GDT: Vancouver Hughes @ Colorado Makars | 8pm MT | Emergency No Effort GDT

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
There was a shift in the 3rd period where Petterson stole the puck from Makar, Makar proceeded to hit Petterson 3 times steals the puck and made sure nothing came off his turnover.

Then a shift or two later he makes the unreal poke and breakaway goal to ice the game. These are plays that only he makes.

That was all Cale’s competitive fire.

I’ve mentioned this before, but his competitive fire burns as hot as any player in NHL history. It’s just in the form of one of the nicest guys ever. He’s Peter Forsberg without the temper.

All he was probably thinking on that play was some version of, “We lost last game because of an unfortunate turnover by me, there’s no way in hell this turnover is ending up in the back of my net again.”

And you can see that in other plays too. He’ll make a mistake and he wants to make up for it immediately. Not next game. The next shift. It’s part of what makes him so great.

And he very genuinely has said some very complimentary things about his peers like Hughes and Fox, but at the same time, you can tell he wants to beat them badly. He wants to outperform them. Probably why he was so pumped during his celly.

He’ll never say it, but he wants to show he’s the top dog. He’s had the same competition with Josi in the past too. When he plays these guys, he somehow finds an extra gear.

I bet when he plays board games he takes it very seriously and probably wins most of the time too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad