Vegas impact to Las vegas life etc...

Vegas impact to Nevada to grow the game?

• Total voters

Jokerit 16

Feb 8, 2018
Finland
Locals me how big The Knights are in Vegas? How has the youth hockey grow in Vegas and What kind if potential are Vegas in general to come a hockey town?

Are people interested hockey when the team is poor and wont succeeded anymore?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Locals me how big The Knights are in Vegas? How has the youth hockey grow in Vegas and What kind if potential are Vegas in general to come a hockey town?

We won't find this out until the team does end up turning into complete shit. Hopefully it doesn't, but the majority of teams usually do end up going through periods of shit play (aka rebuilds).

The true test of a fanbase is how they react to their team being complete garbage.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
What about youth hockey? What kind of impact Vegas has created?

VGK has a weekly show about the team and they have shown several players holding camps and there are always a ton of kids attending. Maybe one of them will be like Austin Matthews someday who played hockey because of the yotes. But I really believe that a lot of the camps that are run by the team are a money grab. Foley is smart about making money and I don't think there is any other owner in the nhl that has so many money making schemes.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Before VGK there were 2 permanent sheets of ice in Las Vegas. VGK built a 2 rink practice facility and from all indications there is little ice time available at them now. They are building a second 2 rink practice facility in Henderson (a suburb of Las Vegas) which will be the practice facility for the AHL team and they are building a 6000 seat arena for them to play in. I suspect that ice time at the new facility will be taken really quickly as well.

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016

We won't find this out until the team does end up turning into complete shit. Hopefully it doesn't, but the majority of teams usually do end up going through periods of shit play (aka rebuilds).

The true test of a fanbase is how they react to their team being complete garbage.

For a team to be successful in an area (through good times and bad), there has to be both an organic (natural) fan interest in the sport, as well as a willingness for a team to embrace the community.

In may surprise many people, but Las Vegas had an ECHL team from 2003-2014. (The ECHL is a tier below the AHL. The AHL is the primary professional developmental league for the NHL.) So, Las Vegas had a fan base that was primed to accept an NHL team. Others can write about the youth league teams in the city.

The Knights have certainly made an effort to make itself popular in the community and to be involved in community activities.

Let's contrast the Vegas Knights with the the NFL American football team, the Los Angeles Chargers. The Chargers recently moved from San Diego and their move will probably be a fiasco. The Chargers are competing against another new NFL team in Los Angeles, the Los Angeles Rams. The Rams had a history in the city (1946-1994) before leaving, so they have a previous fan base. There is no connection between the Chargers and the city of Los Angeles. Furthermore, the demographics of the city have changed, so I doubt there is a sufficiently large enough fan base to support two NFL teams. The Chargers will be the losers. Visiting fan bases have heavily populated both teams' stadiums. (The Chargers are far more impacted by poor attendance than the Rams, however.)

I don't think I've ever seen anyone outside the stadium wearing Los Angeles Chargers clothing. Rams team clothing is not too unusual.

If the Vegas Knights have a run of losing seasons, they will also be competing for fan interest from the newly-arrived NFL Las Vegas Raiders. Also, the planned AHL team will possibly divert some interest. That said, the games would continue to be popular because the fan base of opposing teams will replace the locals at games.

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
For a team to be successful in an area (through good times and bad), there has to be both an organic (natural) fan interest in the sport, as well as a willingness for a team to embrace the community.

In may surprise many people, but Las Vegas had an ECHL team from 2003-2014. (The ECHL is a tier below the AHL. The AHL is the primary professional developmental league for the NHL.) So, Las Vegas had a fan base that was primed to accept an NHL team. Others can write about the youth league teams in the city.

The Knights have certainly made an effort to make itself popular in the community and to be involved in community activities.

Let's contrast the Vegas Knights with the the NFL American football team, the Los Angeles Chargers. The Chargers recently moved from San Diego and their move will probably be a fiasco. The Chargers are competing against another new NFL team in Los Angeles, the Los Angeles Rams. The Rams had a history in the city (1946-1994) before leaving, so they have a previous fan base. There is no connection between the Chargers and the city of Los Angeles. Furthermore, the demographics of the city have changed, so I doubt there is a sufficiently large enough fan base to support two NFL teams. The Chargers will be the losers. Visiting fan bases have heavily populated both teams' stadiums. (The Chargers are far more impacted by poor attendance than the Rams, however.)

I don't think I've ever seen anyone outside the stadium wearing Los Angeles Chargers clothing. Rams team clothing is not too unusual.

If the Vegas Knights have a run of losing seasons, they will also be competing for fan interest from the newly-arrived NFL Las Vegas Raiders. Also, the planned AHL team will possibly divert some interest. That said, the games would continue to be popular because the fan base of opposing teams will replace the locals at games.

The Raiders are significantly likely to draw California season ticket holders to take trips to Vegas 8 weekends a year.

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
The Raiders are significantly likely to draw California season ticket holders to take trips to Vegas 8 weekends a year.

giphy.gif

Fortunately, most parole restrictions don't allow out-of-state travel unless special permission. (Not that I would know.) :laugh:

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
The Raiders STH are 60% locals, or something like that. I tried to find the source, but I'm too lazy. There has been an uptick in "Learn to skate" sessions for kids to populate the youth programs. They already existed, but ice time is getting scarce due to house leagues. Also, Vegas has become a huge destination for travel tournaments of all levels. If it's a holiday weekend, it's a lock that there is a tournament at one or all of the three facilities.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
The Raiders STH are 60% locals, or something like that. I tried to find the source, but I'm too lazy. There has been an uptick in "Learn to skate" sessions for kids to populate the youth programs. They already existed, but ice time is getting scarce due to house leagues. Also, Vegas has become a huge destination for travel tournaments of all levels. If it's a holiday weekend, it's a lock that there is a tournament at one or all of the three facilities.

Isn't 60% low for a team in your city? Vegas is basically getting an NFL team while only having to support about half of it.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
What kind of money making machine Knights are? What kind of revenue they make?
Season tickets the first year were set to be in the middle of the pack for pricing. After the successful first year, there have been fairly substantial increases in ticket prices the past 2 years and into next year. They have played to above capacity crowds in every home game. I would say they have positively affected the NHL's revenues.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Season tickets the first year were set to be in the middle of the pack for pricing. After the successful first year, there have been fairly substantial increases in ticket prices the past 2 years and into next year. They have played to above capacity crowds in every home game. I would say they have positively affected the NHL's revenues.

The lone exception to "above capacity" was this past Halloween's home game. We got tix for $7, I'm assuming because lots of parents didn't have the heart to tell their kids they're going tot the game and not trick-or-treating. I'm sure "paid attendance" wasn't far below capacity, but it was the least attended of any game I've been to.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
The lone exception to "above capacity" was this past Halloween's home game. We got tix for $7, I'm assuming because lots of parents didn't have the heart to tell their kids they're going tot the game and not trick-or-treating. I'm sure "paid attendance" wasn't far below capacity, but it was the least attended of any game I've been to.

I think I went to that game, weird vibe there.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Hockey already had a presence in Vegas and the team has endeared themselves to the community and made enough money I think it's a safe bet they're here for good. The city is still growing, the NHL fights to keep teams in cities, even a tough stretch probably would be ridden out and the team would continue to be successful.

Jokerit 16

Feb 8, 2018
Finland
I hope that in someday there will be Nevadas own Auston Matthews!

Youth hockey is a key thing to Knights in s long run!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad