Post-Game Talk: Vegas I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
We're all negative right now, maybe except for that reijo poster and the unbreakable puckluck, but we're actually ruining Laf before he even gets to lead the next core. He will have become our next big finesse player, looking rinkwide to pass before he even skates up ice, influenced by Panarin.
I was thinking that Laf can take a note from the refreshed, revitalized and reinvigorated Kakko and shoot the puck when in a prime position to. Looking for Panarin is great and all, but sometimes the best play is to rip it from the dots in. He’s deked himself behind the net old Kakko style 3 times in the last 3 games ffs.

Reactions: will1066

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Goalie gets outplayed, Zibanejad and Kreider are non existent 5 on 5.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

The level of laziness that's crept into Kreider's game the last couple years is staggering. Dude refuses to move his f***ing feet out there and he deserves to be scratched to send a message. Don't give a flying f*** about his little redirect pass on the powerplay when it was already 4-0

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
what has Laviolette done though? The team played differently for like a month but now they're back to their same old bullshit.

Maybe he could at least TRY something new? Like breaking up the horrendous d-pairings or the equally horrendous Zib- Kreider combination? Cycling the RW on that line is not enough. f***ing do something bro. Now is the time to be tinkering.
The problem with tinkering is that the 3C situation makes it impossible to make lines and if you suggest breaking up 10-16-13, people act like you shot a nun.

Reactions: Shadowtron

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
People have the knives out but the most fundamental problem right now is that the players don't skate. Part of it is that we're in the middle of the season and it's a boring grind, part of it is some players are old or stagnating. Part of it is the defensive scheme has become routine, players go to their position regardless of if it is proper or not - this last point is a Lavisaurus issue imo. If KAM wants to turn his season around he needs to start skating, but if Lavi is in his ear about defensive positioning it won't work... The first two goals Vegas scored were bad jokes, nobody was skating or pressuring.

Other than that it's the same old poor fit/balance issues that plague the team.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
i only caught the highlights but the 1-3-1 was hilariously bad in this play lol. Then the Law of Trouba requires him to take the worst angle possible in attempt to diffuse the situation
Miller and Krieder actually stopped skating. You can see them turn it on again when the guy blows by Trouba. As if to say "how the heck did that guy get past him"

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Miller and Krieder actually stopped skating. You can see them turn it on again when the guy blows by Trouba. As if to say "how the heck did that guy get past him"
Why even have Trouba be the guy flagging down the entry or dump-in. Miller closes out and kills the play with 1% effort. Obviously Trouba will stink in any system so it’s all irrelevant but you’d think he’d be the guy you want to hide in the flat footed 3 man wall

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Why even have Trouba be the guy flagging down the entry or dump-in. Miller closes out and kills the play with 1% effort. Obviously Trouba will stink in any system so it’s all irrelevant but you’d think he’d be the guy you want to hide in the flat footed 3 man wall
Because it's always the RD back. I guess they can't have 2 RDs and 1 LD at back. It affects all 5 guys. But there's really no excuse for Miller and Krieder to stop skating. Either one of those guys hustle and it's an easy interception. Technically Kakko had a lot farther to go than Krieder since Kakko was on the right wall. Trouba just sucks but that lack of effort can't happen.

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
The problem with tinkering is that the 3C situation makes it impossible to make lines and if you suggest breaking up 10-16-13, people act like you shot a nun.

We all know why and let's not be subtle about it either. Like the rest of this team, Laf can't finish plays at all. If you take Bread, and to a lesser extent Tro, Laf's production would be no better than the production of the previous years despite him looking like a different player this year. He's still a pass first player and therefore relies on his line mates to get him points.

This becomes so evident in the GDT where people are screaming about Laf would have x points if y player can just finish a play where he touched the puck.

In any case, despite what I think, they're the only line that pushes 5v5 play. However, if we don't look to move people around, then how would we know if other line combos will work?

Last edited:

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Because it's always the RD back. I guess they can't have 2 RDs and 1 LD at back. It affects all 5 guys. But there's really no excuse for Miller and Krieder to stop skating. Either one of those guys hustle and it's an easy interception. Technically Kakko had a lot farther to go than Krieder since Kakko was on the right wall. Trouba just sucks but that lack of effort can't happen.
Yeah I’m not sure how teams dictate that although I definitely have seen instances where teams get into their structure and and the LD is back. In the ‘22 playoffs I remember both TBL and laviolette caps giving Florida fits in the playoffs with the 1-3-1 and McDonagh was often back while Cernak was up on the wall

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Yeah I’m not sure how teams dictate that although I definitely have seen instances where teams get into their structure and and the LD is back. In the ‘22 playoffs I remember both TBL and laviolette caps giving Florida fits in the playoffs with the 1-3-1 and McDonagh was often back while Cernak was up on the wall
I think it has to be one way or the other. The 2 forwards need to know if they are the 2 left guys or the 2 right guys. It can't be if you are on with Trouba and Miller, the RD is up but if you are on with Fox and Lindgren, the left D is up. On the play in question, Miller and Krieder are oblivious to the guy cutting behind them. Guy gets the puck, they both turn and glide assuming Trouba will stop him. Trouba gets beat, then those 2 jump into gear. Trouba at least tried. Those 2 guys failed effort wise twice. Really no excuse. What good is the 1-3-1 if that simple pass kills it.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
i only caught the highlights but the 1-3-1 was hilariously bad in this play lol. Then the Law of Trouba requires him to take the worst angle possible in attempt to diffuse the situation

it's just an horrendous job by Trouba. there's our big tough gritty matchup defenseman getting dominated by friggin Nicolas Roy. if he slows him down at all then Kakko has time to cover Barbashev completely. that play almost looks like Trouba had money on Vegas.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
it's just an horrendous job by Trouba. there's our big tough gritty matchup defenseman getting dominated by friggin Nicolas Roy. if he slows him down at all then Kakko has time to cover Barbashev completely. that play almost looks like Trouba had money on Vegas.
Kakko is coming from the far wall to get back to the post. Yea, we all know Trouba sucks, but if you approach this logically, there's no way Kakko should be on that guy before Krieder and Miller. They weren't skating at all

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Kakko is coming from the far wall to get back to the post. Yea, we all know Trouba sucks, but if you approach this logically, there's no way Kakko should be on that guy before Krieder and Miller. They weren't skating at all

he was Kakko's man, Kreider and Miller stop skating to cover the slot (there's three other Vegas players on the ice still btw). Kakko kinda gets beat but it wouldn't have mattered if Trouba had done anything to impede Roy.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
right here, everyone is covered

Screenshot-2024-01-19-185131.png

Miller is kind of flat footed from trying to break up the pass to Roy. but this is still basically a 2 on 4. is Kreider supposed to be skating full speed out of position here? the guy behind Mika goes straight to the slot, but since Kreider correctly has that covered, Mika should drop back and cover the point as there's still two defensemen trailing the play.

it breaks down when Trouba gets beat clean with minimal effort. Trouba is now useless and Roy can make a dangerous pass across the royal road.

Screenshot-2024-01-19-185410.png

Kreider sees this and speeds up to break up the pass that should've been covered by Trouba, who for some reason curls to the middle to give Roy a passing lane you could drive a tractor trailer through.

Screenshot-2024-01-19-185750.png

Last edited:

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
Can someone also explain to me why this play with Miller's fault?

dPujJdP.png

On PP's the D down low always pressures the man with the puck down low. I saw it happen on a PP after this goal and Vegas tried this pass again, but it was deflected.

How is Miller supposed to have eyes behind him to watch? Even if he doesn't pressure the man, there's two other Rangers behind him that have eyes on the guy. Miller can't cover the guy he's watching and keep tabs on a guy skating unimpeded into the slot.

Why did Miller get so much shit for something completely not in his control?

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Can someone also explain to me why this play with Miller's fault?

dPujJdP.png

On PP's the D down low always pressures the man with the puck down low. I saw it happen on a PP after this goal and Vegas tried this pass again, but it was deflected.

How is Miller supposed to have eyes behind him to watch? Even if he doesn't pressure the man, there's two other Rangers behind him that have eyes on the guy. Miller can't cover the guy he's watching and keep tabs on a guy skating unimpeded into the slot.

Why did Miller get so much shit for something completely not in his control?
Yea. This one I blame those 3 guys standing around. Just like the play above, why are our guys so oblivious to what's happening? Like you said, the next PP, the same play happened and Trouba did the same thing as Miller did. However Lindgren, the other D, was able to deflect the pass.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
We all know why and let's not be subtle about it either. Like the rest of this team, Laf can't finish plays at all. If you take Bread, and to a lesser extent Tro, Laf's production would be no better than the production of the previous years despite him looking like a different player this year. He's still a pass first player and therefore relies on his line mates to get him points.

This becomes so evident in the GDT where people are screaming about Laf would have x points if y player can just finish a play where he touched the puck.

In any case, despite what I think, they're the only line that pushes 5v5 play. However, if we don't look to move people around, then how would we know if other line combos will work?
On the flip side, laff is a point per game player if he got mika’s PP time. Laff isnt a guy we should be complaining out, hes been one of our best players all year

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
On the flip side, laff is a point per game player if he got mika’s PP time. Laff isnt a guy we should be complaining out, hes been one of our best players all year

I don't think he'd be a PPG player at all, but that's besides the point. I've said I wouldn't mind try him taking Mika's spot on the PP. He crowds that side of the ice anyway when skating with Bread 5v5. ;)

He's not above criticism when talking about how this team doesn't finish their chances, because Laf has had plenty of chances in plenty of games to score himself only to come out empty handed.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011

Not sure what his xG is but the eye test says he should have about 10 more than what he does. Kid couldn't hit the ocean if he was stranded on a tropical island

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad