VERSUS gets highest regular season numbers ever, again, for Pens-Rangers Monday

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
VERSUS drew an 0.4 for it's broadcast of the Penguins and Rangers Monday night, outdrawing both last Tuesday's Pittsburgh-Buffalo telecast and every non-playoff NHL game VERSUS has ever aired. The game drew a 6.1 in Pittsburgh and a 0.9 in NY, it's highest rating in that market.

Kukla's Korner has it.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
haha, no one gets versus in NY. With Cablevision if you don't have digital cable you don't have versus and better yet it's on channel 408!

I believe in NYC if you have Time Warner Cable you don't even get Versus. Great job NHL ;).

Aug 2, 2005
New York, NY
haha, no one gets versus in NY. With Cablevision if you don't have digital cable you don't have versus and better yet it's on channel 408!

I believe in NYC if you have Time Warner Cable you don't even get Versus. Great job NHL ;).

I have Time Warner in NYC and get Versus, but yeah, a lot of NY'ers don't get it.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
I bet Pittsburgh area cable companies just recently added Versus or something. Or the excitement of the new arena means more people are tuning in.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
Anyone think Anaheim-Detroit or Islanders-Devils will draw close to the same numbers?

Anyway, 0.4 is ESPN's average the last 3 seasons they had hockey, and above ESPN2's 0.2 average. So I'd say the VERSUS investment, if we can be around 0.3/0.4 level, is a justifiable one.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Anyone think Anaheim-Detroit or Islanders-Devils will draw close to the same numbers?

Anyway, 0.4 is ESPN's average the last 3 seasons they had hockey, and above ESPN2's 0.2 average. So I'd say the VERSUS investment, if we can be around 0.3/0.4 level, is a justifiable one.

And considering NBC's ratings are about the same as ABC's old ratings... There is really no reason for people to declare that the sky is falling. Sure, the NHL doesn't have great ratings. But has it ever?

Pens75

Pens Fan Since 1975
Jul 30, 2005
Duquesne Gardens
I bet Pittsburgh area cable companies just recently added Versus or something. Or the excitement of the new arena means more people are tuning in.

Incorrect assumption... Versus was available since it's incarnation, Pittsburgh's had strong ratings for eons.

If history tells us anything... Anaheim-Detroit yes, Islanders-Devils no. Some ratings this year...

- #1 in U.S. = Buffalo average viewer rating is 5.6
- #2 in U.S. = Detroit average viewer rating is 5.0 (verdict still out, many think it's lower)
- #3 in U.S. = Pittsburgh average viewer rating is 4.5

- Rangers average 36,834 viewers a game
- Devils average 13,206 viewers a game (average viewer rating is .18)
- Islanders average 7,336 viewers a game

- Hurricanes average viewer rating is 1.0
- Panthers average viewer rating is .23

- 14 of the NHL teams in the U.S. are averaging a rating equal or lower than 1.0

Pens75

Pens Fan Since 1975
Jul 30, 2005
Duquesne Gardens
PS: SteveDude... I just realized you also started the other recent VS TV Ratings thread with Buff & Pitt.

Just an FYI, there is a dedicated TV Ratings thread on the main page of the Business Forum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad