Confirmed with Link: [VAN/WIN] Canucks acquire 2022 3rd Round Pick for D Nate Schmidt (Part 2)

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
The thing is Shaw was brought in to run the PP?

Actually I think his role has more power than the other assistants. Really hope he teaches Hughes/Rathbone how to defend.

I don't know a lot about the guy, and I'm sure he's fine as a coach...but I think his "legend" is overblown. He gets credit for Werenski, Jones, Parayko and Pietrangelo? Why? They were extremely high end prospects with a low fail percentage to begin with.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
The thing is Shaw was brought in to run the PP?

Actually I think his role has more power than the other assistants. Really hope he teaches Hughes/Rathbone how to defend.

Maybe things have changed since then but the plan from what Drance was able to fish out:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Well, that sucks. Here's a guy who was a top pairing guy on one of the best teams in the league, comes here for a year and says f*** this, gone! after one year. And the guy who lived in Vegas was willing to waive for Winnipeg.

Bye, Schmidt. Sorry you weren't around longer.

Reactions: Johnathon Tanner

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Well, that sucks. Here's a guy who was a top pairing guy on one of the best teams in the league, comes here for a year and says f*** this, gone! after one year. And the guy who lived in Vegas was willing to waive for Winnipeg.

Bye, Schmidt. Sorry you weren't around longer.
Didnt he say he didnt want to go to Winnipeg like yesterday?

Reactions: Get North

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I didn't get a chance to go through the other thread yet, but I have to wonder how unhappy he was here that they HAD to move him now. Think about how much his value would have gone up if they tried to move him at the trade deadline.

i haven’t looked at our capfriendly in a while but don’t we need to dump his cap so we can resign petey and hughes and still have enough left over to ice a full roster?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
How many times has dim jim acquired someone only to get rid of them next year

off the top of my head, bonino, mccann, clendening, pedan, prust, schenn, toffoli, holtby, schmidt

but i feel like i’ve completely blocked out the entire middle years of this nightmare

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm thinking that Schmidt must have had some sort of run-in with the coaching staff or the club over something. Of course he never wanted to be traded here in the first place.

But what's kind of jarring is the fact that Schmidt is such a positive guy. But I guess when you're used to being one of the top dogs in Vegas and then coming to a lousy team like Vancouver and having your ice time cut, was just too much. Wish him well in Winnipeg.

In the end, he was a casualty of the OEL acquisition. His salary, along with Hughes who has to get paid, means there's just no room for a guy like Schmidt who's earning close to $6m a season.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
This was salary dump for the team. He was playing nothing like a 6 mill player and there was nothing to indicate that this was going to change. Getting rid of this salary was important both short and long term.

Schmidt was never much more than journeyman who caught lightening in a jar when he got with Vegas. The momentum that team generated caused many of its players to far exceed what they were previously. And many got moved on b/c Vegas knew that. Schmidt, in reality, is probably a player that should be in the 3 to 3.5 range. He generates little offense (at least here) and is not much more then decent in his own end.

I like others got ahead of myself in my estimation of Schmidt b/c of not recognizing that much of his success was due to the team he played on and the fit he found there. The view that he simply was not going to play to the level of his compensation makes the trade worthwhile even if the return was meagre. (and that point should be mitigated by cap space generated)

Moving ahead Schmidt money could be better spent and hopefully will be.

Ninjadude

Oct 25, 2018
Winner Winner, chicken dinner! At least Benning got a draft pick and didnt retain on salary!

All things considered, its a win for this man!

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
What brilliant use of our cap space by our front office. True genius.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Hughes. Only defenesman who could actually make a play happen. No he was no very good defensively, but he could at least make a proper pass. Everyone else was a legit black hole (including Schmidt). I know you and most will disagree, but I still think he was our #1 and most important. Edler was a trainwreck. Slow as hell.

Anyways, I dont necessarily dislike Schmidt. But he is WAY overpaid. He should be making 3.5-4 and a #4.
True story. No one had a good season, but Hughes is still pretty clearly the most talented player on the team. Rest of the defense struggles with the simplest plays and really can't contribute anything other than being cannon fodder. Can't imagine any other player being given the minutes and breakout/QB responsibilities, they would absolutely crumble with the amount of puck possession Huggy is tasked with (on a team with brutal support all around)

Coaching still the biggest issue, it's no coincidence that Demko is the only good player at preventing goals.

Reactions: alternate

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
With Montour getting resigned (at only 3.5 M/year) the RD options are quite limited on the market. Friedman believes Savard is going to Montreal so that isnt likely. Maybe Hakanpaa? Hope we dont get Ceci, Gudbranson, or Barrie... or someone ancient

Benning tried to get Barrie last year. After the OEL trade, I have a sneaking suspicion he'll try again.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
For someone who is so outgoing and wants out he is being really picky about where he wants to go and its getting annoying. Im sure he has veto'ed other trades. My guess would be they offered a 1st and maybe a prospect for him

That one aged well

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
Let's not forget there were rumblings last season that some players were upset and wanted out after the covid situation. Mighta been schmidt.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00