Confirmed with Link: VGK acquire Martinez for 2020 2nd, 2021 2nd from LAK

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
I would do a 1st plus Morozov for Petry as we do have 5 2nd rounders in the next couple years.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I would do a 1st plus Morozov for Petry as we do have 5 2nd rounders in the next couple years.

If it's next season's first rounder then I think I'm okay with it, could even throw in Schuldt or Coghlan to give a defensive prospect back. They would have to retain some cap and probably take Merrill.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
If it's next season's first rounder then I think I'm okay with it, could even throw in Schuldt or Coghlan to give a defensive prospect back. They would have to retain some cap and probably take Merrill.

When he got off to a red hot October I thought Petry might be a good target.

Since mid-November Petry is tied for the league worst -18 and the most giveaways at 43. He's been consistently among the league leaders in giveaways for several years now.

His wildly inconsistent play has been a big factor in Montreal having 2 winless streaks (7 & 9 in a row) and not getting a sniff at a wildcard spot.

He'll also be 33 next year.

Reactions: Lehtonen

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

Since mid-November Petry is tied for the league worst -18 and the most giveaways at 43. He's been consistently among the league leaders in giveaways for several years now.

His wildly inconsistent play has been a big factor in Montreal having 2 winless streaks (7 & 9 in a row) and not getting a sniff at a wildcard spot.

I don't want Petry either but I don't want to trade this drafts first rounder for any defenseman.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9

I actually don't know where our teams stacks up in that department... but it seems like he'd fit right in. :sarcasm::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Nevada Jones

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
3mymdg.jpg

Demelo ftw.
Heck even Dillon can come sign a cheap deal this summer to play for his old coach.

I actually don't know where our teams stacks up in that department... but it seems like he'd fit right in. :sarcasm::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:laugh: That's what I'm afraid of. People thinking he's the answer to the team's woes will probably be disappointed.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Other candidates mentioned: Alec Martinez (Kings), Erik Gustaffson (Blues), Jake Gardiner (Hurricanes).

FWIW, the Sharks have traded in-division, but the price will probably be higher (on principle) to VGK than to an Eastern Conference team.
Isn't Alec Martinez age an issue?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I'm putting this here, I don't want Jeff Petry on this team at all. The ask seems ridiculously high for what you're getting and I don't want Habs fans to see them get anything close to that in a trade. Especially after the Pacioretty trade.

I would rather have Demelo, Martinez, Niskanen, Braun, Vatanen (and I don't want Vatanen), Schultz, TVR, Ristolainen, Miller back. I would rather roll the dice with no one or bring up Whitecloud or even trade for Mike Green and his ancient play. Even giving the Sharks something for Dillon.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I've been vocal about offering Stecher to Vegas from the Canucks on the main trade boards. I was originally hoping for a middle six, or better yet top six, forward as rental or low cost with longer term. That seems like it might not really work for either side.

It's been mentioned a number of times that the Golden Knights are swimming in second round picks the next few years, would that be acceptable for top six (who performed very well with top four and even top pairing ice time and responsibilities) RHD that has no glaring weaknesses to his game?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I've been vocal about offering Stecher to Vegas from the Canucks on the main trade boards. I was originally hoping for a middle six, or better yet top six, forward as rental or low cost with longer term. That seems like it might not really work for either side.

It's been mentioned a number of times that the Golden Knights are swimming in second round picks the next few years, would that be acceptable for top six (who performed very well with top four and even top pairing ice time and responsibilities) RHD that has no glaring weaknesses to his game?

If it stopped them from paying a 1st plus for Petry (or anyone really), I think I would be all over it.

Reactions: Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
If it stopped them from paying a 1st plus for Petry (or anyone really), I think I would be all over it.

Reason enough for me.

We have Myers and Tanev in top four roles, who are unlikely to be usurped given chemistry, and Tryamkin apparently likely to come back, so as good a soldier as Stech has been for us, I'd rather send him to a team he can share in the success with.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
According to Granger, he has talked with McCrimmon and got the sense he didn't want to trade any more 1st rounders. But we do have five 2nd round picks in the next two drafts. Mentioned Tuch, Marchessault as possibilities for bigger name defensemen.

Korczak, Elvenes, Dugan as far as our best trending prospects go after that, as I can't see them trading Krebs. Probably not Korczak either considering he is a player in our position of need.

Hopefully Suzuki succeeding gives them pause and pushes them toward a cautious route with trades.

Reactions: VegasKnightlife

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
According to Granger, he has talked with McCrimmon and got the sense he didn't want to trade any more 1st rounders. But we do have five 2nd round picks in the next two drafts. Mentioned Tuch, Marchessault as possibilities for bigger name defensemen.

Korczak, Elvenes, Dugan as far as our best trending prospects go after that, as I can't see them trading Krebs. Probably not Korczak either considering he is a player in our position of need.

Hopefully Suzuki succeeding gives them pause and pushes them toward a cautious route with trades.

Just as I feared. They'll trade a winger on a great contract like Tuch or Marchessault to get a Dman, then give up Dugan to get Kreider because they traded Tuch/Marchessault.

Kreider & DeAngelo or will they actually go for Ristolainen?

Dumba comes to mind as well.

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Just as I feared. They'll trade a winger on a great contract like Tuch or Marchessault to get a Dman, then give up Dugan to get Kreider because they traded Tuch/Marchessault.

Kreider & DeAngelo or will they actually go for Ristolainen?

Dumba comes to mind as well.

To be fair, he didn't mention the prospects names, just that they could be in a package, and that he thinks it's still most likely Marchessault is on the team after the deadline. I got the sense he wasn't so sure about Tuch though.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
No way he trades Dugan unless the return is really huge, certainly not for something like Kreider. Most of the guys mentioned are just not going to make the team significantly better so other than giving up a second or two, the trading makes little sense. Out of five seconds, they should get one or two solid players. If we go with the VGK drafting history it could be three. So let's not speed into anything and certainly not give up prospects that are maybe 1.5 seasons from getting a spot on the team.

Reactions: Vegas07

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Reason enough for me.

We have Myers and Tanev in top four roles, who are unlikely to be usurped given chemistry, and Tryamkin apparently likely to come back, so as good a soldier as Stech has been for us, I'd rather send him to a team he can share in the success with.

He's actually the caliber of player I would want the team to look at. Stecher or Demelo could be had for possibly a few 2nds, the team has extra, and they are young enough if Vegas wants to re-sign. I think we should stay away from the Petry's and those that would cost more but may not bring enough more to justify it or are older or would want a huge contract.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
He's actually the caliber of player I would want the team to look at. Stecher or Demelo could be had for possibly a few 2nds, the team has extra, and they are young enough if Vegas wants to re-sign. I think we should stay away from the Petry's and those that would cost more but may not bring enough more to justify it or are older or would want a huge contract.

Stech doesnt get celebrated like a lot of D, but hes played every spot a D could be asked to play and the worst I'll say is he's done alright.

Stecher for a second works, for sure, but I think Demko has to return a roster piece. Yes we have DiPietro, but even a mediocre back seems hard to find in this market. A second is fine value wise, but we dont have the same push to move Demko as we do Stecher. A cost controlled top six winger however...that would be interesting for us.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
If McPhee still has a say they'll trade another good young player for an established one. He's got a long history of it.

Ribeiro, Brouwer, Erat, Anson Carter, Pacioretty, Stone, Tatar, Mitchell etc.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I'm not sure if there's much to that Dillon talk, I think he'd much prefer Braun in free agency since he played him several minutes more than Dillon the past few years.

Braun will be 33 this summer so he probably won't cost as much as Dillon (not to mention they already have a physical LH PK dman on a great contract).

To be fair, he didn't mention the prospects names, just that they could be in a package, and that he thinks it's still most likely Marchessault is on the team after the deadline. I got the sense he wasn't so sure about Tuch though.

Selling low on Tuch would be a very bad idea, unless they're also buying low on someone like Dumba.

(I can almost hear the pitchforks and torches from Minny fans as I post this.)

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I'm not sure if there's much to that Dillon talk, I think he'd much prefer Braun in free agency since he played him several minutes more than Dillon the past few years.

Braun will be 33 this summer so he probably won't cost as much as Dillon (not to mention they already have a physical LH PK dman on a great contract).

Selling low on Tuch would be a very bad idea, unless they're also buying low on someone like Dumba.

Dumba is having a down year himself, and isn't signed as cheap or as long as Tuch, and I think is a year or two older. I don't know what the Wild's needs are but that could be a trade I approve sending a player like Tuch the other way.

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
Dumba is having a down year himself, and isn't signed as cheap or as long as Tuch, and I think is a year or two older. I don't know what the Wild's needs are but that could be a trade I approve sending a player like Tuch the other way.

Wild literally don't need anymore wingers with Kaprizov coming over next year.

Wild wingers are already full. Guerin also made it clear he will not trade Dumba or brodin short of overpayment or a 1st & ready young top 6 c prospect

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
If McPhee still has a say they'll trade another good young player for an established one. He's got a long history of it.

Ribeiro, Brouwer, Erat, Anson Carter, Pacioretty, Stone, Tatar, Mitchell etc.

I think I'm alright with giving NJ their picks back for Vatanen, if we send Merrill at the deadline and send down Roy and Hague we don't even need retention.

Then possibly see if we could get a Galchenyuk and Eakin swap.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

FWIW 2 scouts were watching the Sharks/Wild game earlier in the week. Probably there for Brodin/Dumba and the week earlier they were looking at Chicago playing....some other team. Gustafsson?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
FWIW 2 scouts were watching the Sharks/Wild game earlier in the week. Probably there for Brodin/Dumba and the week earlier they were looking at Chicago playing....some other team. Gustafsson?

Why do they send scouts? We know who these players are, you can see them as well on video, why bother in this day and age?

Are they starting negotiations or putting feelers by doing this? They could call. It seems an archaic system for players you know by now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad