Pre-Game Talk: Vancouver @ Edmonton, 6:00PM Pacific, SN1, SN650

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
The first of two pre-season matchups for the two teams, before finally kicking off the regular season against totally new opponents, yup don't fact check it.

Edmonton:

Vancouver:

Based on practice lines yesterday, the Canucks will probably line up like:
Garland - Petersson - Chiasson
Petan - Miller - Podkolzin
Bailey - Dickenson - MacEwen/Lockwood
Dries - Focht - MacEwen/Lockwood

The last two lines are unknown..

Hughes - Poolman
Rathbone - Bowey
Hunt - Burroughs

Halak
Demko

Let's keep this thread to the game and line up decisions. Any other happenings (Gadjovich being claimed) can stay in the other threads.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Edmonton with the far superior lineup in this one..Probably the only chance we will have is if the Oiler goalie does what Oiler goalies do best.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I'm wondering if Miller might not be the center for Podz to be breaking in with.
Miller is pretty unconventional, and probably difficult for a rookie to predict how to play off of ...
He seemed a lot more effective last game playing with a straight forward Dowling.

Thinking Podz might be a good fit along side Sutter... (odd to say)

Hoping to see some Miller-Podz clicks tonight to blow my theory up...

Good to see EP, JH and Bailey back.. late to the party but here.
Boeser continues to miss... is he at least skating? It would really bum me out if he's dealing with a lower body injury... He's player that can NOT afford to have his skating hindered..

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Could be in for a tough night, but I'm looking forward to seeing Petey, Quinn and Podz.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Why is Dries and Focht still here
I guess all we can say, is that the Canucks obviously evaluate players far differently than a lot of posters on these boards. I thought Gadjovich had a far better camp that either of those two guys, but then what do I know?

Although Focht had a pretty uneventful season in Utica, it's apparent the Canucks valued him a lot higher than the departed Gadjovich. ?But it was much the same with Rafferty. A 'breakthrough' campaign in the AHL mattered little when it came time to assess his ability to play in the NHL.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
I think Focht is the new Chatfeild. AHL player given multiple opportunities to stick because of lack of depth over much more deserving players

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Most teams have their full rosters set and are fielding full teams. Meanwhile, half of our team is still waiver fodder. Interesting but not surprising.

Welp. I hope they try Rathbone - Burroughs though

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Boy howdy Dries, Focht, Petan and to a lesser extent Highmore, Chiasson, and MacEwan do not deserve to still be here with only 2 pre-season games remaining to get chemistry together

Yeah, there’s a lot of “no chance in hell” guys still hanging around. It’s a bit bizarre.

MacEwen, Chiasson and Highmore are legitimately still in the hunt for spots - but guys like Dries and Focht certainly aren’t.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Could be ugly tonight if McJesus and Draisaitl bring their 'A' game to the rink.

Interesting that Bowey draws back in, and the fact that he's still up with the big club in the last week of pre-season has to qualify as a bit of a surprise. He'll be a guy to watch. With Hamonic gone and Scheen looking every bit the depth defender at best, the right side is still a bit of black hole.

Would like to see the Bowey-Rathbone pairing again. If they can survive the onslaught from the Oilers, the Canucks might on to something. At the very least, they might the top pairing in Abbotsford.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Bowey - Rathbone would be one of the 5 worst bottom pairs in the league and would get caved in every single game.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Could be ugly tonight if McJesus and Draisaitl bring their 'A' game to the rink.

Interesting that Bowey draws back in, and the fact that he's still up with the big club in the last week of pre-season has to qualify as a bit of a surprise. He'll be a guy to watch. With Hamonic gone and Scheen looking every bit the depth defender at best, the right side is still a bit of black hole.

Would like to see the Bowey-Rathbone pairing again. If they can survive the onslaught from the Oilers, the Canucks might on to something. At the very least, they might the top pairing in Abbotsford.
It most certainly could..I remember we beat the Oilers in game #1 last season...In game #2, McDavid literally ripped the Canucks a new one.

Probably the most dominant performance by a single player against the Canucks, I have ever seen.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'm wondering if Miller might not be the center for Podz to be breaking in with.
Miller is pretty unconventional, and probably difficult for a rookie to predict how to play off of ...
He seemed a lot more effective last game playing with a straight forward Dowling.

Thinking Podz might be a good fit along side Sutter... (odd to say)

Well Miller has kind of taken Pods under his wing and obviously Miller is the type of player you want Pods to become rather than Sutter.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Should be entertaining at the very least I dont see either team getting a shutout

I am not sure about that. Look at the lineups. I think this is more one sided than the other roster differences. Head shaker that we are still trotting all these AHL player out there

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Edmonton’s opening roster VS. Our AHL scraps, we are going to get blown out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad