skill set, and he tries his best to contribute at both ends of the ice, although at times his play in his own zone can be scrambly and unsound. He tries often to support his defencemen down low by staying with his designated assignment deep in his own zone, but can sometimes be outmatched physically. Despite this, he anticipates fairly well, and also makes himself available to provide outlet passes to his wingers.

As with Cole Perfetti, some scouts rank him in their top-five, while others feel that he should be drafted somewhere in the fifth-to-tenth-overall range.

This season he scored 39 goals and 120 points in 56 games with the Ottawa 67's.

Enjoy the video!

Last edited:
Reactions: AttilaTheFun

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Again, not sure what the point is of showing shifts of one random game in the middle of the season without any context to it. Was this a good game? A bad game? An average game? Why did you pick this game? Very weird just to pick a game and post the shifts without any specific analysis other than a couple of general sentences.

He is a terrific play maker and scorer, the best face-off man in the draft and will definitely be drafted in the top 10. He is short but thickly built so I see the Crosby comparison from that perspective.

Reactions: Crosside

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Again, not sure what the point is of showing shifts of one random game in the middle of the season without any context to it. Was this a good game? A bad game? An average game? Why did you pick this game? Very weird just to pick a game and post the shifts without any specific analysis other than a couple of general sentences.

He is a terrific play maker and scorer, the best face-off man in the draft and will definitely be drafted in the top 10. He is short but thickly built so I see the Crosby comparison from that perspective.

uhhh its to showcase the type of game rossi plays. you have to form your own analyses. great video upload.

Reactions: AttilaTheFun

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Always nice to have more video, but with out context it means nothing. It';s just a random game in the middle of the year.

Why choose this particular game? To fit a narrative?

What if it was a game where Rossi was hurt, or was feeling sick? Or the 67's played 3 in 3. or the other team played the two previous nights and are exhausted?

Just saying that, while more video is always appreciated context is important.

CambieKev

Scout. Future Considerations, Dobber Prospects.
Aug 26, 2019

Always nice to have more video, but with out context it means nothing. It';s just a random game in the middle of the year.

Why choose this particular game? To fit a narrative?

What if it was a game where Rossi was hurt, or was feeling sick? Or the 67's played 3 in 3. or the other team played the two previous nights and are exhausted?

Just saying that, while more video is always appreciated context is important.
I posted this in the other thread, but in the interest of not having both threads derailed, I'll post this response here too. You don't have to answer here, as we are already engaged in a discussion in the Perfetti thread.

One uses information about a player's shift-to-shift performances in order to understand their tendencies and the nuances of their game. This is key information with regards to one's evaluation of a player.

Contrary to your opinion, it is impossible to understand the effectiveness of a prospect by simply looking at their best plays. In fact, there is no context for a highlight reel of goals and assist -- 100% of the plays being shown were effective.

Shift footage, in fact, contextualizes their offensive production and demonstrates the other elements of their game. Does the player hustle to fight for pucks in the corners? Do they drive possession? Do they contribute defensively, and in what manner do they position themselves to support their team? What are the player's strengths and deficiencies with regards to skating and puck skills? Does the player anticipate well, and is he proactive or reactive? What type of offense does the player provide? Does the player prefer to play in certain areas of the ice as opposed to others?

If you'd like an example of what a shift analysis can offer, read my Tyler Toffoli article for example. He is a pending UFA, so it is in the interest of teams to understand the type of player he is before they pursue him. Toffoli scores goals, but how familiar as you with his two-way game?

Tyler Toffoli: Analyzing His Style Of Play (and Why Teams Will Covet Him On July 1st) - A Visual Scouting Report by CambieKev

You'll grasp much more than the simple idea that Marco Rossi scores points in a junior environment by watching his games. That is one of the foundations of scouting. One can not study a prospect's hockey IQ and gauge their ability to adapt to higher leagues through highlight packages.

These are the types of questions that one must answer, and they can be answered by watching footage of the player's performances. A mere highlight reel will tell you nothing about a prospect's overall game or their on-ice intelligence. More important than their raw production totals is their ability to translate that game to a higher level. One can only do that by looking at their shift-by-shift performances with a higher sense of scrutiny.

Of course, the more footage you look at -- the more games you watch --, the better. Consume as much information as possible when determining a player's characteristics and potential contributions at the next level.

Rossi's effort level can not be questioned. That is for certain. He competes for every inch of space on the ice.

I could provide footage of five, six or seven games, but this is a guide for those who are not familiar with these players. I'm sure that many HF readers are interested in discovering what this year's draft candidates are all about.

Additional performance evaluations would certainly help to reinforce those opinions, but in the interest of breadth at the moment, I'll be looking at other players instead of cutting more footage of one individual. If you are compiling a list or developing reports about these players, I encourage you to watch more footage.

This concise presentation is intended to introduce the prospect to those who might otherwise only have a vague notion of their overall game.

For the record, I generally lean towards looking at games where their shot totals are higher, as those are the performances where they are most effective at generating scoring opportunities.

It's an opportunity to see these players for yourselves and identify their strengths, deficiencies, and the elements that comprise their game.

I don't intend for this video to replace all of the scouting that we do, but I'd like viewers to have a look at how these players play and not only be familiar with their highlights.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad