Player Discussion Victor Olofsson (2014, 181st) - Part II (Heading to UFA, Playing at the WCs)

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
giphy.gif

Reactions: rams and slip

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Kind of an arc to Vic that's a bit nostalgic - I remember watching him on Saturday mornings with my son on SHL streams and thinking "yeah, this kid can shoot", then him making it to the team and contributing even though he as an overage draftee who they only found because of keeping tabs on his teammate Possler. They lucked into a contributing player, even if he wasn't great in his time in Buffalo.

I hold no ill-will. He was part of hockey for me in a very strange time in my life.

Reactions: NotABadPeriod

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Adios Vic.

Hope you find a place to land. It was just not to be without Eichel around to both transition the puck and set you up.

Still not positive half of his issues weren't from the coaching staff. He was arguably the teams best forward over the last quarter of the season in the spring of 2022.

Feels like he was told to dish the puck off when you get possession and go to a shooting lane. Seems like something this coaching staff wanted their shooters to do, it was, after all, the coaching staff's primary objective for the team on the power play.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Still not positive half of his issues weren't from the coaching staff. He was arguably the teams best forward over the last quarter of the season in the spring of 2022.

Feels like he was told to dish the puck off when you get possession and go to a shooting lane. Seems like something this coaching staff wanted their shooters to do, it was, after all, the coaching staff's primary objective for the team on the power play.

When he had the issue with his wrist and couldn't shoot accurately, he did some good work mining pucks and setting up plays. He got into dirtier areas. That faded. I would think a team that needs some goals and could use a shooter could see some ROI with him. Mostly Chicago honestly as the opposite wall shooter for Bedard who can make the plays that Eichel used to but Thompson can not.

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
VO was a good soldier and carried the offense during some dark stretches. Shame he could never put everything together but all things considered he was a very successful draft pick. I wish him well in his next stop.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
It's possible he could land on another NHL roster that lacks a dangerous shot for the power play. We have Tage, Peterka and Quinn all with great shots, so he became somewhat redundant here.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's possible he could land on another NHL roster that lacks a dangerous shot for the power play. We have Tage, Peterka and Quinn all with great shots, so he became somewhat redundant here.

I keep looking at the Hawks roster and thinking he could at least get mid-teens goals in the middle of their lineup if he's on PP1 as the opposite flank shooter.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
The guy had a really good run 2 years ago when he played in front of the net because of his injured wrist. I hoped that changed his game for good but it did not. Granato not using him on the power play may have been an accountability thing but at some point you have to play him where he’s most useful if he’s forced into the lineup

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The guy had a really good run 2 years ago when he played in front of the net because of his injured wrist. I hoped that changed his game for good but it did not. Granato not using him on the power play may have been an accountability thing but at some point you have to play him where he’s most useful if he’s forced into the lineup

When he was on the PP, it didn't work. He was on the ice for 4 PP goals this year (and 1 shorty against) with him scoring 1 and getting 2 assists. He didn't produce in those minutes so they went to others (Quinn) who did the same amount of production in a fraction of the time (70 minutes vs. 50 minutes).

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
A tanking team will love him. Help get them to the cap floor AND not help them win.
I don't think he's getting a contract more than 2-2.5M. Not really going to help a team get to the cap unless they are just throwing money away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad