Vegas to host 2024 entry draft upd: at the Sphere

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Congrats to all the prospects for a trip to a city where they can’t do anything!
No drinking, and some entertainments off the menu, nor can they go to Circa resort, but there are thousands of other things they can. From indoor skydiving, operate a full size excavator, multiple museums, escape rooms, foot golf, numerous shows/musical acts/magic shows. And more.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Draft isn’t a money maker for the teams, this they aren’t that interested in hosting it. The one key thing for a team to host the draft is having a high likelihood of keeping their first round pick.

If you deal it at the tdl don’t expect as much of a turnout for it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I wonder if, like the all star game, they want to jazz it up and engage the market. Vegas likes putting on a show obviously.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wonder if, like the all star game, they want to jazz it up and engage the market. Vegas likes putting on a show obviously.
A show for how many though? Not like the nhl draft draws tonnes of fans from other cities like the nfl draft does.

Reactions: StevenB

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
The NHL should save Vegas for the All Star game, fun place to go in February. The draft can go to cities that are crappy in February but nice in June.

Reactions: Gabe Kupari

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Heck, even as a Pens fan, I question why has Anaheim never hosted anything - Draft, ASG...
Because if you’re going to be in the area, and your objective is to be seen, you might as well just be in LA, where you’re in Hollywood, at the beach, etc.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Wrt why a team hasn't hosted something.... drafts are a negative cash flow for an organization. ASG often minor $$ maker.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Wrt why a team hasn't hosted something.... drafts are a negative cash flow for an organization. ASG often minor $$ maker.

For Vegas, are they likely to keep their first round pick? Last NHL team to host the draft and not have their pick going into the draft was who? NJ dealt their pick in 2013 on the draft floor.

Vegas probably going to try to repeat, so 1st round pick will be in play if needed. Typically drafts go to the bottom half of the league since they are way more likely to keep the pick.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They didn't spend this season's 1st
True, but I can’t recall the last team to host a draft that moved their first before it. I remember back to when Stl traded for Gretzky. They kept their pick in what was considered a weaker draft since they were hosting it.

Guess you can always move a future first but always like to move the one I know where it will roughly be. Never know what can happen the following year to mess up your season.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Surprised they haven't gone back to Toronto. In the 22 years since they last hosted, Nashville/Montreal/Vancouver/ have all hosted it twice.

The Tank

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
If Vegas is hosting the draft it should be in the MSG Sphere but that won't happen unfortunately. Too much of a new cash cow to host a draft that cant sell tickets for hundreds of dollars.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Wasn't aware this was in the works. Hope it happens. I took full advantage of the NHL Awards being in town for years and met more than a handful of NHL stars that way. But I've always wanted to attend a draft, just never had the opportunity.

Agreed with the above that doing it in the MSG sphere would be really cool but I'm wondering if they have floor space for 32 teams worth of draft tables. Can't be bothered to look up the dimensions of the GA floor right now.

No drinking, and some entertainments off the menu, nor can they go to Circa resort, but there are thousands of other things they can. From indoor skydiving, operate a full size excavator, multiple museums, escape rooms, foot golf, numerous shows/musical acts/magic shows. And more.
Any prospect that can't find anything to do in Vegas as a 17-18 year old deserves to have their IQ seriously called into question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad