Player Discussion Victor Antipin - Sports.Business-gazetta speculates he is going back to KHL

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
He's one of a top KHL defensemen, I doubt he's gonna play in the AHL. He will probably have the KHL clause like Panarin, Zaitsev, Tryamkin.

You did see the part where I said worst case, right?

I hope he makes the Sabres and kicks ass!!

I would love it :wave:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
That's some nice news, especially considering Murray's reputation for being down on Russian players.

Here's Antipin's first KHL goal in 2012, on the PP, where he doesn't play the point, he's used at the net front on Mettalurg's PP. He wears number 9. Malkin congratulates him.

Tip in on the PP

Blocking a sure goal

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
If we enter next season with McCabe, Antipin, Guhle, Gorges, and Falk as the top five LHD in the organization, I quit. I hope that Murray is envisioning acquiring another top-4 LHD prior to next season. Followed by Murray throwing Gorges into the river.

I wouldn't bet on him going for another LHD after this. Maybe a RHD to compete with Bogo for the second pairing.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
If we enter next season with McCabe, Antipin, Guhle, Gorges, and Falk as the top five LHD in the organization, I quit. I hope that Murray is envisioning acquiring another top-4 LHD prior to next season. Followed by Murray throwing Gorges into the river.
Kulikov will prob be back for cheap

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Kulikov will prob be back for cheap

He won't be. Would you want to come back after the nightmare season Kulikov's had here?

Paul Hamilton just reported Kulikov is miserable here, doesn't mix with teammates - it's hard to make friends on a hockey team when you're injuried and away from the team.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Murray hates all Russian players
Murray has overpaid for every acquisition not drafted by the club

Ok you whiners can shut up now.

Worst case he's a solid guy for Rochester.

Best case he makes the team out of camp next year and sticks and does well :dunno:

Affords some prospects to develop more before an NHL push.
LOL
So Murray is in on a UFA. Big deal.
Murray made this defensive mess, and one Russian UFA isn't going to solve it.
And Murray DOES overpay. The results of his overpayed assets are pathetic to date.
If he does come to the Organization, he won't see Rochester, your only lying to yourself to think so.
While I agree on prospect development time, defensemen wise who are we talking about here? Guhle? Because quite honestly there isn't a whole lot of promise in the pipeline outside if him.

So I think it's safe to say fans have valid reasons to voice their discontent with the defensive situation of this club. Telling them(us) to "shut up now" is ludicrous.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
is he playing this season? does he need to be protected?

It's pretty much a guarantee that any contract would start next season. Since he's played in Russia this season, he'd have to pass through waivers if signed to an NHL contract for this season. I don't think he'd be able to join Rochester for the end of the season on a PTO either, and if signed to an AHL SPC would also have to pass through waivers. So, most likely, the earliest time we might see him stateside would be development camp.

He would not need to be protected in the expansion draft.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
What sort of contract would he be getting? How many years if any past this one? Is it an ELC? How long do we get his rights?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
It's pretty much a guarantee that any contract would start next season. Since he's played in Russia this season, he'd have to pass through waivers if signed to an NHL contract for this season. I don't think he'd be able to join Rochester for the end of the season on a PTO either, and if signed to an AHL SPC would also have to pass through waivers. So, most likely, the earliest time we might see him stateside would be development camp.

He would not need to be protected in the expansion draft.

Why not? I thought the qualifier was "pro seasons played?" Why would he not need protected but Ulmark would?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Why not? I thought the qualifier was "pro seasons played?" Why would he not need protected but Ulmark would?

If the NHL counted KHL years a guy with 8 years experience wouldn't have been rookie of the year last year

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
What sort of contract would he be getting? How many years if any past this one? Is it an ELC? How long do we get his rights?
One year ELC. He'd by eligible to be a UFA in 2020.

Ullmark has a season in Europe count because he was signed to an NHL contract at the time. Seasons when a player wasn't signed to an NHL contract are irrelevant for expansion draft purposes.

Plus, as Zman points out, Antipin would not actually be under contract until July 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad