GDT: Vegas strip vs Washington's 14th Street - 7:08pm

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Pretty surprised how negative this thread is. This was a scheduled loss and they got a point out of it. They’re down four top six forwards and their 1RD and they lost Malenstyn in the first period. They also got a point last night against a good Carolina team. It’s all about banking points at the moment.

I thought Strome played his best game as a Cap. Lindgren was and is terrific. They played a good game against a good team and came up short. I wager if I told you before the games were played that the Caps would get two points playing Carolina and Vegas back to back most people would have been happy with that.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Team can’t do 3v3 very well. Fehervary immediately fumbled it away in the corner on the opening face off and Orlov kinda skated out of room. Two lost possessions and that type of stuff doesn’t lead to wins at 3v3

It’s fine, it’s gimmicky, but man we do suck at it

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
I thought he had four goals which would indeed put him under 30 this season. Turns out he has five goals so my math was slightly off. But if you believe this season’s version of Ovie going forward will make it to 895, you will be sorely disappointed. I know, this is heresy to state on this forum.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I thought he had four goals which would indeed put him under 30 this season. Turns out he has five goals so my math was slightly off. But if you believe this season’s version of Ovie going forward will make it to 895, you will be sorely disappointed. I know, this is heresy to state on this forum.

I will respectfully offer my point of view on it.

Is there any reason to doubt it anymore? He has 5 goals but he could've had 8 or 9 with a bit more luck from the posts.

He's comfortably on pace for 35+ goals, which still has him about 20 goals ahead of the pace he needed to maintain after signing his new contract. I'd be more surprised if it didn't happen than the contrary TBH.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Team can’t do 3v3 very well. Fehervary immediately fumbled it away in the corner on the opening face off and Orlov kinda skated out of room. Two lost possessions and that type of stuff doesn’t lead to wins at 3v3

It’s fine, it’s gimmicky, but man we do suck at it
3v3 is about speed and this team doesn’t have it. They’re about structure, discipline, and making it tough for opponents to find space… none of which are really possible with so much ice. And of course, injuries. All the guys hurt save Malenstyn are guys they’d use in OT.

That said, thought Orlov made some particularly bad choices with the puck in OT and Ovi didn’t track well against his man on the goal.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Weird that the biggest doomers are not upset but everyone else is.

Anyway, watch that OT goal again. Eichel peels off with the puck and immediately finds the guy at the point and gives him a "go" sign with a nod of his head toward the net. That's when the backdoor run starts and Ovie is left flatfooted.

The implication there is Eichel recognized that Ovie was the defender, and was playing high enough (and likely looking to cherrypick the other way) so he called the play to the net. Correctly.

Meaning, the book is out on Ovie in OT and Lavi had better be ready to bench him or only deploy him in the offensive zone when possible. Or else Ovie will have to sit back and play soft shot-blocking tactics when in the d-zone, because this will happen again.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They put in admirable efforts both games but I hesitate to give them too much credit due to injuries. It's not like Carlson & Oshie were tearing it up or that Malenstyn was more than a depth player. It's an increasingly long list of course and stinks but it's really the blueline minus Carlson that's had to step up their game pretty. We don't really see much of any comparable elevation happening up front, though. Part of it's maybe being tasked with playing more compact and responsible in support but within that there are opportunities to execute sharper and be opportunistic. I come away more convinced key players like Kuznetsov & Mantha have little remaining elevation and for that ultimately it's hard to be too bullish about their chances.

Wilson's return can help imbibe more energy but fundamentally I don't know if they've got the substance offensively to be formidable no matter how you realistically slice it. Maybe in absolutely ideal conditions their offensive production is passable but the fundamentals often don't seem to be there.

Last edited:

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Weird that the biggest doomers are not upset but everyone else is.

Anyway, watch that OT goal again. Eichel peels off with the puck and immediately finds the guy at the point and gives him a "go" sign with a nod of his head toward the net. That's when the backdoor run starts and Ovie is left flatfooted.

The implication there is Eichel recognized that Ovie was the defender, and was playing high enough (and likely looking to cherrypick the other way) so he called the play to the net. Correctly.

Meaning, the book is out on Ovie in OT and Lavi had better be ready to bench him or only deploy him in the offensive zone when possible. Or else Ovie will have to sit back and play soft shot-blocking tactics when in the d-zone, because this will happen again.
All true - teams know to exploit Ovie’s lack of defensive awareness and responsibility. But Eichel had the puck for a ton of time even before signaled go without any hint of defensive pressure. It was obvious he had no fear of being dispossessed of the puck, whereas like 45 seconds earlier a Cap playing 3v3 unilaterally coughed up the puck as a result of being steered into the corner by the VGK D structure

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Wilson's return can help imbibe more energy but fundamentally I don't know if they've got the substance offensively to be formidable no matter how you realistically slice it.
This has kinda been my issue with Lavi's whole stint here. Specifically around how they systemically attack the game.

Maybe I/we were spoiled by Trotz super regimented defensive structure, but at the very least it always seemed pretty apparent what those teams was trying to do. If the puck got back to one of the defenders you basically always knew exactly which way they were going to cycle the puck back around to get on the attack. When they attained control in the offensive zone, while I would still lament their actual attacking of the goalie, there was an obvious plan and focus on maintaining control and cycling the puck. It was all fairly simple but it was purposeful.

With Lavi, what is the plan? They suck at passing, though the majority of the team has always seemed to struggle at that to varying degrees, I don't see a consistent thought in their cycle game, their possession abilities generally seem lacking, and defensively it feels like they're just chickens with their head cut off running around.

I just don't see Wilson's tone setting and energy really fixing that, even if it's sorely missed.

Reactions: tycoonheart

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Right now the plan in the offensive zone seems to basically be "hope a defender blows a coverage near the crease." But there's nothing in place to try and force that blown coverage to happen.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
They put in admirable efforts both games but I hesitate to give them too much credit due to injuries. It's not like Carlson & Oshie were tearing it up or that Malenstyn was more than a depth player. It's an increasingly long list of course and stinks but it's really the blueline minus Carlson that's had to step up their game pretty. We don't really see much of any comparable elevation happening up front, though. Part of it's maybe being tasked with playing more compact and responsible in support but within that there are opportunities to execute sharper and be opportunistic. I come away more convinced key players like Kuznetsov & Mantha have little remaining elevation and for that ultimately it's hard to be too bullish about their chances.

Wilson's return can help imbibe more energy but fundamentally I don't know if they've got the substance offensively to be formidable no matter how you realistically slice it. Maybe in absolutely ideal conditions their offensive production is passable but the fundamentals often don't seem to be there.
They’re 21st in GF/G and 11th in GA/G. They struggle to generate sustained offense which I don’t think changes much even when Wilson returns. Backstrom and Oshie can’t be counted on at all this year. Brown would have been a nice player but his addition was geared more towards being hard to play against than it was improving scoring.

The depth scoring is nice and needed but they really need a more dynamic and threatening top six if they’re going to compete. Luckily the goaltending has been superb. The blueprint to their success is there and their structure works well… they just need more guys who can create offense consistently.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
We just took one top 3 team in the league to OT and should've probably won, a night after going to a shootout vs another top 3 team, with half of our "core" missing, and people are nitpicking vague nothing shit like "offensive substance".

Mr. T was right.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
We just took one top 3 team in the league to OT and should've probably won, a night after going to a shootout vs another top 3 team, with half of our "core" missing, and people are nitpicking vague nothing shit like "offensive substance".

Mr. T was right.
So it’s really just all complaining then, isn’t it. Maybe you need a break.

Reactions: PlushMinus

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So it’s really just all complaining then, isn’t it. Maybe you need a break.

If people are having trouble enjoying hockey games I'm not the one who needs a break.

I'm sorry you all are upset about CMM and are never happy. But that's really not my problem.

Reactions: StrikingDistance

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
If people are having trouble enjoying hockey games I'm not the one who needs a break.

I'm sorry you all are upset about CMM and are never happy. But that's really not my problem.
Isn't it though? Kind of seems like it.

Reactions: PlushMinus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad