Vegas about to circumvent cap again? UPD: Mark Stone back practicing.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
1. Yeah, they probably should, at the least, loosen the cap rules anyway. Teams want to spend way over the cap, just let them.

2. Multiple teams have used this mechanic exactly the same way. TB and Chicago won Cups with it. It's not some mysterious Vegas advantage that no one else has access to. Kucherov bragged about it. It's in the rules. Use it.

Tell your favourite team to put their star player on LTIR at the deadline to make some additions then.
Ah yes the cheat as much as everyone else mentality is so great for the league "a couple of other teams did it too" logic while every other team has to essentially follow the cap while other teams don't thanks to circumstances is beyond stupid especially since the playoffs are the most important part of the season.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Maybe the league should just allow trades during the playoffs, when there’s no cap at all

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Ah yes the cheat as much as everyone else mentality is so great for the league "a couple of other teams did it too" logic while every other team has to essentially follow the cap while other teams don't thanks to circumstances is beyond stupid especially since the playoffs are the most important part of the season.

That plus you don’t know when the NHL’s wheel of justice will randomly decide it doesn’t want this anymore and retroactively punish everyone who used it like they did with backdiving 12 year contracts.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
That plus you don’t know when the NHL’s wheel of justice will randomly decide it doesn’t want this anymore and retroactively punish everyone who used it like they did with backdiving 12 year contracts.

I’d love a concise explanation as to why and when the Wild were penalized for the Suter/Parise contracts.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I’d love a concise explanation as to why and when the Wild were penalized for the Suter/Parise contracts.
The Wild were never penalized for the Suter/Parise contracts. Both were bought out and the resulting cap charges are exactly as they would have been before the 2012 lockout and the resulting 2013 CBA.

What the penalty would have been had either quit playing before the end of their contracts? Depends on when we're talking, because the cap capture charge recharge recapture charge recapture capture penalty charge charge was done one way through about .... 2018? Which, that approach was completely asinine and overly punitive [as was the name they gave that, which ... yes, I know what it really was named, and I will still mock it at every chance I get], so the league inexplicably came to its senses and fixed it to what it should have been.

Which ... still didn't apply to the Wild. Or the Blackhawks, when Hossa decided he didn't want to keep playing but only for $1 million a year developed his skin allergy to a jersey that allowed him to be put on LTIR ... and then sent to Phoenix.

Reactions: WhataKnight

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Lol at all the excuses defending it because, "it's not against the rules."

Riddle me this, what's the point of the salary cap? To have an even playing field so rich teams cannot spend top-dollar, leaving teams with lesser means in the gutter, yes? By allocating the same spending money to every team, it's fair, correct?

Now, Vegas has a roster that's like 16M above the cap, yet it's suddenly okay because it isn't against the rules? It violates the very reason the rule was introduced in the first place. By being this much over the cap, it's no longer an even playing field. One team has an 88M roster, the other has a 104M roster. That's not equal.

That's what people are pissed off about, especially given the fact that Stone being ready for game 1 is highly suspicious.
First and foremost, it was about trying to get salary costs under control, the parity side was a mere a by product.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
Lol at all the excuses defending it because, "it's not against the rules."

Riddle me this, what's the point of the salary cap? To have an even playing field so rich teams cannot spend top-dollar, leaving teams with lesser means in the gutter, yes? By allocating the same spending money to every team, it's fair, correct?

Now, Vegas has a roster that's like 16M above the cap, yet it's suddenly okay because it isn't against the rules? It violates the very reason the rule was introduced in the first place. By being this much over the cap, it's no longer an even playing field. One team has an 88M roster, the other has a 104M roster. That's not equal.

That's what people are pissed off about, especially given the fact that Stone being ready for game 1 is highly suspicious.

They’re actually not icing a roster that exceeds the cap.

Game one’s lineup was at 82.2M. Last year’s cup roster was also compliant.

Now, new deals kicking in (Hanifin), this roster could not exist after June 2024 as it is. Stephenson, Mantha and Martinez are likely gone (but find a way keep Marchessault….!!!). They’ve painted themselves into a corner that way,, and several guys will have to walk in order to make room for Hertl/Hanifin. It’s certainly “fast and loose”, but

• Other teams KNOW Vegas does this, and it didn’t stop Calgary & SJ…..TWO division rivals…..from making deals in which they saw benefit

• The 3rd parties monitoring injuries were giving this side-eye last year and this one, and were pleased after doing diligence

• At no point in 2022 or 2023 did they ice a roster that itself was $10M over the cap. TB did pretty blatantly; meanwhile, Vegas’ sketchiest move - resting Mark Stone - actually follows Stone back to Ottawa, where he was on and off IR from January to March while the Sens weren’t contending.

For all the finger pointing, Vegas’ approach to this never put a circa-then 90M roster on the ice.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
the NHL should investigate some of these injuries to make sure they are legit and a team isnt just doing it to bolster their lineup before playoffs.
I just dunno how they could really make it work but u cant just take away LTIR.
LTIR is pretty important and it would effect alot of teams. if they got rid of it. many teams would be SCREWED. the NHL would regularly have to give compliance buyouts

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
the NHL should investigate some of these injuries to make sure they are legit and a team isnt just doing it to bolster their lineup before playoffs.
I just dunno how they could really make it work but u cant just take away LTIR.
LTIR is pretty important and it would effect alot of teams. if they got rid of it. many teams would be SCREWED. the NHL would regularly have to give compliance buyouts

They do investigate.

Kelly McCrimmon actually had paragraphs about it. All this gets diligence by a 3rd party.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
First and foremost, it was about trying to get salary costs under control, the parity side was a mere a by product.
These go hand-in-hand. You cannot divorce the salaries from the rosters and pretend that the league didn’t care about the disparity it engendered.

The cap introduced cost certainty and the insurance that smaller market teams wouldn’t be outbid into irrelevance by larger markets.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Just because you get new folks hurt so your lineup doesn't exceed the cap, it doesn't mean that the impact of having acquired players available to back fill due to Mr. Ready for Game 1's LTIR is lessened.

Saying you are not 100% pretty much ensures the 3rd party medical folks won't force you to come back. Kuch was much the same.

Yes every team can utilize the "loophole", but not all are fortunate enough to have their high end and high priced players get hurt consistently before the deadline and unable to return until game 1.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Just because you get new folks hurt so your lineup doesn't exceed the cap, it doesn't mean that the impact of having acquired players available to back fill due to Mr. Ready for Game 1's LTIR is lessened.

Saying you are not 100% pretty much ensures the 3rd party medical folks won't force you to come back. Kuch was much the same.

Yes every team can utilize the "loophole", but not all are fortunate enough to have their high end and high priced players get hurt consistently before the deadline and unable to return until game 1.
So your saying he should fetch a good price in the offseason :naughty::laugh:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I guess you don't really understand what is going on.

What cheating is happening? Please point to the CBA rule that was broken. The rules are the same for every team.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Bettman and Daly say that LTIR is reviewed by an independent physician.

And Bettman also says fans LOVED the digital ads on the boards....

An independent third-party physician could literally mean anything.
You must pick one of these Simpsons characters to... | ResetEra

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
An independent third-party physician could literally mean anything.
Let's pretend that the league really does just find some Dr. Quack to be the independent physician who'll sign anything on a piece of paper. The implications of that are clear:

1. All the complaining about what the league should do is wasted time and energy, because the league is never implementing any of those proposed rules, because

2. The league has no intent of ever seriously investigating LTIR at the end of a season to determine when a player is fit to play in the regular season vs. when the player is fit to play in the playoffs, because its independent physician will always side with whatever the team says.

🤔 That would almost mean the league doesn't care about this issue at all, and is implicitly green-lighting this kind of activity ... like I've been saying throughout this thread and others when the complaint gets raised.

Reactions: rsteen

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Bettman and Daly say that LTIR is reviewed by an independent physician.

I think that's where Vegas knows their golden.. haha yes a pun for fun.

To be honest I imagine half players in the league could get a doctors approval to not play. Hell I'm probably being generous there. 3/4 of the league could likely get medical clearance if they so chose in order to not play. They all have some bumps and bruises. And while it's accepted in the NHL that you play with them. It's not accepted by everyday society and the medical world.

Doc my toe hurts. yes you have a hairline fracture. Now 99% of the time.. player and team deals with it and it's not even brought up. But a doctor will say.. stay off it.

With the rate they get sued etc. I highly doubt an independent doctor would ever say shit almost ever about even the slightest injury. Hossa's skin condition is a prime example. He could have claimed IR the day after signing his last contract. He played until it was convenient for him not to.

Reactions: PuckG and cptjeff

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
I wonder how long the NFL would put up with some loophole that allowed one team to circumvent their hard cap to load up on talent before the playoffs to win one Super Bowl and then do it again but even worse the following year. I'd guess this would be resolved in about 3 hours.

Meanwhile, in the joke that is the NHL - each team and the head office has their own set of "capologists" actively monitoring player and team salaries in real time to ensure that players cannot receive even one single penny beyond their 50% slice of the overall pie. And since we don't know how big the pie is until the season is over, we have another army of accountants managing escrow and associated payroll and tax deductions related to escrow.

The hard cap is so essential to the sanctity of the league that several teams have had to dress (and PLAY) zamboni drivers as goaltenders for meaningless games in February but not crucial as to prevent one team from gaining a 20% talent advantage when the championship is being decided. Its madness.

:shakehead

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad