Confirmed Trade: [VGK/OTT] Mark Stone, Tobias Lindberg for Erik Brannstrom, Oscar Lindberg, and 2020 2nd round pick

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Neither Ottawa or Colorado can seem to figure out a rebuild so the trade doesn't really matter anyways.
Next year is when we judge whether or not Colorado's rebuild "worked". They did make the playoffs last year and is right in the thick of things this year. They should be a lock for the playoffs and a possible contender next year if Makar is as good as advertised. Not to mention a ton of cap space and a top pick from Ottawa.

Reactions: Devonator

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
It's good for the VGK reptutation to pay these free agents/ trades fair value (looking at Tatar, Stone, Patches, etc) but not so good for their cap... Hope they make a run again this year.

Feb 24, 2017
I feel like this detail gets under looked a lot. People who act like a re-signed stone should have got more need to realize he wasn’t resigning anywhere. Seems like this was likely the best offer or at least one of them.
This website is all about proving others are wrong and that they should feel bad about the actions of their favourite team. Details like the one you mentioned don’t play well for that.

darnok

Mar 15, 2014
Stone deserves it. One of the best 2-way forwards in the game. Entering prime years.

He has a great hockey IQ and is always aware of the ice around him. Stone is not really a fast player, so skating won't hold him back in being effective in the latter part of his contract.

Puck thief.
From under rated to over rated in a couple of years. Good player but ridiculous contract. Sens dodged a bullet here.

Reactions: DougieSmash

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
Good deal for both teams. Vegas get an elite winger, Ottawa get what probably ends up being an elite d man and it buys them a few years for Melnyk to sell the team so when this kid wants to get paid he doesn't just get shipped off.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Sign Pirri and Engelland to cheap contracts, let Cody Glass on the opening night roster, sign Karlsson to $6M AAV for 8-years, trade: Nick Holden, Cody Eakin, Erika Haula, and Jon Merrill. An alternate option would be to waive them, but I think it's best Vegas doesn't leave empty-handed.

Cody Eakin and Nick Holden: Philadelphia for Ryan Hartman and 3rd 2020.
Erik Haula: Carolina for 2nd 2019, 5th 2019 and conditional 3rd 2021.
Jon Merrill: Detroit for 6th 2020

Makes me also question Bellemaire, but I don't see him staying even though he seems to be a good fit there. But he could be had for cheap.

They just better hope they can keep Subban on a cheap contract going into next season. But I'll pretend he signed a cheap contract with them.

Marchessault-Karlsson-Smith
Pacioretty-Glass-Stone
Pirri-Stastny-Tuch
Nosek-Reaves-Hartman

Schmidt-Theodore
McNabb-Miller
Hague-Engelland

Fleury
Subban

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
The problem with the Stone contract is the last few years but if you want high end talent like that, you have to pay for the prime years even if it means having to bear through the last couple years

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The problem with the Stone contract is the last few years but if you want high end talent like that, you have to pay for the prime years even if it means having to bear through the last couple years

Stone is pretty likely to remain effective throughout that entire contract, IMO. Hossa was still a 60 point player at age 35 and Stone is the closest thing to a modern day Hossa in the NHL today.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Sign Pirri and Engelland to cheap contracts, let Cody Glass on the opening night roster, sign Karlsson to $6M AAV for 8-years, trade: Nick Holden, Cody Eakin, Erika Haula, and Jon Merrill. An alternate option would be to waive them, but I think it's best Vegas doesn't leave empty-handed.

Cody Eakin and Nick Holden: Philadelphia for Ryan Hartman and 3rd 2020.
Erik Haula: Carolina for 2nd 2019, 5th 2019 and conditional 3rd 2021.
Jon Merrill: Detroit for 6th 2020

Makes me also question Bellemaire, but I don't see him staying even though he seems to be a good fit there. But he could be had for cheap.

They just better hope they can keep Subban on a cheap contract going into next season. But I'll pretend he signed a cheap contract with them.

Marchessault-Karlsson-Smith
Pacioretty-Glass-Stone
Pirri-Stastny-Tuch
Nosek-Reaves-Hartman

Schmidt-Theodore
McNabb-Miller
Hague-Engelland

Fleury
Subban

Too much player movement for such a close knit group IMO.

Pacioretty Stastny Stone
Marchessault Karlsson Tuch
Gusev Eakin Haula
Carrier Bellemare Reaves
Zykov
Carpenter

Theodore Schmidt
Hague Engelland
McNabb Miller
Merrill

MAF
Subban

darnok

Mar 15, 2014
Stone is pretty likely to remain effective throughout that entire contract, IMO. Hossa was still a 60 point player at age 35 and Stone is the closest thing to a modern day Hossa in the NHL today.
Stone is more of an olden days Hossa. Esposito comes to mind. Off the charts hockey sense but lousy skater. Hossa combined that with great skating which most modern players have.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Stone deserves it. One of the best 2-way forwards in the game. Entering prime years.

He has a great hockey IQ and is always aware of the ice around him. Stone is not really a fast player, so skating won't hold him back in being effective in the latter part of his contract.

Puck thief.

iXqX6t8.jpg

I like Stone, I just saw an excuse to post this awesome hit.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
From under rated to over rated in a couple of years. Good player but ridiculous contract. Sens dodged a bullet here.

The cap went up dramatically, and Stone elevated his production over the last two seasons.

He was a 6.5-7.5 million dollar player two years ago, but things change. At that time, this contract would have seemed absurd.

Stone received the upper end of his market value as a UFA. That means this is not a good contract, but that also doesn't mean it's a bad contract. The cap will likely continue to grow and deflate the cap hit quicker than Stone will decline.

A good contract would be Marchand. As a result of numerous factors working in the Bruin's favor, he is now making way below what his current market value would be as a UFA. In cases like Stone, just because a player isn't signed to a contract below their market value, it doesn't make their contract a bad contract - it's just not a good one.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Was overpaid but Vegas is in win mode now. Going to look bad if they can't win a cup in that time frame.

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
Was overpaid but Vegas is in win mode now. Going to look bad if they can't win a cup in that time frame.

Yeah poor Vegas for being a contender right out of expansion, having a GM committed to winning, great fan base, excellent coach. Even if they don't win a cup in the first 10 years but win some more series they will not look "bad" due to this signing which is far from overpayment. It's right in line with other comparables and percentage of cap.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
1) Ottawa is pissed about the Stone trade
2) Vegas is pissed about losing Brannstrom
3) Debate about whether the 8 year deal Stone will decline..

As a Sens fan, I would be a bit weary about signing Stone for 8 years. That being said, I'm pissed as hell he ain't gonna be here for at least the next 7. What is one more year for an elite winger who can drive an entire line. I really hope Brannstrom pans out..

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00