Confirmed with Link: [VAN/WIN] Canucks acquire 2022 3rd Round Pick for D Nate Schmidt (Part 2)

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Went from "Jims a genius, what a steal, this is like Ehrhoff all over again!" to "Genius Jim got us an audition for free!"

Upside he moved him lost nothing .
I didn't see him really stand out while here wasnt bad and wasnt great worth a try didnt work move on .

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
As Ian Mac-attack just noted "the Canucks have given themselves $10-million-plus to spend in free agency. That should be enough to find a reliable and experienced backup for Demko, at least two more defencemen — one will have to be good enough to replace Schmidt at No. 4 — and perhaps another centre to upgrade the fourth line. Of course, Benning’s biggest mistakes have come in free agency, so many fans will understandably view Wednesday more with dread than excitement."

I say bring Edler back for 1.5mill, and get Halak for one season -- Dipietro will be ready the season after that. That leaves one more D-man to find, and I don't have any brilliant ideas for that one. Fingers crossed that Benning doesn't poop the bed again.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
I believe that Schmidt's contract can be valuable in a suitable situation. He didn't quite fit here while ironically being our best defenceman. The $6M in cap space and the 3rd is a solid return for a player who wanted out, was coming off a poor statistical season and is a year older than when he was traded for roughly the same return.

The Canucks can do better with $6M than what Nate Schmidt brought last year.

This trade makes sense to me.

BrilliantBroReferee

May 18, 2021
Even getting a 3rd back for Schmidt is still kind of a loss imo

Like yeah, you broke even on him technically but also lost out on Tanev because of it
Tanev was lost because of OEL. They made him wait and he signed with the Flames. Schmidt was a a cap dump from Vegas. Toffolli was lost because of Shotgun.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
People are very naive around here.
Less than an year ago Schmidt was the best trade ever and now when he returns the same pick, people are celebrating like they got rid of Erik Gudbranson for a 3rd. It's like you all have collective amnesia and forgot what Jimbo can do when he has money to burn.

@GetFocht To me, it seems that this account is here just to praise Jim and aggravate users who don't like what Jim(over 50% of hfcanucks) has done in the last 7 years. His only job is to bait people and get them banned. Don't "baiters" deserve to be warned and banned? Lots of users get warned for flaming even when they sneeze, but deliberately annoying users who don't like Jim seems to be allowed. This has been a problem here for the last 3-4 years. A lot of users have left or seldom write here because they were banned or are just tired of arguing with users like GetFocht.
HFcanucks is in danger of becoming CDC. You can see the sudden number of users that only post when Jimbo does a trade or signs players. I wonder why that happens...

This is why the ignore function exists.

Use it. Embrace it. Live it.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
Even getting a 3rd back for Schmidt is still kind of a loss imo

Like yeah, you broke even on him technically but also lost out on Tanev because of it
Agreed. We got him for a 3rd because Vegas had to clear cap space to sign Petrangelo. It was not based on his talent. He is talented enough to warrant more than a 3rd round pick....but Benning was unable to even move this up to a 2nd round pick.

Reactions: mossey3535

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Schmidt will do great in Winnipeg. He's the kind of player that can do just about any job you give him, but he's not so amazing that he can take the game over by himself. He will play to the level of the players around him and really shine when he has some puck support.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
After replacing Schmidt's $$ with Poolman and Hamonic, I think I would have rather just had Schmidt.

D core did not get better today in the slightest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad