Player Discussion Victor Mete (D) - Claimed off waivers from Montreal

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Very happy with this - honestly, might be an unpopular opinion, I would have tried to get more term. I think Mete is going to have a strong season with us.
There's certainly an interesting debate but think of it from a vaguer sense - does it make sense to give a multiyear contract to a waiver pickup after a 14 game showing with a new team?

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Congrats on the re-signing. Nice to see something get done.

I always think there's good Bloodsport meme here somewhere.

a19.jpg

493521-van-damme

Reactions: TheDebater

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I like Mete, his speed is an asset, he's always in movement and is responsible defensively. His zone exists are pretty good in general

He's 23, cheap and competent, nothing wrong with having him on board

Dorion did something. So now people can stop complaining at the lack of moves, right?

Yes, but most importantly, this confirms that Eugene Melnyk, current owner, governor and chairman of the National Hockey League (NHL)'s Ottawa Senators and AHL's Belleville Senators, was not joking when he said he would spend for the Fkyous! So pumped right now :sarcasm:

MrInvidious

Sep 25, 2020
Toronto, ON / Ottawa, ON
There's certainly an interesting debate but think of it from a vaguer sense - does it make sense to give a multiyear contract to a waiver pickup after a 14 game showing with a new team?

Oh, I completely get it. Especially with the young D we have coming in like Sanderson, 1-year makes sense from a risk aversion standpoint. I just personally like Mete's game and potential upside enough where I'd be more willing to bet on him succeeding than not and allow us to not worry about another extension if he does have a very strong season.

Either way, happy we got him signed. I'm a believer.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009

900k per season.

Thats a cheap deal for Stanley. See no reason why Mete wouldn't be around that number.

Would've taken this deal for him instead for a lower AAV and if he does well enough we can trade him or keep him another year to insulate the kids. If he does poor, bury him.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Perfect signing.

If he has an amazing year, it will be easier to extend him on a longer term contract or his trade value will increase and allow us to move him for some assets if need be.

This could end up being the biggest bargain signing of the year.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Very happy he's back. With the way injuries pile up and COVID not yet behind us I think it's very smart to have depth like this. Guy can step into bigger minutes if called upon.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad