Confirmed Signing with Link: Vegas Golden Knights sign Vadim Shipachyov (2 yrs, $4.5M AAV)

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Why would vets at that age look to an expansion team? Marleau and Thornton will most likely stay in San Jose or go to a contender.

Money and possibly term. Who knows if they even care that much for a Cup at this point.

I feel Vegas should be desperate to attractive big names in order to kick start their fam base.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I like the move in essence as Vegas is not trying to be like the Thrashers/Jets, Blue Jackets etc. even the Wild and Preds truly haven't had much success in the nearly 2 decades they've been in existence. I'm also glad they got him as the GK got totally screwed this year in regards to their draft pick. Not only was their first ever draft pick in a draft that pre draft is considered the weakest in about 18 years but they actually only got the #6 pick which was the absolute worst they could have gotten.

I mean this is what the previous expansion teams got as their first ever pick

Atlanta/Winnipeg franchise :

#2 overall in 1999. Traded up to #1 overall for a third round pick.

Nashville franchise:

#3 overall in 1998 traded up to #2 overall (#3+2nd rounder for #2+3rd rounder

Minnesota Franchise:

#3 overall in 2000

Columbus Franchise:

#4 overall in 2000

So from the previous 4 newest franchises, 3 out of the 4 all had at least the 3rd pick and the Columbus had #4 and that's due to another expansion team getting #3 ahead of them.

So all 4 previous expansion teams all picked #4 or better. That is what Vegas should have gotten, they should have been locked in at #2-3-4. I can see them automatically getting #1 not fair but 2-4 was fair. Them getting #6 in this draft is horse ****.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
It's why I'm a big proponent of shifting the cap to reflect post tax income. It levels the playing field completely by removing the affect different jurisdictions and rates of taxation have.

In the present model, $4.5 million isn't $4.5 million dollars everywhere. It's anywhere from as much as $4.5 million less US federal income taxation to roughly the $2.25 million it would be in Montreal where you lose 50% in taxes.

That model doesn't just impact players. It impacts the teams that live in those markets. To compete dollar for dollar, they have to offer more money. That means Montreal has to use more cap space to compete for a player.

Agreed completely. Caphits should be rated to taxed income.

And how do you level the playing field for the different climates respective teams have (say Winnipeg vs Dallas/LA/Tampa)? Not everything is equal and that's just life.

Only if money is everything. Teams all have different advantages. Some are more competitive then others, some have bigger budgets then others, some have better/newer facilities, more fans (I don't want to say better ones), some have a better climate, while others are small markets or big markets.

Money is frequently only part of the equation when it comes to why a player signs with team A over team B. Yes it can be a factor and can hamper some teams. But I don't think it's nearly the issue you're suggesting it is.

Okay, then whats the point in having a salary cap, if the salary is not equal across all teams?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If they sign 2 of Dadonov, Kovalchuk and Radulov, and have them play with Shipachyov, will they call it the "Russian Roulette line"?

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Agreed completely. Caphits should be rated to taxed income.

Okay, then whats the point in having a salary cap, if the salary is not equal across all teams?

The point is where do you draw the line. There are all kinds of factors beyond after tax income that get taken in to consideration. In Montreal players make a bit less
salary, but I bet you they get significantly more endorsement deals than in Flordia.

Secondly, it's not a simple calculation to figure out after tax income. Players are taxed on where each individual game is played. Not on where their home city is. So while playing in Montreal is definitely worse tax wise, it's only on the 41 home games or half their salary.

Now imagine trying to calculate the ongoing salary cap for teams over a season as tax rates change from city to city, as your roster changes
from city to city. It would be mayhem.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Yep but still applies to Vegas lol

I think dadanov and radulov are a good bet in Vegas now

Last I read, Radulov wanted to re-sign in Mtl.
Although, with Bergevin as GM, anything is possible...:laugh:
Though I'd love it if Vegas lured Radulov out of Mtl.
Radulov-Shipachyov-Dadonov

Though more likely, Dadonov is an RW and Kovalchuk is LW, and both are available;
Kovalchuk-Shipachev-Dadonov

Maybe Vegas can sign Markov, who is UFA this year, on D as well.
Not really a top pairing guy anymore, but he would be good start to their D. Lots of veteran experience and a good teaching partner. He helped Subban a lot in the early years.

Last edited:

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Yes think from NJD perspective - They get something for nothing, for example if Kovy stays in KHL they get nothing. If they sign and trade to Vegas they could get a first round and maybe couple of other picks out of him. Vegas obviously doesnt give a crap about the salary and get an immediate plug in star forward. It really is the path of least resistance. I dont know if Vegas was on Kovys list of teams tho

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
Yes think from NJD perspective - They get something for nothing, for example if Kovy stays in KHL they get nothing. If they sign and trade to Vegas they could get a first round and maybe couple of other picks out of him. Vegas obviously doesnt give a crap about the salary and get an immediate plug in star forward. It really is the path of least resistance. I dont know if Vegas was on Kovys list of teams tho

I doubt Vegas goes after Kovalchuk. He's 35 and hasn't been in the NHL for a long time. They'd be more interested in getting free players like Dadonov etc. Plenty of Europeans who would like the chance to play in the NHL even if it's for a little less than they could get in Europe.

I can't even imagine the lifestyle of NHL life in Las Vegas.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

A situation that might work would be NJ wanting someone from the unprotected list while not wanting Kovalchuk, Vegas then selects that player and trades him to Jersey for Kovalchuk's rights. Value aside, I can't see them offloading draft picks right now for a 35 year old. Yes, their goal is probably to compete, but they are in a unique situation where they have ZERO prospects.

hd1344

Nov 16, 2012
The Hammer
That would be correct by the NHL. Even though Shipachyov is age 27+, the exact wording of the CBA permitting NTC's requires that the player be a Group 3 UFA to qualify for a NTC/NMC. Shipachyov is a Draft-Related UFA, different category of UFA.

Even though the language might differ, think he'll probably be safe regardless.

Interesting move by Vegas. Gambling on potential and the dearth of expansion forwards. They also need to get to the cap floor, which seems to be a consideration.

Just looking at mock expansion drafts, it seems like many forwards who would be exposed would still be those who would be average or below in terms of salary. While they could maybe make out with a good quality defenceman or two, having to make up cap space by trading for cap space would seem like a lesser option than paying for actual on the ice potential, whether it is achieved or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad