Versus to Announce USA WJC Team

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If they're doing this they damn sure better be televisiing the tournament.

And they're going to talk about the guys who make the team like people in America are going to know who they are...

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

And they're going to talk about the guys who make the team like people in America are going to know who they are...

That would be nice...but i doubt it....they have to air there quota of 80 hours of bull riding per week.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005

Ummmmm...so?

How are casual American fans going to find out about these players unless people on television talk about them?

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
This is exactly why the Olympics should basically be the WJC instead of an All-Star Tourney.

I doubt Versus will air it. Doesn't ESPN own the rights?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I thought ESPN aired the WJCs because there was no NHL during the lockout?

Yea, that and it was in the US that year (North Dakota).

I don't think Versus is going to air the tournament. They wouldn't send announcers to Western Canada last year for the playoffs I doubt they are going to send them to Sweden. Also all of the announcers they have do work for NHL teams locally so I doubt they can go cover the World Juniors. The only way I see how is if they simulcast TSN's coverage but even then TSN isn't airing the last US round Robin game.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Center Ice had some of the games picked up from TSN's broadcast last season. I look forward to it.

They only added it at the last minute because they received so many e-mails from fans to carry it. We have to do the same thing this year.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Ding ding ding! Couldn't agree more. I would love to see them televise the games.

Why on earth would you object to them talking about the players? What better way to introduce the audience to them? Why not sell some potential future stars? How is this a negative thing?

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/centerice/index.html

Go to that link to contact Center Ice via e-mail and let's (hopefully) big them enough to get these games on again here in the U.S.
Well, if a whole bunch of people on these boards can waste time voting an undeserving player into the All-Star Game as a gag, maybe they can devote at least as much time to something like this that could actually benefit us. :)

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
...if a whole bunch of people on these boards can waste time voting an undeserving player into the All-Star Game as a gag, maybe they can devote at least as much time to something like this that could actually benefit us.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Well spoken, CHF.

Just some random thoughts here:

1. Locks: TJ Oshie, Patrick Kane, Erik Johnson.

2. Is Kessel eligible? Seems to me that if Staal and Bourdon can play for Canada after their NHL experience this year, Kessel should be able to skate for the USA also.

3. How about Ben Bishop for goaltender? Name me an American-born junior-age goalie (in major junior or college) playing any better right now?

P_B

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
:bow: :bow: :bow:

Well spoken, CHF.

Just some random thoughts here:

1. Locks: TJ Oshie, Patrick Kane, Erik Johnson.

2. Is Kessel eligible? Seems to me that if Staal and Bourdon can play for Canada after their NHL experience this year, Kessel should be able to skate for the USA also.

3. How about Ben Bishop for goaltender? Name me an American-born junior-age goalie (in major junior or college) playing any better right now?

P_B

1. Kessel is eligible, and he will be on the team if Boston releases him.

2. Bishop and Oshie are too old.

Last edited:

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com

Don't get the point of this at all. They are at least talking about the tournament and maybe, just maybe, a casual fan will learn about the tournament and players involved.

It's a small, but nice step forward. Zero reason for negativity on it.

Would you prefer they not talk about it at all? It certainly sounds that way.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
People need to know how these kids get here. Simple as that. It's easier to explain in football, basketball and baseball, but we have to do so in hockey as well.

bictron

Jul 31, 2005
Tracy, CA
People need to know how these kids get here. Simple as that. It's easier to explain in football, basketball and baseball, but we have to do so in hockey as well.

Definitely true. I have a few American friends, and really don't know about the WJC, and I have to tell them all about it and a few of the great American prospects in the league.

They get into it, and actually want to see the WJC to see ALL the teams, not just the US. But obviously they lie with the US, whereas I cheer for the Canadians.

The word has to get out. The Frozen Four has gained a little bit more popularity in the past few years, and now it's time for the WJC.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Don't get the point of this at all. They are at least talking about the tournament and maybe, just maybe, a casual fan will learn about the tournament and players involved.

Why bother if they're not even going to show it on TV? They're going to talk about it and then forget about it.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Why bother if they're not even going to show it on TV? They're going to talk about it and then forget about it.

So let me get this clear. Of these two options:

(1) Not talking about the US WJC team, and not showing the WJC games.

(2) Talking about the US WJC team, and not showing the WJC games,

You'd prefer the second option? You believe that the second option grows the game in the States more than the first option? :dunno:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
So let me get this clear. Of these two options:

(1) Not talking about the US WJC team, and not showing the WJC games.

(2) Talking about the US WJC team, and not showing the WJC games,

You'd prefer the second option? You believe that the second option grows the game in the States more than the first option? :dunno:

They're both irrelivant if they're not even going to give the WJC's air time. No one in the USA has TV rights on it, VS could probably pay $1 to pick it up.

Apr 16, 2002
Rochester, NY
Visit site
I agree, it would be a massive move by versus to pick up the WJC, even if they only got Team USA games and the final. That would be pretty big of them.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I agree, it would be a massive move by versus to pick up the WJC, even if they only got Team USA games and the final. That would be pretty big of them.

Why not show everything? They can use TSN's feed and all the games are played in the morning anyways because the tourney is in Sweden.

Kids could also watch a lot of the games because most of the tournament is over winter break

No, they're going to waste their time on it if they're not even going to give coverage on it. They need to go all the way on it if they're even going to acknowledge the tournament exists.

Apr 16, 2002
Rochester, NY
Visit site
Why not show everything? They can use TSN's feed and all the games are played in the morning anyways because the tourney is in Sweden.

Kids could also watch a lot of the games because most of the tournament is over winter break

I don't know about the costs of showing these games even by via TSN feed, but i was saying, worst case senerio, i think they should air all of team USA games. I hope they air the other ones too, but baby steps! lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad