Confirmed Trade: [VGK/MTL] Shea Weber for Evgenii Dadonov

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
We have some promising goalies. One overseas and one in the NCAA. Problem is they’re still 2-3 years away. Probably sign veterans to pair with Primeau until one of them takes the top spot.
Maybe, Allen can handle the job for 2-3 years, can't he?

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Trading Josh Anderson would be a stupid mistake and would certainly rattle my confidence in Hughes.
Why? Anderson is in his prime right now. In 3 seasons, when we might start being more than a borderline playoff team, he'll be tailing off.

I'm not saying to give up on him, but if Edmonton offers Holloway, Foegele and a lottery-protected first, I'm going to be listening very intently. IE, the return is important to knowing if dealing a player is a good call or not.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
You can make a case that a 5M player producing 43 points in a chaotic season is negative value. I can accept that. But that same player has the potential to be a 1st round pick at TDL next season with a 50+ pt AAV and 2.5M caphit (50% retention). Hughes made a savvy deal here. At worst, Dadonov sucks and helps the Habs tank next season then is off the books.

Yup, then we are completely free & clear from Weber's LTIR from 2023 and beyond, which is necessary with all the ELCs that are coming in this year & next.

Plus, Price' s future is completely up in the air. Having the potential of $18m in LTIR over the next 4 years was simply un-doable.

A really necessary trade for us, and for Vegas, as it allows them to clear $5m in cap.

It's win-win for both teams.

Reactions: pth2 and HuGo Sham

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
I don't see how or why one could argue that Dadonov had some sort of positive value.

If he did, the Knights would have certainly traded him for a 7th round pick before taking on Weber's caphit (and whatever non-insured money is on it).

Now, come deadline time, if Montreal is retaining 50%, he'll probably have some positive value.... but today, his value was certainly negative.
Dadonov had a crazy season. The first three months, he didn't fit in at all and terribly underperformed (which is why his 2021-22 stats look so bad). Then, he started to fit in a little but was still slightly underperforming. Then, Eichel showed up in late February, the abortive trade of Dadonov to the Ducks happened at the TDL which seems to have snapped him out of his coma, and all of a sudden Dadonov meshed with Eichel and went on a heater that finally made him look like he was worth the bucks. IMHO, if it weren't for the cap considerations, Dadonov would still be with the VGK, but in retrospect it is clear that they had decided early in the season to deal him to clear cap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeune Poulet

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Maybe, Allen can handle the job for 2-3 years, can't he?

If one wants to tank or is in rebuild mode than yes sure he can do the job

Allen is a solid backup who can be used as a band aid in case of injury to the starting goalie but he's not made to be in net for 50+ games as he usually fold at some point as the #1 guy. Granted the poor Habs D sure as hell did not help his case but still. But yes if the Habs have no intention to be competitive in the next couple of years he can be the go to guy sure.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
If one wants to tank or is in rebuild mode than yes sure he can do the job

Allen is a solid backup who can be used as a band aid in case of injury to the starting goalie but he's not made to be in net for 50+ games as he usually fold at some point as the #1 guy. Granted the poor Habs D sure as hell did not help his case but still. But yes if the Habs have no intention to be competitive in the next couple of years he can be the go to guy sure.
Or he can share starts with Primeau or the rest of the rookies. This can give the rookies a test into the NHL, so this will be a benefit.

Reactions: V13

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Shea Weber upon hearing the news:

undertaker-coffin.gif

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Honestly can the league just create a Reitred through injury status. It would make things so much easier.

i have no issue in having these injured/ retired players go to team 33 DOA and they are removed but cash/cap still counts from NHL player revenue share.

but the concern is it gets manipulated by teams wanting to unload their dead space of active players with ingrown toenails LTIR

see San Jose with these high cap hit players who still have 3+ yrs left. If they coukd unload them with 1-2 years left they would

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
i have no issue in having these injured/ retired players go to team 33 DOA and they are removed but cash/cap still counts from NHL player revenue share.

but the concern is it gets manipulated by teams wanting to unload their dead space of active players with ingrown toenails LTIR

see San Jose with these high cap hit players who still have 3+ yrs left. If they coukd unload them with 1-2 years left they would

Being injury retired I think would require league doctors to approve it. Also consider these contracts are often insured so the amount of player shared revenue they take up will be minimal.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Biggest impact is that Vegas will not be able to accrue cap space for the trade deadline for the length of Eichel's contract (ends same time Weber's does).

Side note - wow that just goes to show you how long that contract really is. Eichel was 15 when it was signed, 3 seasons away from being drafted - he's now in the midst of an 8 year deal and will have played 11 NHL seasons by the time Webers is up.

All I want is for Weber to decide he wants to play again.

I will personally fly him to Germany to see the doctor that fixed Kobe's knee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad