Proposal: Vancouver-Buffalo

Bjornar Moxnes

From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I was thinking would something along the lines of Hronek for Ostlund (Or another great but not untouchable prospect), Jokiharju, and like a 2nd rounder work?

Hronek is due for a big raise, which Canucks may not be able to afford. Sabres have the cap space and would like an upgrade on RHD. Canucks get cap relief, allowing them to keep a lot of other important pieces like Zadorov, Lindholm, Joshua, and also get more depth with a strong prospect that could contribute sooner than later for them.

Reactions: Jacob582

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Buffalo is not trading Ostlund. He’s a center in their depth while others are more wingers. they could draft another C in the draft at 11OA.

their pother drafted players are mainly wingers. Savoie and Kulich might be centers.

Buffalo does not have the cap space. They might have some next year but if you look in25/26 and 26/27 they have big problems.

If say he was 1 yr to UFA on a lower contract would be a better option.

As it stands now they likely trade Jokiharju because of the cap.

next year the forecasted roster assuming no trades would be something like

Samuelsson(4.29)-Dahlin 11
Byram(3.85)-Power(8.35)
Johnson(ELC)-Cliffton(3.33)
vet (1)

UPL(4)
Levi(ELC)

if the cap is 87.7---3/7 should be allocated ideally for D/G which would be about 37.6. Above totals to 3around that 37.6 with Byram getting an increase is 2025 is just undoable even if cliffton ending and replaced with an ELC/1M

2025--Quinn, Peterka, Levi are ending their ELCs, Greenway is a UFA they might want to keep
2026--Tuch to resign, and Benson ELC ends.
there are a few others contracts with ELCs/bridges

If they were to acquire Hronek they would need to move out Power/Byram/Samuelsson (unlikely)

-----------ROSTER --------------

This summer with their cap friendly roster

8/5/0 at 65M

5M for 2 G , 4M for UPL, and 1M for vet backup with Levi playing in Rochester and called up and play 15 games

8/5/2 70M

Ryan Johnson as 3rd LD and a vet for 7D for maybe combined 2.5M
8/7/2 at $72.5M

Krebs as an RFA is resigned and 2 ELCs play (Savoie, Kulich) for $3M
they sign 2 4th line vets for $4.5M

13/7/2 at $80M for 24/25

They have room for a 1 yr rental at $6M

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Buffalo is not trading Ostlund. He’s a center in their depth while others are more wingers. they could draft another C in the draft at 11OA.

their pother drafted players are mainly wingers. Savoie and Kulich might be centers.

Buffalo does not have the cap space. They might have some next year but if you look in25/26 and 26/27 they have big problems.

If say he was 1 yr to UFA on a lower contract would be a better option.

As it stands now they likely trade Jokiharju because of the cap.

next year the forecasted roster assuming no trades would be something like

Samuelsson(4.29)-Dahlin 11
Byram(3.85)-Power(8.35)
Johnson(ELC)-Cliffton(3.33)
vet (1)

UPL(4)
Levi(ELC)

if the cap is 87.7---3/7 should be allocated ideally for D/G which would be about 37.6. Above totals to 3around that 37.6 with Byram getting an increase is 2025 is just undoable even if cliffton ending and replaced with an ELC/1M

2025--Quinn, Peterka, Levi are ending their ELCs, Greenway is a UFA they might want to keep
2026--Tuch to resign, and Benson ELC ends.
there are a few others contracts with ELCs/bridges

If they were to acquire Hronek they would need to move out Power/Byram/Samuelsson (unlikely)
ah fair looks like I overestimated their cap space. For the longest time they seemed to have like trillions of cap space.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
ah fair looks like I overestimated their cap space. For the longest time they seemed to have like trillions of cap space.
-------------------------

This summer with their cap friendly roster

8/5/0 at 65M

5M for 2 G , 4M for UPL, and 1M for vet backup with Levi playing in Rochester and called up and play 15 games

8/5/2 70M

Ryan Johnson as 3rd LD and a vet for 7D for maybe combined 2.5M
8/7/2 at $72.5M

Krebs as an RFA is resigned and 2 ELCs play (SAvoie, Kulich) for $3M
they sign 2 4th line vets for $4.5M

13/7/2 at $80M

If he was a 1 yr to RFA/UFA player then maybe but they need to be careful in their cap.

in summ25 with Levi, Peterka, Quinn are RFAs and Greenway is a UFA it might be about an $8M increase in their cap space with 3.5M bridges for Peterka and Quinn for 2 years till Skinner ends.

24/25 80/87.7M

25/26 88/92

26/27 93/92
Tuch resign , Bensonsigned to bridge. that may be an increase of $5M from current pay.

27/28 /94
Skinner 9M comes off but they will have a bunch of ELCs/bridges to sign

I think Buffalo is in the market for a RD, prefer something cheaper than what Jokiharju would cost to resign( expect $4M from arbitration) who could have some years of team control.

Buffalo could look at trading Peterka who is an RFA next summer with a projected 3.5M cap hit in 25/26 could be something traded if a player who hads a higher than $4M contract comes back

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I was thinking would something along the lines of Hronek for Ostlund (Or another great but not untouchable prospect), Jokiharju, and like a 2nd rounder work?

Hronek is due for a big raise, which Canucks may not be able to afford. Sabres have the cap space and would like an upgrade on RHD. Canucks get cap relief, allowing them to keep a lot of other important pieces like Zadorov, Lindholm, Joshua, and also get more depth with a strong prospect that could contribute sooner than later for them.
Seems like you're underselling Hronek a little. I'd figure that if they were trading Hronek (of which I'm dubious).....they'd want a good young player and a 1st coming back.

Ostlund isn't really a "sooner rather that later" prospect either -- he's likely ticketed to the AHL for at least one full season. If you're looking for Buffalo forward prospects who are basically NHL ready: you likely want Savoie, Kulich or Rosen.

And frankly.....to get a really good young RHD like Hronek? You can have either one of those 3, pick 11 and Jokiharju.

Also -- ignore djp above -- you'll never get them to trade any of our prospects. Ever.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Ostlund is definitely available, but as DJP stated, we just can't make Hronek work on cap.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Ostlund is definitely available, but as DJP stated, we just can't make Hronek work on cap.
Before we moved Mittelstadt I'd say it was much more likely Ostlund could be moved. Now I doubt it.
I do like the idea of pursuing another RD to solidify our blueline going forward. I don't know if Hronek is the ideal fit, but I'd certainly entertain the idea.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
all prospects are available for the right piece. I do not count Benson or Levi in that tho

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Our roster losing Hronek, and adding Ostlund and Jokiharju, make us so much worse. Ostlund seems to be a promising prospect, but the Canucks are in win now mode, and we'd be seeking players, or ideally a single player, that would match the impact Hronek has had on our roster.

We have a lot of UFAs and RFAs, but Hronek is head and shoulders above any other free agents.

Hronek, Joshua, Silovs and Zadorov should be priorities, and guys like Myers, Blueger, Lafferty, Cole, Lindholm, Friedman, DeSmith, and other Abbotsford players would all be secondary.

We have $27,278,333 in cap space to start the offseason, so more than enough to sign the priority players, and the rest can spot fill the roster if they're willing to play ball, salarywise, or be replaced internally or with a couple late UFAs signing for low cap hit deals (like Blueger and Suter last off season).

Thank you, but no thank you to the original offer.

Last edited:
Reactions: biturbo19

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
This is not a dig at Hronek or Van fans at all but I have less than zero interest in this.

Cap doesnt work.

Not the dman we need.

I'd just as soon sign a Dillon type with no assets attached.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Hronek will be overpaid for what he contributes. But Canucks will still have to bite the bullet, because his combination of attributes as a RHD is rarely available, if ever. While Myers has rehabilitated his value, I don't see Canucks trading Hronek, at least until they know Willander is a surefire top pair RD.

Reactions: Fatass

UED

May 2, 2021
they have peterka/thompson/tuch/benson/cozens/quinn/skinner/dahlin/power/byram and even savoie/kulich. what are they gonna do with hronek that they cant already do with what they have, they need 2 more samuelssons instead.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Seems like you're underselling Hronek a little. I'd figure that if they were trading Hronek (of which I'm dubious).....they'd want a good young player and a 1st coming back.

Ostlund isn't really a "sooner rather that later" prospect either -- he's likely ticketed to the AHL for at least one full season. If you're looking for Buffalo forward prospects who are basically NHL ready: you likely want Savoie, Kulich or Rosen.

And frankly.....to get a really good young RHD like Hronek? You can have either one of those 3, pick 11 and Jokiharju.

Also -- ignore djp above -- you'll never get them to trade any of our prospects. Ever.
Actually Rosen instead of Ostlund would probably work better for Canucks anyawys since he looks to be a promising winger.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

Absolutely. Canucks can trade Garland and Suter for cap relief.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Because the Sabres are in a mode to move more "futures" for "now" and the Canucks are also in a real obvious "win now" mode...The only way i can even envision this sort of deal working, is if they were to basically get Vegas involved as a quasi-three-way trade. Based on some fans murmuring that Vegas might be willing to ship Shea Theodore out to shave some cap, and don't plan to extend him beyond next year.

If there's a package Buffalo could offer that the Canucks could basically flip directly to Vegas for Theodore and a strong degree of confidence that he'd sign a reasonable enough deal as a hometown kid with Vancouver...maybe there's something that works there. But even in that case...Hronek has his faults, but he's worked so well with Hughes. I'm not sure you mess with that, unless you're really unhappy with Hronek's salary demands.

That package Vegas would want is probably not far off from Vancouver recouping and then flipping what they spent on Hronek in the first place anyway though. Or even more cumbersome, it's probably something like one of Benson/Savoie/Quinn that Vegas would want...as a rough equivalent to Pick 17 + 43 last year. Might just make it a non-starter for Buffalo, which would be understandable.

It would also just be a massive undertaking with all sorts of weird moving pieces that's hard to sort out. Though Alvin and the Chipmunks have proven that they can figure out ways to make trades work.

I just don't see it happening though. More likely, the Canucks just prioritize getting a deal done with Hronek...and try to cut some corners somewhere else. For all his flaws...he's still been a huge part of the blueline this year, and Hughes has taken another huge step playing alongside him. Even if the idea of paying a $6M defenceman like Hronek $7-8M+ because he has the good fortune of working with Hughes, is kind of annoying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad