Rumor: Victor Oloffsson expects a trade out of Buffalo

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny

Highlights
-Camp Oloffsson expect to be waiting for a while
-Kevin Adams "very active on multiple fronts,"
-Sabres 1st overall) is in play pick (13th overall). Adams is trying to figure out the price of moving up or down (ok maybe that's not that big a piece of news)

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I'm not sure why Buffalo would want to trade a 20+ goal scorer but if they do, he'd be a great Kerfoot replacement
because he is abysmal in every other facet of the game in our system. When he’s not on his yearly 25-30 game tear (where he still is awful in every portion of the game that we need success in but he’s scoring so it’s fine-ish) he is the worst player on the ice.

Whether he’s not willing to do the little things or can’t do the little things, he’s an anchor on every line he’s on.

Luxury piece for a team that is much better than ours or meant for a rebuilding team that young guys can pass to on the PP

Last edited:

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Olofsson has no problem scoring the goals but has no interest in backchecking or even skating into his own end to help defend.

Olofsson defensive acumen is nonexistent, no effort on defense.
This is just not true at all.

Olofsson works hard, and he is always trying, he just is completely lost in Granatos loose system that requires the forwards to read the ice and their linemates and react accordingly. No one has a set job, and the players are either responsible for center defensive duties or f1 forecheching duties depending on where on the ice they are in regards to the puck.

Olofsson struggles with the reads and finding chemistry with his linemates. He is always skating and back checking, but often misses his assignments, double teaming the puck or not effectively switching assignments when the situation calls for it.

He is not physical at all, so he does not win a lot of puck battles, but he has a quick stick and can strip the puck from puck carriers.

He will give you a solid effort, but he needs structure and a clear job to do on the ice. He is poor at improvising and adjusting on the fly.

He will score 20 goals with his eyes closed though, one of the best shooters in the league. Picks his spots, rings a lot of posts or just misses wide, but rarely hits the goalie with any of his shots.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Everyone line up for a one dimensional scorer who doesn't play defence. We had one twice recently in AA and Mantha and we're glad to be rid of them.

Good luck.

giphy.gif

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Judging by a majority of the early on comments, some will be surprised what Olofsson nets in return. As Irie layer out what your getting in his post above, Olofsson is a pure sniper. His nickname is Goalofsson specifically because of his shot targeting acumen. Teams will covet that to be sure.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Judging by a majority of the early on comments, some will be surprised what Olofsson nets in return. As Irie layer out what your getting in his post above, Olofsson is a pure sniper. His nickname is Goalofsson specifically because of his shot targeting acumen. Teams will covet that to be sure.

A mid level pick at most. I’ll be surprised if it’s much more than that.

(He’s not netting a 1st, if that’s what you’re implying)

Reactions: Linds

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
A team with a terrible power play should trade for him and just use him in a limited, sheltered role at even strength.

Problem is most truly terrible power plays are on teams not trying to compete. And the Islanders.

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
3rd round pick would be a bit of a surprise compared to the 4th round i expect him to get, so you're right there.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I'm not sure why Buffalo would want to trade a 20+ goal scorer but if they do, he'd be a great Kerfoot replacement

he’s a UFA after the season so they don’t want that distraction in the locker room

if you look at a potential line up

Skinner-Thompson-Quinn
Peterka-Mittlestadt/Cozens-Tuch
Greenway-Krebs-Cozens/Mittlestadt
Olofsson-Savoie ( nhl or CHL )-xxx
Okposo , sign a bottom six center/Girgensons

they have a bunch of players in the AHL who could get a spot

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
A mid level pick at most. I’ll be surprised if it’s much more than that.

(He’s not netting a 1st, if that’s what you’re implying)
Now vs deadline?

deadline at 50% he gets a 2nd

what I think occurs is a larger trade like

Olofsson at 50% + another player with retention + picks/ prospects for 2 players at full salary + picks prospects. The other team nets $4M+ in cap space for 23/24

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Everyone line up for a one dimensional scorer who doesn't play defence. We had one twice recently in AA and Mantha and we're glad to be rid of them.

giphy.gif

Athanasiou, Mantha, Olofsson, an Gurianov. The offensive talent is there. It's a wonder they can't learn simpler aspects of the game.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
Olofsson is in his contract year. He needs a good year to stay in the NHL and continue to get paid. As a Sabre fan I was hoping he would be moved, but I’m ok with him coming back if the market is soft. He can play with Cozens and Mittelstadt and on PP2 and maybe score 30. If he flounders, then he can sit as the Sabres have internal options to replace him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad