VI. Texas Stars (AHL) Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Glennie has looked good. Great speed and effort. He's showing good awareness both offensively and defensively. Trusted on both power plays and penalty kills. I can see him being the next call up if they need a forward.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Welp, officiating in this game has been horrible. Glennie got ridden along the boards with an elbow smashing his head into the boards then down. No penalty. Glennie came up not looking good.

That boy just can't catch a break.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Yeah it got close in the third. I'd do a small recap but stuck on my phone that's about to die for a little bit longer.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Sean Shapiro ‏@seanshapiro

Scott Glennie is expected to be out for a while, at least till Christmas with shoulder injury tonight. #txStars #AHL

Damn and he was just starting to look better.

English stars fan

Jun 15, 2011
UK
Poor Glennie. Just as he was getting it together.

On another note, how's Campbell looked? His stats are incredible (0.947%, 1.40 GAA, 5-0-0 record) but I'm aware that stats don't tell the whole picture.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Ok....late night last night. Here we go.

First, the team overall. They still had pretty good speed but they had large issues with entering the zone and staying in the zone. A good number of turnovers especially just as they got across the blueline and attempting to make plays. I think with the loss of Gaunce and Fortunus they're a little less steady on the back end and relied more on their speed. The goals mainly came off rushes. I can only think of 3 or 4 instances they actually maintained play in the zone.

Glennie played well but he got destroyed along the boards. It was a ****** play that should have been called but the ref was Koharsky and the linemen were just plain horrible. I heard that it may actually end up being a month or two. It looked really nasty and he wasn't moving his shoulder at all afterwards.

Campbell is looking great. His numbers definitely back up his play. He's very active and really uses his athleticism. But that is a double edge sword, the first goal happened when SA crashed the net and it was a mess and Jack got caught slightly out of position and his defense wasn't there to help. The second was the SA guy outskating the defender just enough to get a shot off that goes just past Jack's glove. Other than that he had some great saves but with his play style I'm sure he'll come down after a bit once he shows some fatigue.

Oleksiak played.....off. He's not broken but he's definitely playing scared, similar to when he was sent back down last season. Hopefully he'll get past the mental barrier.

Jokipakka was once again steady, seems to be getting his feet back under him when he skates with the puck. His acceleration has gotten better.

The oft forgotten trade piece Button had a pretty decent night too though I'm trying to remember if it was him or the new guy who got beat on the second goal. Don't remember exactly now but believe it was him.

In other injury news, Nemeth is still out and looks like he'll be out for "awhile." Which is unfortunate because now would be the time for him to really step up. I really hope it's not concussion issues again.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Hehehe, Bachman in net.

Damn, Nihlstorp too. *Sigh*

Surprisingly they playing the new guy over Vause.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Dammit. Jokipakka took an elbow to the head and went to the locker room. Hopefully it's just stitches or something and not a concussion.

Edit: Joki is back for the second!

Last edited:

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Bachman stoned Texas getting the shutout. Nihlstorp's two goals came off hard rebounds right to OKC players.

Think we're starting to see the affects of callups and injuries.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Second game on a back to back. Almost missed it because of Path of Exile <.<

Jokipakka scratched. I'm worried he may have a concussion from the elbow to the head last night. Strangely enough Nihlstorp in net again, maybe Campbell got the flu or something.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Wow...I didn't notice until 100degreeHockey mentioned it.

Petersen is playing defense.

Stars are playing much much better. Defense is still an issue but the forwards are working hard to make up for it.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Wow...I didn't notice until 100degreeHockey mentioned it.

Petersen is playing defense.

Stars are playing much much better. Defense is still an issue but the forwards are working hard to make up for it.

That's interesting, but not I seem to remember him being fairly defensively responsible when he was an NHL player... Maybe my memory is clouded though...

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
That's interesting, but not I seem to remember him being fairly defensively responsible when he was an NHL player... Maybe my memory is clouded though...

He's a two-way player so not totally out of the question. He's probably just getting cycled in on occasion and not a real "pairing".

Start of third and it's 5-2 Texas. Bachman pulled out but it's nothis fault, OKC not playing that well in front of him.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Texas must have felt bad about last night, won 7-2. OKC played pretty badly while Texas played like they were before last night despite being down a defender.

Hopefully the Christmas break will get some guys back to healthy.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Blue,

What can you tell us about MacKenzie? Dude is just tearing up the AHL. Are they garbage goals and 2nd assists, riding Morin's coattails? What's he doing that's so effective and do you think it could transition to the NHL level? All I've ever heard about him is 4th line energy/banger. Peters couldn't score in a harem but MacKenzie can't seem to stop so there's something vastly different between the two. Please explain whatever you can.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Blue,

What can you tell us about MacKenzie? Dude is just tearing up the AHL. Are they garbage goals and 2nd assists, riding Morin's coattails? What's he doing that's so effective and do you think it could transition to the NHL level? All I've ever heard about him is 4th line energy/banger. Peters couldn't score in a harem but MacKenzie can't seem to stop so there's something vastly different between the two. Please explain whatever you can.

McKenzie may be getting inflated numbers because of Sceviour and Morin but that doesn't mean he's useless.

He's the physical presence of the line, fighting in corners and fighting for space in front of the net. He's not going to find those empty spaces that Sceviour or Morin or most skilled players do but he's not afraid to muscle his way in. His line benefits from this because McKenzie is a terrific screener. He also has terrific speed

Skill wise he has ok hands, can make decent passes and on occasion gets those snipes but nearly all of his goals are garbage goals (this is not a bad thing in my opinion).

Everyone is agreement that this will translate great to the NHL. Think of him as a less agitating Ott with his crease and corner play and hands.

He loves using his body and while that is great, it does leave him in Fistric type situations where he'll take out a guy but the puck will float away. This also means that his defensive play leaves a little to be desired.

As for your evaluation of Peters. I like the kid, he's getting a little better with his scoring but he's an absolute great defensive forward. In a year or two he'd be great at centering a Bottom 6 shut down line or provided the defense for a Bottom 6 scoring line. Similar to Fiddler really.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
God dammit....I think Campbell got hurt again. Texas just called up Robinson and they did play Nihlstorp back-to-back in OKC.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Wooo another two game night again. This means my attention will probably not be 100%....doesn't matter...HOCKEY!

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Texas was able to get get a point but lose in a shootout. They didn't look good this game, seemed they could just not handle the puck.

Ritchie and Button scored. Nihlstorp was in net and once again he was beaten multiple times high glove side.

They meet again tomorrow in CPC. Then I'll get a better idea of how the guys are playing because god the AHL feeds suck so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad