Contract Termination: [VGK] Mikael Hakkarainen

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I assume he wants to go back to Europe.

0 point in 14 AHL games, 5 points in 9 ECHL games.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
He did an interview recently where he said the Blackhawks organization treated him badly and he wants out. Apparently when he was traded to Vegas they made it clear they did not want him and immediately loaned him back to Chicago's AHL team that also made it clear he would not be playing.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
And people say cap space isn't worth anything.

MAF's capspace was worth the reigning Vezina trophy and multiple Cups and Finals appearance veteran goalie, MAF.

Reactions: 1989

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
And people say cap space isn't worth anything.

MAF's capspace was worth the reigning Vezina trophy and multiple Cups and Finals appearance veteran goalie, MAF.

He threatened to retire and tanked his value. Even though it was an empty threat it was still negotiating leverage for Chicago. He was actively trying to get teams disinterested in order to force Vegas to keep him. If he doesn't do that Vegas probably would have gotten a 2nd or a couple 3rds for him.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Kid wants to go home and play in Europe
No he doesn’t, he wants to be with a NHL organization that actually wants him, Vegas is dumping him. When teams terminate minor league deals it’s a little more one sided, the team is looking to dump him and it’s sort not that mutual.

Hakkarainen understands the trade from a business perspective. The Blackhawks were looking to move out a contract, which has one year remaining on it, and the Golden Knights didn’t envision him playing for their AHL team.

Hakkarainen also understood his play over the last few years wouldn’t make him too attractive. He signed with the Blackhawks out of the USHL, played just 11 games in the AHL and ECHL in his first pro season due to a concussion and a neck injury and then played just 12 games last season due to a foot injury.

Still, there is a human element to it all, and that’s often forgotten.

“This a kid who left Europe at a young age with NHL aspirations,” Boston said. “There were those who advised against it, and he followed his dream. He earned that NHL contract. From a human aspect, not a business one, I want to see him get a chance to play a year healthy and see what he can do.”

It’s all Hakkarainen desires, too. He’ll be fine with wherever he plays this upcoming season. He just wants an opportunity to prove himself. As of now, he’s still not sure what team he’ll play for. He said the Blackhawks said he could play for their ECHL affiliate, the Indy Fuel, and he has some potential European options.

“It’s a weird situation where Chicago has their own players that they want to develop in Rockford, and I’m not with Chicago anymore,” Hakkarainen said. “I feel like they don’t want a player there that’s not theirs. It’s a weird situation because I’ve never had this situation before. It’s crazy. I’m all for going to Indy and developing the best I can and hopefully stay healthy.”
[…]
Hakkarainen isn’t giving up his NHL dream. It may be off course, but he’s still hopeful. He’s worked as much on his mind as his body in the last few years, and that’s been key to him moving forward in hockey.

“At the moment right now, I’m in a great headspace,” Hakkarainen said. “When I got the injury after (being on) the taxi squad (last season), it was tough because I felt like I could have had a chance to play games last year if I didn’t get injured. That’s how I felt in my head. It was a huge crush of my dreams.

“I had a conversation with a psychologist and they’ve helped a lot. It’s not always easy to love the game because as much as we put in, I put a lot of hours, like everyone else, but sometimes it feels like it hasn’t given me much lately.

Traded for Marc-André Fleury and unwanted by the Golden Knights, Mikael Hakkarainen is in a strange situation

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
No he doesn’t, he wants to be with a NHL organization that actually wants him, Vegas is dumping him. When teams terminate minor league deals it’s a little more one sided, the team is looking to dump him and it’s sort not that mutual.

It’s very mutual. If Hakkarainen didn’t agree to end the contract, there’s nothing Vegas could have done about it.

Unless he knows of a team who wants to sign him, and Vegas said “yeah, go fill your boots”. But why would any team be interested in him?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
It’s very mutual. If Hakkarainen didn’t agree to end the contract, there’s nothing Vegas could have done about it.

Unless he knows of a team who wants to sign him, and Vegas said “yeah, go fill your boots”. But why would any team be interested in him?
He has options. Like you said, he agreed so he has options.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Curious as to what the Hawks saw in him both to draft him and then sign him in the first place?

He had one good season as a 19-year-old in the USHL and played just one game for Providence College.

And not that it is a requirement to play in the NHL but he never skated for Finland's U18 or U20 teams.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Curious as to what the Hawks saw in him both to draft him and then sign him in the first place?

He had one good season as a 19-year-old in the USHL and played just one game for Providence College.

And not that it is a requirement to play in the NHL but he never skated for Finland's U18 or U20 teams.

5th round picks are crapshoot anyway.

What is come to national team, he moved to NA quite young and NT probably just didn't care about him. Although I can't say if he even would have been NT material

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad