Prospect Info: Vasily Glotov (2016, 190th) – '18-19: Cincinnati #92 (ECHL) AHL SPC

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
His twitter enthusiasm is great to see, alright. Almost too great. Who here had him down as a sleeper in May and started his page just to get our hopes up? Matt Martin, probably.

Are we even sure that's his account? Just popping up after the draft seems a tad questionable, at least.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Are we even sure that's his account? Just popping up after the draft seems a tad questionable, at least.

The account's getting retweeted by Cape Breton's twitter account so either it's him or whoever runs their social media isn't doing due diligence.

CaseyMitts37

Mar 2, 2013
Buffalo

Well his girlfriend tagged his account in some photos if you look in his liked tweets, so I'm pretty sure it's him

But I thought it was a fake account at first as well

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
No. I would have thrown the skeptic flag immediately if the account was started in June, but May is slightly more credible. Hopefully he'll be around and we'll get it all sorted out in a week at dev camp.

It's probably just Tim Murray trying to put the bias narrative to rest. Hell, we're probably being Tsujimoto'd again--outside of a highlights package and a local fan (astroturfing?) do we have proof this kid exists?

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
Is this because he is coming to NA?

Or because he's scored more goals than the other draftees since being drafted?

Is this "leadership by Twitter" that Healey is talking about?

Or is this due to the Devante effect?

(And you didn't think the berating would happen this early?)

IDK what "Healey" or "Devante" refer to.

He obviously has some flaws (size, Russian obscurity, overaged) but that's really the only way you can get a skillset like this in the 7th round.

Draft pedigree is certainly one thing to consider but I'm also going to put stock in what we see in camp this year. Based on what I've read and seen so far, I have a good feeling about how he's going to stack up once he's on the same sheet of ice as his draftmates. I also think that playing in Cape Breton next year gives him a better chance than most shot-in-the-dark Russian prospects.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He's as small as Panarin and Kane, a little bit lighter, but yeah, it's a big problem for a 18 yo kid... He plays that kind of game, that wins you the Cup in the modern NHL. Of course, it's not enough, when just one or two guys play this way, but Buffalo is a very talented young team. I see a problem in Vasily's position though. He's a center, and Buffalo won't need more centers for the next 6 or 7 years.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
There's an increasingly common belief that coming over to the CHL is bad for the development of Russian players. It's hard to grep cause and effect in this situation, but it can't be disputed that most Russian CHLers have underwhelmed significantly at the next level relative to earlier expectations. Anyhow, Glotov's case is different from the norm as he's coming over for what is his draft+2 season whereas most Russian CHLers come over for their draft year or earlier.

Hehe, you can see a good example in that kid Grigorenko... Of course, it's hard to say now, but if he hadn't come to CHL and stayed in Russia, he would have perhaps been a solid starter on the team and not somewhere else right now.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
He's as small as Panarin and Kane, a little bit lighter, but yeah, it's a big problem for a 18 yo kid... He plays that kind of game, that wins you the Cup in the modern NHL. Of course, it's not enough, when just one or two guys play this way, but Buffalo is a very talented young team. I see a problem in Vasily's position though. He's a center, and Buffalo won't need more centers for the next 6 or 7 years.

Him being a center shouldn't be a problem. Panarin, Kane, Gaudreau all play wing. If Glotov plays a similar style as it appears he does in the highlights I've seen, then his skills should transition there so long as he has the opportunity to carry the puck a lot, which he would if he were playing with O'Reilly or Reinhart. Reinhart and O'Reilly are both capable of playing wing as well, so if Glotov makes it as a quality player for us, it'll work itself out. I'm excited to see how his career progresses.

billsandsabres

lurking
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
troy, ny
my sense is that the language barrier is not creating a false perception of excitment; the kid seems genuinely jacked up. excited to hear some first hand accounts of his play in dev camp.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I've reached the Buffalo :laugh:

In the Russian language there are no definite or indefinite articles. So when speaking English, Russian speakers sometimes have trouble figuring out what article to use or when and when not to use them.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
This is easily the most hype a Buffalo 7th rounder has ever received so close to the draft. I'm excited to see what he can do...committing to the CHL has elevated his status in a major way and I love that he's so excited to get here for Dev Camp.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
This is easily the most hype a Buffalo 7th rounder has ever received so close to the draft. I'm excited to see what he can do...committing to the CHL has elevated his status in a major way and I love that he's so excited to get here for Dev Camp.
This is rather pg-rated compared to the epic Benjamin Breault-Bro-a-thon around these parts in late June '06.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I'm more excited for our 7th round pick then anyone else in this draft besides Nylander and Asplund

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
This is rather pg-rated compared to the epic Benjamin Breault-Bro-a-thon around these parts in late June '06.

I admit that I was pretty shocked when he didn't get an ELC and we just let the rights expire. Seems pretty clear it was the right move though.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

I wasn't here back then and don't remember the guy but I can see why some of you would have been excited.

71363468-benjamin-breault-of-the-buffalo-sabres-poses-gettyimages.jpg

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York
Vasily Bizyayev had quite a bit of hype for a 7th round pick as well, and look how he fared. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but we'd be better served if we were to remain cautiously optimistic. I mean, he is a 7th round pick.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
In the Russian language there are no definite or indefinite articles. So when speaking English, Russian speakers sometimes have trouble figuring out what article to use or when and when not to use them.

In Soviet Russia, we have only the State-sponsored articles
latest

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
He was an overager, weighs 160 pounds, and plays in the MHL. Scouting/drafting out of the MHL seems like it's an extremely inexact science for NHL organizations.
Thank you.

To be fair, he's only overage by 11 days. He was born 13 days before Auston Matthews was. If he was taken last year he probably would have been the youngest player drafted.
When I was 18, I was the same size, strong as hell, and in great shape / college athlete. There remains room in the NHL for smaller skill talent.

As Paxon says, shouldn't be a problem. Buffalo wouldn't have picked him if they didn't think he had a shot / some upside.

Him being a center shouldn't be a problem. Panarin, Kane, Gaudreau all play wing. If Glotov plays a similar style as it appears he does in the highlights I've seen, then his skills should transition there so long as he has the opportunity to carry the puck a lot, which he would if he were playing with O'Reilly or Reinhart. Reinhart and O'Reilly are both capable of playing wing as well, so if Glotov makes it as a quality player for us, it'll work itself out. I'm excited to see how his career progresses.
Instantly my favorite prospect. Hopefully pans out better than Linus Omark.

My Chinese colleagues use articles as often as I am struck by lightning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad