Speculation: Vancouver interested in Mantha?

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
For most of his time in DC, Mantha has been a disappointment, but he started scoring this year, using his size, and is playing like he wants a shot at the playoffs. He got a little dinged up recently, but it doesn't seem serious.

The Caps might do better to do separate deals and split up Mantha and Edmundson. I'm not sure a package gets them as much return. Both players are very available, though.

Reactions: Marshall

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
For most of his time in DC, Mantha has been a disappointment, but he started scoring this year, using his size, and is playing like he wants a shot at the playoffs. He got a little dinged up recently, but it doesn't seem serious.

The Caps might do better to do separate deals and split up Mantha and Edmundson. I'm not sure a package gets them as much return. Both players are very available, though.
Pretty easy answer, contract year. Classic Mantha.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
I think we can take Edmundson out. Mikheyev + 3rd? Add someone like a Greenway to stash in the bottom-6 and I think we'd be tough to beat.

Petey - Lindholm - Mantha (two elite passers with a sniper)
Hoglander - Miller - Boeser (speedy, tenacious duo in 21 and 9, with a sniper in Boeser)
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Greenway* - Aman - Lafferty (add some skilled size that can move up when the going gets tough)

Hughes - Hronek
Cole - Myers (I'm good with this pair, Cole has been great with TM)

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
2024 2nd rounder with salary retention i'd say. Caps don't have 2nd this summer.

If nobody offers that, then take the best offer on the deadline day. I'd guess they get that late 2nd from someone.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I think we can take Edmundson out. Mikheyev + 3rd? Add someone like a Greenway to stash in the bottom-6 and I think we'd be tough to beat.

Hoglander - Miller - Boeser (speedy, tenacious duo in 21 and 9, with a sniper in Boeser)
Greenway* - Aman - Lafferty (add some skilled size that can move up when the going gets tough)

Hughes - Hronek
Mikheyev is a decent player but he's tailed off quite a bit and I don't think anyone takes him for free

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia

Hughes - Hronek
I think you can probably take Mikheyev and his two more years under contract out too. The third would be in the range of what he probably nets the Caps, perhaps more (2nd?) if they retain significantly.

Canucks fans keep saying Mikheyev is fine, you'd be a fool not to take him, but they also keep trying to move him and he doesn't mesh with his coach. I don't really see Carbery liking his attention to defense, or lack thereof, either.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Mikheyev seems like a fine player to me, although admittedly I’m still judging him from his Toronto days. I’m not opposed to his inclusion in a trade but I also believe VAN would like a little more cap breathing room this summer and moving his contract is probably their best option to do that

Reactions: BHD and David71

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I think you can probably take Mikheyev and his two more years under contract out too. The third would be in the range of what he probably nets the Caps, perhaps more (2nd?) if they retain significantly.

Canucks fans keep saying Mikheyev is fine, you'd be a fool not to take him, but they also keep trying to move him and he doesn't mesh with his coach. I don't really see Carbery liking his attention to defense, or lack thereof, either.
Mikheyev's strength is defense and on the PK so if you are implying the opposite you're mistaken. I don't think any nuck fan actively wants him gone it's just that he was brought in to be a top six guy and up until 25 games ago he was on his way to repeating his success from last year before they shut him down.

So now in order to upgrade our top six a contract has to go and only him, Myers or Garland create that option and of the three he makes the most sense.

We would love nothing more than see him find chemistry like he had last year with Petey who isn't the easiest guy to mesh with

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Mikheyev seems like a fine player to me, although admittedly I’m still judging him from his Toronto days. I’m not opposed to his inclusion in a trade but I also believe VAN would like a little more cap breathing room this summer and moving his contract is probably their best option to do that
He's a really useful player who had great chemistry with Petey which is not easy. For whatever reason that's not the case and that unfortunately makes him not as valuable to the club as his 4 million cap hit.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
A 1st for anything related to cap dump Mantha would be a tragic trade. Even if you’re dumping a player.

If you’re moving a 1st needs to be for a stud.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

He had knee surgery last season and it's clearly hobbled him this year. He's noticeably slower with way less bursts. Earlier in the year he was still able to get to the right spots but that has completely dried up. Works hard but is accomplishing nothing. Really the only guy on the roster not pulling his weight.

Given his surgery timeline, I wouldn't be surprised if he rebounds next season. He's smart, works hard, and generates a bunch of chances (but can't lift the puck at all). So there's a bunch of risk in taking him.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
This is an overpayment for the Canucks. Even Caps fans were calling Manta a cap dump not that long ago and her certainly hasn't been light out this year.

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
The thing with Mikheyev is he hasn't had the same speed since his knee injury, and that was his big draw in the first place. He likely picks it up next season since those tend to take 18 months to be fully healthy again, but that doesn't help us right now. I think if we deal him, there's a very solid chance he rebounds because he's still a really smart player and a very good PKer, but he's not cutting it right now.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
fwiw washington offered mantha for garland earlier this year and van was a no for that

i strongly assume mikheyev would be a part of this with some sweetener

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
It has to include Mikheyev or else I don’t see a path forward for this trade. Don’t think it makes sense for Washington unless there’s a third team like Chicago coming in to absorb.

VanOriginal

Jun 15, 2019
Mantha isn't getting a 2nd lest of all a 1st. Mik is off this yr due to knee surgery recovery, he will be back better next yr, there isn't much of a difference between Mantha and Mik, no upgrade here, I see this as a downgrade. Mik is better defensively. Don't see Nucks moving next yrs 1st for a rental, it will be for a player with at least a yr or rfa.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
washington has the forward already to replace him in Miroshnichenko, so really no need for a forward back

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
This is an overpayment for the Canucks. Even Caps fans were calling Manta a cap dump not that long ago and her certainly hasn't been light out this year.
He’s definitely been lights out, part of that is his shooting percentage is higher this year but he’s been driving offense, almost exclusively at 5v5. It’s not like he’s just cashing in on the PP, he’s been scoring a lot as just a middle 6 winger. One of the most efficient 5v5 scorers this year

If you can get him for a 2nd that’s pretty good value. Not sure about the proposed trade above but yeah if you’re dumping the Mikheyev contract it’s probably up to a 1st and Mantha can be retained to 50%

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He’s definitely been lights out, part of that is his shooting percentage is higher this year but he’s been driving offense, almost exclusively at 5v5. It’s not like he’s just cashing in on the PP, he’s been scoring a lot as just a middle 6 winger. One of the most efficient 5v5 scorers this year

If you can get him for a 2nd that’s pretty good value. Not sure about the proposed trade above but yeah if you’re dumping the Mikheyev contract it’s probably up to a 1st and Mantha can be retained to 50%

:laugh: The bolded is a bit of an understatement. :laugh:

This year, Mantha is shooting at more or less double his typical rate. You'd think Canucks fans would have a better grip on unsustainable scoring results after watching Kuzmenko come right back down to earth this year, and being happy dealing him away as a result. Someone like Mantha scoring at over 21% this year, when he's been consistently in the 10-12% range through the entire rest of his career, is all sorts of red flag. That's buying into a mirage that's entirely liable to collapse just in time for the stretch run and playoffs that they'd ostensibly want him for.

• Haha
Reactions: David71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad