Confirmed Trade: [VGK/NYI] Grabovski, Bischoff, 2017 1st (#15) & 2019 2nd to Vegas to select Berube

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
He's not on LTIR. He can't be put on LTIR unless the Islanders exceed the cap. If he comes back, and the Islanders added salary somewhere else, they'd have been forced into a way worse deal to clear the cap space. What is so hard to understand about that?

So? he isn't on LTIR. Then send him to the AHL. Fayne is down there. Nikitin was down there. What is so hard to understand about that?

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
As far as I'm concerned, simply put, if the deal we made with Vegas yesterday makes it easier for us to acquire Duchene and Galchenyuk(No Eberle, please no Eberle!) then it's an easy win for the Isles.

If Eberle ends up on this team, that to me will be a loss. Want no part of him.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Based on the last two Oilers fans replies, it's pretty clear the entire basis for your arguments is the fact that your feelings are still hurt about Snow jobbing Chiarelli.

I'm wasting my time here.

Based off the Isles fans not getting a clue about asset management tells me I'm wasting my time. :nod: Have fun with your team.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Based on the last two Oilers fans replies, it's pretty clear the entire basis for your arguments is the fact that your feelings are still hurt about Snow jobbing Chiarelli.

I'm wasting my time here.

Me? Im not an Oiler fan so I could give 2 craps who won that trade.

I think it's a hoot watching the different perception in the 2 moves.

denis

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So? he isn't on LTIR. Then send him to the AHL. Fayne is down there. Nikitin was down there. What is so hard to understand about that?
He's injured, for God's sake. It's not allowed. He also can't be bought out. If he tries a comeback and survives training camp, the bulk of his salary would still count against the cap if he were sent down. If you are going to insist on arguing about this, it would be nice if you had a clue about how this all works.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Acquire the 15th overall pick for nothing

"Omgz WE FLEECED Chiarelli! What a trade! Wow! BARZAL! Whoohooo! Cant believe we got this for nothing basically, holy!"

Give up 15th overall pick for nothing

"Pfft, haven't even played a game... haven't even been drafted. Who knows how they turn out, right? Meh, not gonna sweat losing the 15th pick for nothing really. It happens, not worth much in a crappy draft anyways."

I love how several Isles fans are talking out of both sides of their mouths, literally the same day! haha hilarious!

Meanwhile, in the Clarkson to Vegas thread...

Totally ok with this. Karlsson is good but a late 1st and 2019 2nd is very fair for them taking Clarkson and staying away from our top guys.

This was a great trade for Columbus. Got rid of Clarkson's contract and didn't have to trade any prospects.

Seems like a pretty fair deal for both sides.

Late 1st in a weak draft and a 2nd in 2019 which will likely be recovered by Jarmo. No issue with this to free up Cap space for the young guys.

If there was a year when it would make sense to move a 1st for Clarkson's contract, it was this year - latest 1st ever in our history, in a draft not exactly known for its depth and breadth of talent.

Agree. Deal makes sense on the surface

Fair deal in my book.

Stings a little, but with cap space we can help our team now, and we kept our prospects. But we better make well on our picks next year, since we have no high picks this year.

I think this is solid for Columbus. And works well for VGK. Win/Win.

Columbus has enough young guys that the picks aren't going to be felt much. They will definitely feel the weight of that Clarkson contract being gone, however, even if he's on LTIR. It helps the club in a couple ways.

Still a lot to give. Good for Vegas. Taking advantage of the situation for sure.

Karlsson...a decent 3rd liner...there's a ton of them in NHL...no big loss...plus 2 scrappy picks...

The 2nd round 2019 pick was what I didn't like about the deal... but in the grand scheme of things its probably a small cost to pay with the options that this deal now gives us.

Solid trade for both sides.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
But that's the thing. You are assuming they WILL add another player. There is NOTHING close to imminent from what the media is saying so for all we know, Snow could have 'tried' and got nothing out of it. If this was freeing cap space for a free agent, I can understand, but this is all based off people thinking Snow will 'fleece' everyone.

Oh, no, I don't think he will fleece *anyone*. I am hoping he can make a fair trade. I think he may even overpay a little. But, I think he will ultimately get someone, either by trade or free agent.

Most Isles fans, myself included, want Snow gone. We aren't defending the moves as a knee-jerk "our GM must be great" reaction. There is genuine surprise on the Isles board that he did something we think is smart.

He very well may screw the pooch and not get anyone. If so, that will be awful for the franchise.

But, the team is in a better position to add someone today than it was yesterday. Given the stakes, with JT's free agency looming, that makes the trade worthwhile IMO.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
This is rediculous. CLB and VGK made a similar deal as this one. Yet their thread is two pages long and this one is nine.

Moreover, not a single poster criticizing this trade here has even bothered to post in that thread.

Now Islander fans are deemed hypocritical for liking the Reinhart trade AND liking this deal? However the narratives conviently ignore this deal as protecting roster assets AND gaining cap space.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site

"Omgz WE FLEECED Chiarelli! What a trade! Wow! BARZAL! Whoohooo! Cant believe we got this for nothing basically, holy!"

"Pfft, haven't even played a game... haven't even been drafted. Who knows how they turn out, right? Meh, not gonna sweat losing the 15th pick for nothing really. It happens, not worth much in a crappy draft anyways."

I love how several Isles fans are talking out of both sides of their mouths, literally the same day! haha hilarious!

We got the 15th overall (and 31st overall) for a busted prospect. And that was when Barzal, an elite prospect, was on the table.

We gave up the 15th overall to keep de Haan/Nelson.

So, forgetting who we drafted with the pick, if you just want to compare the two trades,

The Isles get: de Haan/Nelson, #15 pick, #31 pick
Lose: Griffin Reinhart, #15 pick

That looks like a huge win for the Isles. So, maybe this is why we are happy with the deals?

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006

Actually the top one was the 16th and the 33rd, but who's counting? :laugh:

Last edited:

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
as far as i'm concerned, simply put, if the deal we made with vegas yesterday makes it easier for us to acquire duchene and galchenyuk(no eberle, please no eberle!) then it's an easy win for the isles.

If eberle ends up on this team, that to me will be a loss. Want no part of him.

lewwwwwwwwwzer

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
As far as I'm concerned, simply put, if the deal we made with Vegas yesterday makes it easier for us to acquire Duchene and Galchenyuk(No Eberle, please no Eberle!) then it's an easy win for the Isles.

If Eberle ends up on this team, that to me will be a loss. Want no part of him.

Get rekt. Ask and ye shall receive.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
We got the 15th overall (and 31st overall) for a busted prospect. And that was when Barzal, an elite prospect, was on the table.

We gave up the 15th overall to keep de Haan/Nelson.

So, forgetting who we drafted with the pick, if you just want to compare the two trades,

The Isles get: de Haan/Nelson, #15 pick, #31 pick
Lose: Griffin Reinhart, #15 pick

That looks like a huge win for the Isles. So, maybe this is why we are happy with the deals?

It ONLY SEEMS like Edmonton got fleeced. It would have been a different story if Boston didn't go way off the board with their picks, thus, allowing Barzal to fall to us. If Edmonton knew what would have happened, they wouldn't have made the trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad