Vegas Golden Knights

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
So now that the Cinderella run is over, Vegas is in a really tough spot. Should they bet on this team, sign Tavares and Carlsson; trade for Karlsson? I don't think this team can replicate their success and they could screw up their future going all in. On the flip-side they have a pretty unique situation and this could be the time to go for it.

Alternatively the smart, but very depressing decision could be to trade some of Karlsson, JAM, Smith, Fleury etc while their values are at all-time highs. That would be really hard to watch as the fans but it might be their best hope at building a contender with sustained success. If the team is at the bottom of the standings and William Karlsson scores 13 goals next year they'll be kicking themselves for not capitalizing. I don't know what I'd do. What do you guys think?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
So now that the Cinderella run is over, Vegas is in a really tough spot. Should they bet on this team, sign Tavares and Carlsson; trade for Karlsson? I don't think this team can replicate their success and they could screw up their future going all in. On the flip-side they have a pretty unique situation and this could be the time to go for it.

Alternatively the smart, but very depressing decision could be to trade some of Karlsson, JAM, Smith, Fleury etc while their values are at all-time highs. That would be really hard to watch as the fans but it might be their best hope at building a contender with sustained success. If the team is at the bottom of the standings and William Karlsson scores 13 goals next year they'll be kicking themselves for not capitalizing. I don't know what I'd do. What do you guys think?
Don't they have a bunch of picks stockpiled already?

I say talk to your FAs. See how badly they want to keep the band together. If you get reasonable deals go for it. Tavares/Carlsson are gonna be $$$$$$$$$$$ and I'm not sure gutting the team for those two players makes em better.

Obviously it says almost nothing to say it, but yes I agree with you. They are nowhere near as good next season. Even if they keep this team completely intact. Fleury played incredible all year and save for the finals played like an insane man during the playoffs. I doubt some of those SH% stay as high. Teams have beaten the odds for entire seasons before. But they do eventually fall back down to earth.

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Don't they have a bunch of picks stockpiled already?

I say talk to your FAs. See how badly they want to keep the band together. If you get reasonable deals go for it. Tavares/Carlsson are gonna be $$$$$$$$$$$ and I'm not sure gutting the team for those two players makes em better.

Obviously it says almost nothing to say it, but yes I agree with you. They are nowhere near as good next season. Even if they keep this team completely intact. Fleury played incredible all year and save for the finals played like an insane man during the playoffs. I doubt some of those SH% stay as high. Teams have beaten the odds for entire seasons before. But they do eventually fall back down to earth.

They had a ton of picks last year, and have a lot of seconds and thirds (and a ton of fourths, fifths etc) in the coming years, but they moved some of their better picks for Tatar. They should be looking to add more first round picks if they are still looking to rebuild IMO.

They have 26.5 million in cap space next year so that's what makes their situation so unique. They have a ton of space on a team that just went to the finals. They can afford to spend 20 million on big names, and keep essentially all of their current players.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
They had a ton of picks last year, and have a lot of seconds and thirds (and a ton of fourths, fifths etc) in the coming years, but they moved some of their better picks for Tatar. They should be looking to add more first round picks if they are still looking to rebuild IMO.

They have 26.5 million in cap space next year so that's what makes their situation so unique. They have a ton of space on a team that just went to the finals. They can afford to spend 20 million on big names, and keep essentially all of their current players.
Capfriendly is down right now but I was under the impression that big players like Karlsson and JAM and Smith were FA now. 26.5M is a lot, but if they have to sign those guys after the years they just had it doesn't leave a whole lot of room for Tavares and Carlsson. Maybe enough room for one of them.

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Capfriendly is down right now but I was under the impression that big players like Karlsson and JAM and Smith were FA now. 26.5M is a lot, but if they have to sign those guys after the years they just had it doesn't leave a whole lot of room for Tavares and Carlsson. Maybe enough room for one of them.
William Karlsson is an RFA, and James Neal is a UFA, but I think they'll let him walk. Their cap situation is really good.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Vegas has a relatively young team with pretty much the entire team other than Fleury/Neal/Perron/Engelland in their mid 20s

they'll probably regress a bit next year and some of the players will look worse but I think you pretty much have to ride it out,try and add a star if possible and see where it goes

I just don't see any other strategy offering anywhere near the same odds for success at this point

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010

Here's a pretty good article on the situation
Comeback or not, who stays and who goes for Golden Knights this summer? | The Hockey News

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
William Karlsson, Tomas Nosek, William Carrier, Colin Miller and Shea Theodore

is a lot of players to sign... And guys like Shea Theodore seem like they'll be commanding a decent price not to mention Karlsson.

"could be looking in the range of $6 million per season, particularly if Vegas goes the bridge-deal route"

If that happens, it leaves ~$8M for them to go after Tavares/Carlsson. Even if they only signed 2 of them for $12M total, that's enough mostly for 1 major target and then filling out the rest of the roster. It's gonna be tough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad