Vegas about to circumvent cap again? UPD: Mark Stone back practicing.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
I would want my team doing it. If it’s allowed then it’s fair game. This is nonsense.
It's not allowed though, it's abusing the system because the league doesn't bother to check whether everything actually lines up. The league not doing there job to upholding the integrity of the game doesn't mean that the act is allowed. It means the proper authorities have failed to do their job.

A player being so injured that he has be be put on LTIR and cannot play for the rest of the regular season, yet is healthy once the playoffs starts, would be a miraculous situation if it happened even once, much less every single year. The odds of a player being truly incapable of playing for weeks, yet being fine enough to play again just a few days after the regular season ends, are negligible. Even more so if it happens multiple years in a row to the exact same player.

What's nonsense is allowing loopholes to continue to exist, or using ridiculous arguments in the mold of "everyone can do it!". Not only is that an utterly horrible approach to basically everything, but it is also wrong. Everyone can do it in the same way that everyone "could" work their way around paying taxes the way ultra-rich people and big companies get to do, which means they can't.

First of all, you need to be in a position were it is even possible, which requires being in a playoff-spot and already being close to the cap. Then you need a rather expensive player with a history of a somewhat fragile health, who you can pretend needs a few weeks of break whenever you feel like it, as his existing ailments need to be of such a kind that they are a reasonable explanation for having him rest for weeks, yet must not be so severe that he might not be ready when you need him. The odds of a player actually being injured at just the right moment for just the right amount of time are slim to say the least.

Cap-exceptions due to LTIR exist for one reason and one reason only: to allow teams to temporarily replace a player while they are operating at the cap. It was never, in any way, shape or from, meant to be gamed in such a way that you can enhance your roster for the playoffs in disregard of the salary cap.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
The only reasonable answer to this conundrum is.....all 31 other teams need to do the same thing next season. Even playing field baby!

Reactions: WhataKnight

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
It's not allowed though, it's abusing the system because the league doesn't bother to check whether everything actually lines up. The league not doing there job to upholding the integrity of the game doesn't mean that the act is allowed. It means the proper authorities have failed to do their job.

A player being so injured that he has be be put on LTIR and cannot play for the rest of the regular season, yet is healthy once the playoffs starts, would be a miraculous situation if it happened even once, much less every single year. The odds of a player being truly incapable of playing for weeks, yet being fine enough to play again just a few days after the regular season ends, are negligible. Even more so if it happens multiple years in a row to the exact same player.

What's nonsense is allowing loopholes to continue to exist, or using ridiculous arguments in the mold of "everyone can do it!". Not only is that an utterly horrible approach to basically everything, but it is also wrong. Everyone can do it in the same way that everyone "could" work their way around paying taxes the way ultra-rich people and big companies get to do, which means they can't.

First of all, you need to be in a position were it is even possible, which requires being in a playoff-spot and already being close to the cap. Then you need a rather expensive player with a history of a somewhat fragile health, who you can pretend needs a few weeks of break whenever you feel like it, as his existing ailments need to be of such a kind that they are a reasonable explanation for having him rest for weeks, yet must not be so severe that he might not be ready when you need him. The odds of a player actually being injured at just the right moment for just the right amount of time are slim to say the least.

Cap-exceptions due to LTIR exist for one reason and one reason only: to allow teams to temporarily replace a player while they are operating at the cap. It was never, in any way, shape or from, meant to be gamed in such a way that you can enhance your roster for the playoffs in disregard of the salary cap.

Hate to lean on a central point here, but if it weren’t allowed, the Vegas Golden Knights would be getting penalized to hell, right now.

At the end of the argument, they likely rested a guy for extra time after an injury which the league’s diligence found valid. Believe it or not - as a Knights fan - I’d prefer the league had a stable mechanism in place that ALL teams were already using. It’s a conundrum.

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
Edmonton's three 1st overall draft picks in a row(4 in 6!?!) forced the NHL to change the draft rules to the detriment of all the league losers after them. Why should it be any different in this situation? A team (Vegas) is blatantly abusing a loophole in the laws of the leaugue. The argument that 'anyone can do it' and 'other teams won't argue because they may be in that situation one day' is straight and utter poo-poo. Vegas has not only broken the 'spirit' of the law in these past few seasons but also the 'spirit' of the game.

Still amazes me that the emergence of Las Vegas as a 'Premiere Sports City' and the blanket legalization of sports gambling in North America occured almost simultaneously. What a coincidence

Last edited:

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
I would want my team doing it. If it’s allowed then it’s fair game. This is nonsense.

Alright. If you can get away with something then it’s fair game!!

With that motto, you basically cannot complain about any missed call or basically anything because, hey they got away with it so fair game!

Rules are in place for a reason and they should be enforced which is where the Knights argument starts. Is the NHL properly enforcing this LTIR rule. 3 years of the Stone spring vacation suggests that is likely not the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: BerthMania

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Alright. If you can get away with something then it’s fair game!!

With that motto, you basically cannot complain about any missed call or basically anything because, hey they got away with it so fair game!

Rules are in place for a reason and they should be enforced which is where the Knights argument starts. Is the NHL properly enforcing this LTIR rule. 3 years of the Stone spring vacation suggests that is likely not the case.
They are not getting away with anything. They are literally following the rule.

Let's punish people for following rules that may benefit them. Geez.

Education system has failed a lot of you.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation

Hey man, you seem switched on.

Come down to the Sahara desert when you have time, because boy do I have some sand to sell you.

Reactions: AzHawk

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona

Spanish has a good expression for situations like this

"el ladron cree que todos son de su condicion"

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Hey man, you seem switched on.

Come down to the Sahara desert when you have time, because boy do I have some sand to sell you.
I am sorry, do you have proof that Vegas was lying about Stone injury?

Aside from being bitter.

I think teams doing all they can to make their team better is good for the product and good for the sport. I am sorry you don't like hockey all that much to not believe that.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
Sand is still here!
Salt still elsewhere, apparently…..

Aside from being bitter.

I think teams doing all they can to make their team better is good for the product and good for the sport. I am sorry you don't like hockey all that much to not believe that.

Shhhh…..then we’ll get 32 more pages of this caca. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: lopper

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
When it all started

Attachments

• kucherov.png
    kucherov.png
    341.7 KB · Views: 2

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008

Aside from being bitter.

What more proof do you need other than he was too hurt to be on the regular roster on Game 82 *BUT* in Game 1 of the Playoffs he scored the series' first goal and played 17 minutes. DO! YOU! BELIEVE! IN! MIRACLES!!!!!

Not a bona fide injury therefore and that's cap circumvention, not "following the rule." It's as clear cut as it gets. And when you get even NHL media types to admit it, you know that the Knights are cheating.

You're right about the last part though.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
Yet they don’t do it as egregiously as Tampa Bay did it.

Until then, they rested an injury prone player a couple extra games, and iced a roster which wouldn’t be regular season compliant a total of once.

People call it cheating out of a desire to see it punished, but as they league hasn’t penalized them yet, I don’t see it.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
Weird thing is hating on any team trying to win.
Here’s your litmus:

If someone gets a choice for owner of a hockey team, and you could pick between Eugene Melnyk, Tom Golisano, Charles Wang and Bill Foley, the Knights already got their 1st cup by the time excuses for the first three are done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad