Value of: Vasili Podkolzin as RFA next summer?

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Not sure what OP's strange issue/obsession is with Podkolzin; it's as if they think Podz's nhl career is finished at 22 years old, only a dozen games after his call-up. He's looked pretty good, forechecked really well, but just struggled to find the back of the net.

Of coarse they will re-sign him, like, this is a no-brainer. Op is out to lunch here

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
It's a slam dunk we re-sign him as we need him and his low salary on the bottom 6. Who knows he might even break the middle 6 next year. He's shown he's not a liability on defensive side. Just needs some confidence on offensive game. He was top ten pick and was considered a top possible 5 pick at one time he's got talent.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Broberg, turcotte, among other 2019ers struggling to find their role in the nhl. There’s really no need for something like this since I can easily find at least 20 top 10 prospects that have struggled just a bad. It does to show drafting is easy as we think even with a high pick.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I sure as hell would sign Podkolzin as a Caps fan, and it is considering that we don't have an open RW spot for a prospect.
At worst, he's a cheap player who can be traded for a low draft pick and can help an AHL team.
At best, if he breaks out, it's a cheap young NHL player who has some skills and doesn't shy away from the dirty areas.
Decent reward, next to zero risk. I'll be surprised if Vancouver doesn't offer him a contract.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Not sure what OP's strange issue/obsession is with Podkolzin; it's as if they think Podz's nhl career is finished at 22 years old, only a dozen games after his call-up. He's looked pretty good, forechecked really well, but just struggled to find the back of the net.

Of coarse they will re-sign him, like, this is a no-brainer. Op is out to lunch here
He also has little return value given ELC ends.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Cheap with term should be the goal with Pods.
Get him 3 years at $1.5m and enjoy the fruits of that investment.

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
He's still got potential and I think he might yet still become a good 30ish point physical presence in the bottom six, but he's barely in the NHL at this point.

Trading him would be pointless and would get you a 3rd rounder or equivalent C+ prospect, and he'd probably jump at getting the guaranteed money of a 1-way contract. They should try and do 2x 850k to give him a nice assured paycheck. If he develops then great you've got him for 1 extra year and then he's an RFA after that, if not, then you can easily just bury the contract.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
RFA this summer,
can't see Canucks not offering a QO
also offer sheet to a guy so unproven seems unlikely

if he wants to go home this summer, Canucks would still retain his rights, til he's 27

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
There's absolutely zero reason not to even bother qualifying him. :laugh:

He'll either be dirt cheap playing on that QO or something very similar, or he'll get a $1.1M x 2 Years sort of "prove it" fringe deal with a little upside, just like Hoglander, who was in a similar position when he signed his deal last year, which is now an absolute steal for this year and next year as well.

It's looking more and more likely that Podkolzin is never going to have the sort of offensive upside that was hoped for with the 10th pick...but he's shown plenty of indication that he's at least an NHL capable bottom-6 grinder. Like a lot of those types of player, he's going to be inconsistent and "streaky" offensively depending on how his confidence is riding. With long droughts of little production likely.

But Vancouver will need cheap depth that can play in the next few years. Podkolzin is still as reasonable an "upside" gamble as you're going to find for that sort of role. Where if he plays as a responsible 4th liner, disappointing but whatever. If he finds some more scoring touch and moves up the lineup a bit, that's gravy.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad