OT: Video Games V

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think I've played too many open world and questy games in a row. Not able to really dig into HZD. Need to drop back to FIFA or something for a while.

Reactions: tenken00

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think I've played too many open world and questy games in a row. Not able to really dig into HZD. Need to drop back to FIFA or something for a while.
This was me with Ghost of Tsushima. Loved the game but had just put a ton of hours into AC Odyssey and couldn't stay with it. I stayed away from that genre for a while and got into HZD -- I'm about 45% of the way through it and I'm hooked.

Part of the allure for me though is the story. Maybe I'm being a bit too meta here but I am always contemplating how fine the line is between prosperity and disaster, success and failure, etc and I find post-apocalyptic stuff fascinating because I'm always wondering how it happened and how we f***ed up, and this game is exactly that -- chasing down why the human race seemingly went extinct (or close to it).

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Didn't read the spoiler. Actually took a work break and went downstairs intending to fire up FIFA and struggle through whatever version download was inevitably waiting for me, but flat out laziness kicked in since HZD was already paused and I just played that some more. lol

Figuring out how the combat is supposed to work with these machines/techniques might open me up to it more. I'm still at the beginning.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

This was me with Ghost of Tsushima. Loved the game but had just put a ton of hours into AC Odyssey and couldn't stay with it. I stayed away from that genre for a while and got into HZD -- I'm about 45% of the way through it and I'm hooked.

Part of the allure for me though is the story. Maybe I'm being a bit too meta here but I am always contemplating how fine the line is between prosperity and disaster, success and failure, etc and I find post-apocalyptic stuff fascinating because I'm always wondering how it happened and how we f***ed up, and this game is exactly that -- chasing down why the human race seemingly went extinct (or close to it).

The problem with a lot of these open world games with quests and even more side quests is that they are just way too damn long nowadays. Especially AC Odyssey which could be a 100+ hour long playthrough, which is crazy for an action/adventure game.

It's always good to switch it up. Otherwise you'll get burned out way too easily.

Sports/strategy/shooters/RPG/rhythm or anything else that helps you to unwind. Conquering/destroying the world in a strategy game usually puts me at ease haha.

Or just take a break from gaming period for a bit.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The problem with a lot of these open world games with quests and even more side quests is that they are just way too damn long nowadays. Especially AC Odyssey which could be a 100+ hour long playthrough, which is crazy for an action/adventure game.

It's always good to switch it up. Otherwise you'll get burned out way too easily.

Sports/strategy/shooters/RPG/rhythm or anything else that helps you to unwind. Conquering/destroying the world in a strategy game usually puts me at ease haha.

Or just take a break from gaming period for a bit.

I don't game enough, tbh. It's my break from Real Life Bullshit so when it becomes WORK or overly tedious, that defeats the purpose.

I'm just whining.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
And our other escapism from Real Life Bullshit, the Caps, just adds on to the stress..

Lol yeah the last few days has been just trying to "escape" from the embarassment and hopelesness of being a Caps fan.

Now, back to video games, have any you have played "Far Cry: New Dawn"? I can get it for $16 on Amazon, wonder if its worth a flutter.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010

Don't give up on HZD, that one will pay dividends at some point. It becomes a blast later on when Aloy gets godlike skills and gear.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
PS State of Play gameplay reveal for Horizon Forbidden West was awesome.

It should go without saying: don't watch this if you don't want the original game to be spoiled.

It looks awesome. Now I just need to snag a PS5 somehow...

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It should go without saying: don't watch this if you don't want the original game to be spoiled.

It looks awesome. Now I just need to snag a PS5 somehow...
Were there spoilers? I thought it was just gameplay and a vague description of what the story lines will be in the sequel but I could be totally wrong.

Maybe I was too captivated by how awesome it was to notice. Could also be because I had a few drinks last night and was a little foggy when I watched it or because I'm in the middle of HZD, or a combination of all of the above.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Were there spoilers? I thought it was just gameplay and a vague description of what the story lines will be in the sequel but I could be totally wrong.

Maybe I was too captivated by how awesome it was to notice. Could also be because I had a few drinks last night and was a little foggy when I watched it or because I'm in the middle of HZD, or a combination of all of the above.

It doesn't spoil much of the storyline but
it does spoil the original setting being in the United States, post "apocalypse"

I don't really remember if it's a big reveal in the original game but I'd probably just avoid most of the video just in case.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
HZD:FW is the event of the year for me. Anticipation for that one may cause me to lose sleep.

(BTW it is being released for the PS4 too, as is my understanding. So if you can't snag a PS5 before then, don't worry about it).

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It doesn't spoil much of the storyline but
it does spoil the original setting being in the United States, post "apocalypse"

I don't really remember if it's a big reveal in the original game but I'd probably just avoid most of the video just in case.
Yeah, fair. I didn't think there was anything in there that you wouldn't get in a full-length trailer but it does spoil the setting to a degree... but really can you watch anything without having mild spoilers?

Anyway, the game looks terrific! I have not been as captivated by a storyline in a game in a long time, or maybe ever, as I am with HZD. As an aside, releasing the originals for free (or for very reduced pricing) is a great way to garner interest in a series. I had no idea what The Division was until it was out for free the week before TDII released and I was hooked. I got into Assassin's Creed Odyssey in a similar fashion and I would have never thought to try Horizon if @tenken00 hadn't mentioned it and if it wasn't released for free.

Reactions: twabby and tenken00

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
I need to get into HZD - I bought it shortly after my PC arrived and put little time into it then life has gotten in the way of me playing it much. It did seem awesome what I've played so far.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I'm a little skeptical of the sequel, only because the pulpy sci fi story of the original was so entertaining. I don't see how the story of a sequel can be as good, based on what happened in the first.

I'm sure I'll play it eventually, but I'm holding off on a PS5 until the mid-generation redesign anyway.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Gameplay footage looked spectacular. Looks like she gets a boatload of new skills, and this at the early stages of the game.

I do hope you'll have the ability to toggle her voice-over narrative. Found it mildly distracting. I'm sure you'll be able to.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
RDR2 finished (the main story)
Yeah, I kinda liked it but nothing "wow" about it.

Today I'll buy NHL21. My last was NHL15

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I had to give up on NHL 21 because the speed burst is mapped to L3 on the Xbox, and I couldn't figure out how to change it.

You need to hammer the speed burst pretty often, and it was hurting my hand. It got to the point that it was affecting my IRL hockey game.

Yes, I realize this makes me sound super old.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I had to give up on NHL 21 because the speed burst is mapped to L3 on the Xbox, and I couldn't figure out how to change it.

You need to hammer the speed burst pretty often, and it was hurting my hand. It got to the point that it was affecting my IRL hockey game.

Yes, I realize this makes me sound super old.
I really miss that "push puck" speed boost they had a while ago where you'd tap RB and push the puck out ahead of you to skate faster. It was pretty accurate and worked really well, looked good too.

Reactions: Devil Dancer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad